Gransnet forums

News & politics

Logan Mwangi's family sentenced for his murder.

(49 Posts)
DiamondLily Thu 30-Jun-22 15:17:51

What a sad and horrible case.?

"A mother, stepfather and a teenager have been given life sentences for murdering five-year-old Logan Mwangi and dumping his body in a river

John Cole, 40, will serve a minimum term of 29 years in prison while Logan's mother, Angharad Williamson, 31, will serve at least 28 years.

The boy, 14, will serve at least 15 years. All three were convicted of murdering Logan in July 2021.

His body was found in the River Ogmore, near his home in Sarn, Bridgend county.

Mrs Justice Jefford told Cardiff Crown Court that the attack on the "defenceless" schoolboy, who was 3ft 5in (104cm) tall and weighed 3st 1lb (20kg), was "nothing short of horrifying"."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61952430

Kate1949 Fri 01-Jul-22 19:58:46

The sad fact is that these people enjoy torturing the child. Little Arthur's grandmother wanted to take him but they wouldn't let him go. Vile creatures.

Iam64 Fri 01-Jul-22 18:57:56

I apologise Houseplantqueen. I didn’t read properly as thought you’d said there was a baby born, fathered by Cole, yo the 14 year olds mother
I wonder how the adopters and their social workers will help that baby understand his birth parents, , the death if his older half brother? It will be sensitively and age appropriate but what a difficult life long experience

tickingbird Fri 01-Jul-22 18:43:47

There is a younger child but I don’t think he was adopted. He no doubt will be now but I think he lived with them.

Iam64 Fri 01-Jul-22 18:23:08

HousePlantQueen

I understand there was a baby born to Logan's mother, fathered by Cole. Adopted one hopes and with a chance of decent safe life.

The history of the adults in this awful scenario rings more alarm bells every time more information is known, the baby who was adopted was Cole’s biological child. So, either he consented to the adoption, or a family court concluded he shouldn’t be in the child’s life.
It sounds like a fragmented jigsaw, with no-one motivated to join the pieces. Makes me despair

BlueBelle Fri 01-Jul-22 18:22:02

Have you a link Houseplantqueen I ve not heard that before I didn’t think Cole had been with her that long had he?

HousePlantQueen Fri 01-Jul-22 17:50:10

I understand there was a baby born to Logan's mother, fathered by Cole. Adopted one hopes and with a chance of decent safe life.

tickingbird Fri 01-Jul-22 15:48:06

His birth father had been stopped from seeing him and his maternal grandmother was banned from the house by Cole. I don’t get the impression Williams was terrified of Cole. Just the usual putting the boyfriend before the child.

DiamondLily Fri 01-Jul-22 15:19:10

Children on the Child Protection Register, are supposed to have a named social worker/key-worker. It doesn't always happen.

Many CP departments, if a child's "status" is "downgraded" to "child in need" take away the key-worker, and duty workers end up dealing with it.

Obviously, Covid and lockdowns added massively to the problem - abused children fell through every net.

Social workers try hard, but they are overworked and under resourced. Many are frightened of the parents. A lot are young, not parents, and perhaps cannot always see through the lies that parents feed them.

But, there were a lot of agencies involved with this child - the GP, hospitals, the police, social services and education.

All seemed to have failed him. His birth father hadn't seen him for months, there has been no mention of extended family or neighbours - no one seemed to intervene.

These cases just keep on happening. ?

Iam64 Fri 01-Jul-22 15:10:43

I’m not disagreeing about the need to share information. My experience was some of the multi agency staff involved in a child protection plan believe ‘data protection’ stops them sharing the information needed to develop a full picture of a child’s life.
I can’t find any chronology on line that summarises the decisions leading to the 14 year old being placed in Logan’s family. The daily Mail says he was taken into care after being injured by his mother. I may be wrong but I suspect it was voluntary not statutory care.
If so, no family court would have been overseeing his care plan, no judge, no children’sguardian. It seems Logan’s mother and step father applied for and we’re granted parental responsibility for the 14 year old. A ‘social work source’ told the DM they were shocked this decision could happen so quickly.
I’m shocked but sadly not surprised that from what little is in the public domaine, that the decision making for the 14 year old doesn’t seem to have involved the usual in depth assessment that would have involved an assessment of Logan’s needs in relation to the 14 year old moving in. Why was Logan on a cp plan, what led to that being down graded to a child in need plan.
It’s also untrue as some reports say, that children in need don’t have a named social worker, the do and it’s clear /Logan did. She visited the day before he died. His mother refused to let the sw see Logan, claimed he was isolating with covid.

Apologies for going on. Like other posters, I’ve been very distressed (and angry) about this little boy’s death and all that surrounds it

DiamondLily Fri 01-Jul-22 14:53:08

Iam64

The family courts are confidential, rather than highly secretive. Children aged up to 16 were consulted about their family court procedures being reported in the press. The overwhelming response was no, we don’t want publicity. Parents generally feel the same.
In some high profile cases, Judgements have been made available on line.

Yes, I know, from when I used to work in a Child Protection Department.

But, sometimes, they won't share information, that should be shared, even with appropriate agencies/people.

I think the government were talking about reforming them, somehow, but I don't think anything happened.

There does need, and it has been needed for years, much more "joined up thinking" between all agencies involved in child protection.

It was supposed to happen, back in the 90's, but it's still not working properly.?

Iam64 Fri 01-Jul-22 14:43:04

The family courts are confidential, rather than highly secretive. Children aged up to 16 were consulted about their family court procedures being reported in the press. The overwhelming response was no, we don’t want publicity. Parents generally feel the same.
In some high profile cases, Judgements have been made available on line.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 08:33:26

I meant they are more sensible than 12 years, or some of the other ridiculous sentences meted out for systematic, sustained torture.

My feelings are clear in that they wouldn't be getting out at all alive if it was up to me.

BlueBelle Fri 01-Jul-22 08:30:02

I did watch it I needed to it’s not about my comfort it’s about knowing what happened to that poor child
I disagree that the sentences are sensible MissA they should never ever get out and that child will be barely 30 when he walks free I m a peace loving person but I hope they get a good beating in prison to see how it feels

What I ve read was she was a reasonably good mother until she met Cole and the school say he was a happy child the little photos and videos of him seemed happy, smiley, clean
When did she meet this monster? how long had he been in her life? what the hell did he have that turned her to him it wasn’t looks for sure ugly face with an ugly soul ?

I would have killed for my children no one would have ever laid a finger on them How dare she cry and holler when she not only didn’t protect him but joined in the abuse

I feel so angry for Logan and so so utterly sad

DiamondLily Fri 01-Jul-22 08:23:33

It seems, from some reports that, in this case, it was the highly secretive Family Court, after hearing from Cafcass, and social workers, who actually decided that Logan could live with his SF, and that Mulligan would be safe around Logan, in the family home.

Family Court proceedings and evidence are not released to anyone, under confidentiality rules.

One social worker did try to express her concerns but no one was listening. ?

tickingbird Fri 01-Jul-22 08:18:02

Apart from anything else the question now being asked is why did the authorities allow the obviously disturbed (evil) teenage boy to live with this pair and poor Logan?

This lad is seen on body cam footage last night telling police officers to get out of his f******g room when he was being arrested for murder. They were living in a two bedroomed flat for goodness sake. There isn’t even any blood relative but they were allowed to have him knowing he had sadistic tendencies and little Logan had already been on the at risk register.

As for her and her fake histrionics. What a self obsessed, cold, calculating piece of work. Not one tear for her son; all for herself.

RIP Logan.

MissAdventure Fri 01-Jul-22 08:03:33

I've yet to hear of a,case where the family weren't known to child protection services.
Unpopular to say, but true.

Of course there are cases that are under the radar, precisely because the system worked, but it's sickening to hear increasingly of children being tortured to death.

Shelflife Fri 01-Jul-22 07:55:21

In these dreadful cases we often learn that the child was known to social services, children are sometimes removed from abusive parents and then returned!!! Why? I find that very difficult to understand, If parents have abused their child once then I think the chance of it happening again is very high. As for the teenager with a very disturbing history living in the house with the child -- I am speechless.

glammanana Fri 01-Jul-22 07:23:56

tickingbird

There’s actually a programme on itv now following the investigation from start to finish. Heartbreaking. I hope they rot. Evil bastards.

I started to watch this and had to switch off after 10 mins it was so upsetting.
The three of them should never be freed such evil vile creatures.
My heart is broken for that little boy RIP Logan.flowers

sodapop Fri 01-Jul-22 07:16:40

I realise that some parents can't see their children through no fault of their own rafichagran and that is very hard. There are many others though who don't take responsibility for their children when parents are not together. They often seem to be the ones blaming Social Care Services and any one other than themselves.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 22:21:17

I usually watch a lot of crime programmes, but I will be giving this one a miss.
At least the sentences are sensible.

tickingbird Thu 30-Jun-22 21:32:19

There’s actually a programme on itv now following the investigation from start to finish. Heartbreaking. I hope they rot. Evil bastards.

rafichagran Thu 30-Jun-22 21:21:29

It is not always the absent parents fault sodapop my son has not seen his child in 2 years, he pays maintenance and has repeatedly asked to see my Grandchild. He has no criminal record, is not violent, and he works. He is in another stable relationship. He is now having to go down the route of the courts.

Welshwife Thu 30-Jun-22 21:20:06

Imagine the jury in this case - having to sit and listen to all the dreadful details - just normal decent people - one interviewed this evening said she found it difficult to sleep. They have been told they will never have to sit on a jury again.

sodapop Thu 30-Jun-22 21:05:56

Thanks for the info Callistemon 21 I wonder if the bio father made strenuous efforts to keep an eye on his son's welfare. Social Care Services get a lot of flak in cases like this and sometimes deservedly so but absent parents appear on the scene wailing when it's all too late.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Jun-22 19:59:34

sodapop

Where was his bio father in all this rafichagran ?

Another horrific crime perpetrated against an innocent unprotected child. Once again "lessons will be learned"

His father lived in Essex, apparently mother left father and contact was infrequent but when she got together with Cole, Cole stopped any contact because he was jealous of any contact between Williamson and her ex-husband Ben Mwangi.