Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why is Keir Starmer trying to put so many voters off?

(166 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Mon 04-Jul-22 17:39:27

He's put off a lot of women because he seemed to have some difficulty in say what a woman actually is. Now it seems that he is putting off the increasing number of voters who think that Brexit is a disaster. There is a growing opinion that we should attempt to rejoin the single market and the customs union, but he is reported to be saying that neither will happen. I have a terrible dread that he is going to ensure that we have an eternal Tory government. angry sad

What do others think?

Doodledog Wed 06-Jul-22 14:43:29

Iam64

I had the radio not tv MayBee70, day more please

This is the way he delivered the trickier questions on PMQs. Basically with his back to half of the house, and not making eye contact with the opposition.

Chewbacca Wed 06-Jul-22 14:44:53

Nicolae Ceaușescu borrowed the 1930s Stalinist dogma that population growth would fuel economic growth and fused this idea with the conservatism of his rural childhood. In the first year of his rule, his government issued Decree 770, which outlawed abortion for women under 40 with fewer than four children.
And we all know what happened to him.

Iam64 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:52:55

Thanks Doodle

MaizieD Wed 06-Jul-22 14:58:36

M0nica

If the goverment want to increase the birthrate, the way forward is to make it easier to have children and bring them up, free child care, adequate financial support, to name but two

They could try restoring the child allowance to families with more than two children...

Chewbacca Wed 06-Jul-22 15:06:30

Would I be insane for thinking that, before enforcing child births, we should first have the infrastructure in place to accommodate them? Little things like ante natal care not being on the bones of its arse, stop closing maternity wards down, support and supplement child care and nurseries, build more schools in ratio with the houses being built and train more midwives so that every mother has a reasonable expectation of decent care.

Dinahmo Wed 06-Jul-22 15:10:48

Monica

I'm one of the child free and I have never moaned about paying taxes for education etc. Like most child free/less people I am fully aware that, apart from anything else, the children that I've helped to educate may one day be looking after me.

I think that most people are well aware that the taxes we pay benefit everyone in one way or another. If they aren't aware then they have to be very very stupid.

Doodledog Wed 06-Jul-22 15:17:26

I'm not a fan of the state interfering with lifestyle choices, but if they really want to encourage larger families the way forward would be to have tax allowances for families rather than increase taxes for those without children. Positive measures are always more popular than punitive ones.

Either way up, it's a change in approach from the cap on benefits for those with more than two babies, isn't it?

Chewbacca Wed 06-Jul-22 15:28:17

Agreed Doodledog; carrots always draw a more positive outcome than sticks.

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 19:00:05

Dinahmo, I was not suggesting this is how single and people with no children think. But in the past when I was working and juggling the care of young children, it was an argument a heard from a number of people - and which I scotched.

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Jul-22 20:24:58

MaizieD

M0nica

If the goverment want to increase the birthrate, the way forward is to make it easier to have children and bring them up, free child care, adequate financial support, to name but two

They could try restoring the child allowance to families with more than two children...

I really don't think we should encourage the birth rate.
For the sake of the planet, the whole world population should not increase but we need other nations to get on board with this idea.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Jul-22 20:30:46

Changing the subject a tad.

Just imagine that next week we could find ourselves with no party leaders, if Starmer gets found guilty by Durham police, and Johnson is forced out.

Blimey!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Jul-22 20:31:53

Well of course there would still be the Lib Dems and SNP ?

M0nica Wed 06-Jul-22 21:50:56

Callistemon The pressure on population is no longer births. Most countries have a birthrate at or near replacement and a significant number to not even manage that.

The big pressure from population comes through longevity. You, me and millons of old people round the world living a decade or more longer than their parents.

maddyone Thu 07-Jul-22 15:34:49

Blimey, I hope I don’t live a decade more than my mother. She’s 94 and a half already. I’ve got no desire to live to 104.

Witzend Thu 07-Jul-22 15:38:24

Me neither. Mine was 97 - and she’d had dementia for maybe 15 years.
Not a fate I want to emulate!