Gransnet forums

News & politics

Countries can ditch monarchy and become republics ‘calmly and without rancour’ says Prince of Wales

(89 Posts)
Blossoming Fri 24-Jun-22 20:18:11

Does he mean the countries of the UK too?

tinyurl.com/54ct2e5j

Grany Thu 30-Jun-22 14:45:45

These are my reasons to want to get rid of the monarchy

To monarchists Why do you like the RF is it the pomp and ceremonies is it the long history of monarchies!? 70 years of one rein.

Luckily we had stable governments until now, (except with Johnson) That has nothing to do with queen. Queen gives all power to governments so can't step in and stop Johnson getting away with the corruption lies.

Monarchy has brought nothing to the world in any sphere that you can mention. What do we have in a monarchy?

We have lack of transparency, with public money public office, secrecy, unacountability, exemption from the Freedom of information act.

We have legislation altered to suit the Royals suit their private finance. We have environmental laws changed, race discrimination laws changed. Transparency laws changed.

The Royals like to get on environmental bandwagon to keep relevant

We have the Royals in jets helicopters private train, causing huge environmental damage!

They were asked by conservationists to re wild their land to help climate emergency they carry on burning the land for grouse shooting.

National Geographic had a piece about monarchy holding up emergency plans to decarbonise with essential planting around the coastline. They want to charge for this making it prohibitive.

We found out that Royals hardly work at all! Read 'Giving Evidence Royals and charities' on Google

Royal funding goes up not down it has a golden rachet clause tell me monarchists is any of this fair.

Can you see there is another way a president who is elected and accountable to the people. shock

There are many excellent presidents around. We would have a parliamentary republic similar to Ireland, not France or USA. And the cost to public purse a huge improvement. By the way republics do have pomp and ceremonies too.

Parsley3 Mon 27-Jun-22 09:37:40

I love a good gossip, me.

DaisyAnne Mon 27-Jun-22 08:41:04

We are discussing amending the constitution of this country and changing its fundamental workings.

If one or other sides of the argument put forward proof that they think shows their view is correct, it is reasonable to ask for enough information to allow checks to show how credible it is.

Otherwise, it is just gossip.

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 17:54:51

They're historians, not Daily Express journalists.

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-22 17:48:27

Glorianny not testing, ‘some say’ is very much like ‘sources close to ‘ and you said ‘it does seem the RF have always been up
to slightly unsavoury things ‘

Glorianny Sun 26-Jun-22 17:39:58

The names are in the documentary Annie sorry I didn't know I was going to be tested so I didn't write them down.

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-22 14:27:04

‘However some say’. no names just ‘some’

Glorianny Sun 26-Jun-22 13:50:19

Historians Anniebach. There is no doubt that Blunt was sent to Germany. His official mission was to bring back correspondence from Queen Victoria to her daughter to prevent others having it. However some say there were other papers he was after and that he was also collecting jewellery for the RF. He went back a second time it was said to. return some of the jewellery when it was feared they would be outed as looters

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-22 12:35:56

An idea put forward by whom ?

Glorianny Sun 26-Jun-22 11:53:50

I watched a programme last night about Anthony Blunt and his links with the RF. One of the ideas put forward was that Blunt was sent to Germany at the end of WW2 on some very dodgy business for the RF and one of the reasons he was never charged or tried was because he knew too much about the RF. It does seem that the RF have always been up to slightly unsavoury things which don't fit with the image we are being sold.

Grany Sun 26-Jun-22 11:46:24

Don't think Charles would want to give up his funding and privileges means U.K.

Republic will be writing to Prince Charles, the UK Government, MPs and the Charity Commission, calling on all relevant authorities to investigate and disclose the nature of Charles's financial dealings with Sheikh Hammad.

Speaking for Republic today, Graham Smith said: "This story is shocking. Prince Charles met Sheikh Hamad in private, with no officials present and with no disclosure of the meeting in the court circular."

"The Sheikh then made three payments directly and personally to Prince Charles, totalling €3m, which Charles gave to a charity he set up to pursue his pet projects and help run one of his estates.

"Sheikh Hamad faces serious accusations over human rights and has significant financial and other interests here in the UK.

Grany Sun 26-Jun-22 09:22:24

DiamondLily

Charles has got problems of his own today:

"Prince Charles was last night engulfed in a major controversy following claims he accepted a suitcase stuffed with €1 million in cash for his charity from a billionaire Qatari sheik.

On another occasion the controversial politician is said to have given the heir to the throne the same amount – equivalent to £820,000 – in wads of banknotes packed into carrier bags from royal grocer Fortnum & Mason.

In total, Charles reportedly received €3 million in cash for the Prince of Wales Charity Foundation from Sheik Hamad Bin Jassim Bin Jaber Al Thani, the former prime minister of Qatar, in payments made between 2011 and 2015."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10953159/Prince-Charles-faces-questions-claims-accepted-1MILLION-cash-suitcase-Sheik.html

Oh my gosh and he going to be our Head of State hmm

Grany Sun 26-Jun-22 08:56:51

Don't know when the met police will investigate without fear or favour Charles and his cash for honours.

DiamondLily Sun 26-Jun-22 04:40:42

Charles has got problems of his own today:

"Prince Charles was last night engulfed in a major controversy following claims he accepted a suitcase stuffed with €1 million in cash for his charity from a billionaire Qatari sheik.

On another occasion the controversial politician is said to have given the heir to the throne the same amount – equivalent to £820,000 – in wads of banknotes packed into carrier bags from royal grocer Fortnum & Mason.

In total, Charles reportedly received €3 million in cash for the Prince of Wales Charity Foundation from Sheik Hamad Bin Jassim Bin Jaber Al Thani, the former prime minister of Qatar, in payments made between 2011 and 2015."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10953159/Prince-Charles-faces-questions-claims-accepted-1MILLION-cash-suitcase-Sheik.html

Ali08 Sun 26-Jun-22 03:37:43

Newquay

Will RF accept living on less public money though?
Heard that jubilee cost about £28m and that came from
Public funds. Shameful at the mo-RF should pay for this out of their own wealth.
And stop this Duchy nonsense too!

But how much did it earn? People come from far and wide to catch a glimpse of our RF, & the Palace etc.

nanna8 Sun 26-Jun-22 01:55:42

A republic won’t happen in the UK anytime soon. Obviously. A lot of class stuff and vested interest going back centuries. I’m hoping it might happen here, though but I won’t hold my breath - far too many scaremongers amongst the politicians.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 23:53:04

Thank you!

DaisyAnne Sat 25-Jun-22 23:27:16

Callistemon21

Off to Glasto
?

You have stayed the course well Callistemon. Enjoy yourself.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 21:54:45

Off to Glasto
?

volver Sat 25-Jun-22 21:38:27

Try telling that to some of your pro-independence supporters.

They're not my supporters. I don't tell them what to think. Whoever "they" are.

You can change what you've posted and add words after the event as much as you want. But I'm responding to what you post, not what you are thinking but not posting.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 21:30:28

From others' posts on here I thought Scotland would want to be rid of anything that could be considered English and that includes the Monarchy according to them.
Try reading again.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 21:29:34

volver

You think the Monarchy is English, do you? How sweet. ?

Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt. Take it from someone who knows. The Scottish independence movement is not republican.

No, not me. No need to patroniseme.
But some on here do seem to think that for some reason.
Very odd.

Try telling that to some of your pro-independence supporters.

volver Sat 25-Jun-22 19:12:43

You think the Monarchy is English, do you? How sweet. ?

Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt. Take it from someone who knows. The Scottish independence movement is not republican.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Jun-22 18:52:28

volver

If you think the independence movement in Scotland is anything at all to do with being a republic, then you don't understand how it works at all.

Ask your Australian relatives if they live in an independent country that isn't a republic.

Yes I do understand
Perhaps you don't understand me.

I'm amazed you claim (more than once) Scotland could still retain the Monarch as HofS if Scotland became a republic so why would you, in particular as a republican, say that? Surely it would be part of your independence argument?

I'll rephrase that
I'm amazed you claim (more than once) that Scotland might still want to retain the Monarchy as HofS if Scotland became an independent country?

From others' posts on here I thought Scotland would want to be rid of anything that could be considered English and that includes the Monarchy, so we are told.
Again and again - I think we've got the message now.

volver Sat 25-Jun-22 18:31:49

If you think the independence movement in Scotland is anything at all to do with being a republic, then you don't understand how it works at all.

Ask your Australian relatives if they live in an independent country that isn't a republic.