Gransnet forums

News & politics

For those of you worrying about fascism and our government

(5 Posts)
MaizieD Mon 04-Jul-22 14:06:04

Peter Oborne flagged up this review on twitter this morning. I found it a really interesting read. It's a review of a new book about the Cato Street conspiracy in the early 1800s, but it continues with a critique of current government legislation.

www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v44/n13/ferdinand-mount/shades-of-peterloo

I found it fascinating from the historical point of view because it's 'my' period of interest, but most interesting is that the reviewer, Ferdinand Mount, isn't exactly a member of the far left tendency.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Mount

(It is a long read)

Franbern Mon 04-Jul-22 15:30:45

Very interesting reading, thank you MaizieD. Very frightening also.

Grannmarie Mon 04-Jul-22 19:24:08

'But what happens if the Prime Minister no longer even pretends to be a good chap?'
Ferdinand Mount.

Thank you, MaizieD. Chilling.

varian Mon 04-Jul-22 20:14:41

We have a uniquely dishonest PM who actually does not even care about being caught lying.

He doesn't care that he's been caught out and neither do his supporters so he gets away with it time and time again.

Do you remember the two Russians who went to Salisbury and after the Skripals were poisoned were interviewed on Russian TV? They said they just wanted to see the famous Salisbury Cathedral, in spite of the fact they had not gone anywhere near the cathedral on their trip to Salisbury. Their whole demenour shouted out "We're lying to you. You know we're lying. We know that you know - but what are you going to do about it?" They were snubbing their noses at us.

This is what Boris Johnson does - he lies, he cheats, he behaves disgracefully and he enjoys the fact that he can always get away with it. He treats the British people with utter contempt and yet the most guillible voters still support him.s

RichmondPark Mon 04-Jul-22 20:18:53

Succinctly sums up all the issues that have been making my skin crawl about this current administration. Good to see it put into words by someone so knowledgeable.

I especially found the description of the 'wedge issue' ploy helpful. It completely explains the success of the leave campaign and the Tory party.