Gransnet forums

News & politics

Abortion Ban in the USA: a huge setback to women's rights

(9 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Fri 16-Sep-22 10:55:38

Where they go, we often follow.

NanKate Fri 16-Sep-22 08:17:51

I agree Lanky very worrying. The US appears to be taking a backwards step.

NotSpaghetti Fri 16-Sep-22 07:12:32

Here it is:
Roe v Wade

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/a1309925-Roe-v-Wade

NotSpaghetti Fri 16-Sep-22 07:06:30

There was a thread of 20+ pages in May as well

Taronsa Fri 16-Sep-22 04:36:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Hithere Sun 26-Jun-22 21:14:03

"It would seem the "pro-life" stance only extends to being "pro-birth": there is no talk of support for the children once born and I have yet to hear the word "father" mentioned. Fathers get to have a free ride and predominantly men make the laws"

I fully agree, but dont tell prolifers that because they will deny it to dearh

MaizieD Sun 26-Jun-22 18:21:16

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1312036-RIP-The-right-of-a-woman-to-choose?msgid=29467786

Galaxy Sun 26-Jun-22 18:06:34

Theres quite a long thread started a couple of days ago on this subject.

LankyDolly Sun 26-Jun-22 17:56:36

I can't believe I'm the first person to start a thread on this but I can't find one. I'm just wondering what others on here think. Personally, I'm horrified that the Supreme Court in the US has voted to overturn the ruling of Roe vs Wade, paving the way for strict bans on abortion in many states, even in the case of rape, or a non-viable foetus. I do respect the opinions of people who are against abortion, and therefore support their right not to have one, but I also support the right of other individuals to choose. While some states have vowed to keep it legal, there are vast distances for some women to travel if they live in a state where it is illegal. So what this really means is that there is a ban on LEGAL abortion.

It would seem the "pro-life" stance only extends to being "pro-birth": there is no talk of support for the children once born and I have yet to hear the word "father" mentioned. Fathers get to have a free ride and predominantly men make the laws. It has been said that this will embolden other countries to go in the same direction which is very worrying. Who would have thought things could take such a retrograde turn and why?