Gransnet forums

News & politics

Next Tory leader

(235 Posts)
varian Tue 05-Jul-22 20:56:24

The Tory party needs a leader who demonstartes the prevailing standards of moral probity or intelligence

How about Chris Pincher or David Warburton if moral probity is key or Nadine Dorries or Jacon Rees Mogg to demonstrate the typical level of intelligence?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:36:54

Some info on candidates (potential and otherwise)

Most right wing

Suella Braverman

Promises to get rid of all this “woke rubbish” There is a rights culture that has spun out of control.

Steve Baker

Rising pensions and welfare spending is unsustainable. So expect severe cuts if he gets in

Liz Truss

Enthusiastic remainer who is now an enthusiastic brexiter. Not sure that is relevant any more

Rishi Sunak

Socially liberal, sees getting the public finances “under control” as important, even to the extent of cutting spending and raising tax.

Nadhim Zahawi

Second richest MP. Wants to cut business tax

Centrist MPs

Sayid Javid

Says he is a low tax Tory. But as health Secretary he pushed hard for more health and social care spending. Signed up to raise NI to pay for it.

Ben Wallace

A bit if a not known really.

Left of party

Penny Mordaunt

Brexiter. Economy more left, keen advocate of LGBTQ+ rights

Jeremy Hunt

What you know is what you’ll get.

Tom Tugendhat

Promises to bridge the Brexit divide. Former soldier, from the soft left of party.

Smileless2012 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:32:58

Great choice hollysteers; if only grin.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:24:10

So in the Guardia”members tend to be male residents of Soutgern England and overwhelmingly white”

However voting is not predictable.

Wallace most popular with Mordant coming second.

Most members are totally inactive as far as the party is concerned, and get their information from the media.

They are largely socially conservative, and tough on law and order, but a significant minority felt that ordinary working people did not get their fair share of U.K. wealth. “One law for rich, one for poor”

DaisyAnne Sat 09-Jul-22 09:15:44

It doesn't matter what we think, does it.

I cannot find a map of how the Conservative Party Membership is spread in the country. I have read they do not release figures on this but that was an old report. Does anyone know? After all, not much point in interviewing people in the "Red Wall" seats if none of them actually has a vote.

I can't quite work out if Conservative Home is just for members. This is their lastest polling and is obviously recent but undated!

NotSpaghetti Sat 09-Jul-22 08:32:20

hollysteers

My choice ?

Is this a real leaflet?

DiamondLily Sat 09-Jul-22 05:40:22

Looks like Sunak has been head of the game for months:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10996811/Rishi-Sunak-urges-Sajid-Javid-step-aside-join-leadership-bid-secret-pact.html

Ailidh Sat 09-Jul-22 04:52:16

LondonMzFitz

Cherrytree59

Ben Wallace ?

Ben Wallace is

Pro-foxhunting - source www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/politics/uk-politics/943150/profile-ben-wallace-mp-new-defence-secretary-defended-stracathro-and-fox-hunting/

Against same sex marriage - source www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11668/ben_wallace/wyre_and_preston_north/divisions?policy=826

In my opinion both the above shows Ben Wallace is out of touch with the average Jo/Joe on the street.

Indeed. I've looked up quite a few of the candidates over the last couple of days on that site and not yet found one that doesn't appear to have views I'm uncomfortable with.

That said, I don't know how many of those issues were free votes or if they had to follow the party line; and anyway, I don't get to choose.

hollysteers Sat 09-Jul-22 02:18:44

My choice ?

sharon103 Sat 09-Jul-22 02:07:49

Kandinsky

Well. In some ways I’ll miss him.
He was a bit different, a bit fun, something we’ve never had before.
He’s seen us through a global pandemic and brexit - 2 of the biggest political & social upheavals in decades. Not many would have coped with all that.

Well said Kandinsky. I'll miss him too.

silverlining48 Fri 08-Jul-22 14:14:19

Why is the deputy PM not taking over pro tem. Its ridiculous that bj has been able to staty on as PM.

Blinko Fri 08-Jul-22 14:12:06

Devorgilla

I’m not ruling out Boris rising like a Phoenix from the flames. If he can wheedle a way to stand he will. His speech was a direct appeal to the Party members and public supporters, along the lines that they voted him in and only they can take it from him. He’s still there and he can create more damage. They need to replace him with a caretaker now. Not cracking open the champers yet.

My thought exactly. The man is a danger.

Farzanah Fri 08-Jul-22 14:00:48

In the end the people who will decide on our next leader will be retired, middle class, predominantly men, and from the south, aka the Tory Party members main demographic.

Devorgilla Fri 08-Jul-22 13:40:08

I’m not ruling out Boris rising like a Phoenix from the flames. If he can wheedle a way to stand he will. His speech was a direct appeal to the Party members and public supporters, along the lines that they voted him in and only they can take it from him. He’s still there and he can create more damage. They need to replace him with a caretaker now. Not cracking open the champers yet.

Kandinsky Fri 08-Jul-22 13:33:50

Nothing wrong in being boring ( I should know ) it’s just he seems a bit weak & lack lustre - not sure why?
Some politicians, even if you don’t support their party or ideas, make you sit up & listen. I suppose it’s called ‘charisma’ - he just hasn’t got it.
But then John Major won elections & he had about as much charisma as a 5 day old cheese sandwich.

Lucca Fri 08-Jul-22 13:20:53

So sick of hearing about starmer being boring. Such a silly reason to not vote for a politician. And he isn’t .he speaks well. So a buffoon who takes nothing seriously and is dishonest is preferable ?

Cagsy Fri 08-Jul-22 13:04:24

Rees Mogg that is

Cagsy Fri 08-Jul-22 13:03:48

Well said, odious creature

LondonMzFitz Fri 08-Jul-22 12:43:29

Cherrytree59

Ben Wallace ?

Ben Wallace is

Pro-foxhunting - source www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/politics/uk-politics/943150/profile-ben-wallace-mp-new-defence-secretary-defended-stracathro-and-fox-hunting/

Against same sex marriage - source www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11668/ben_wallace/wyre_and_preston_north/divisions?policy=826

In my opinion both the above shows Ben Wallace is out of touch with the average Jo/Joe on the street.

Casdon Fri 08-Jul-22 12:42:22

Some hope it will be this guy.

Farzanah Fri 08-Jul-22 12:41:10

Ministers who’ve been in Johnson’s cabinet are tainted by association imo. Others have discovered “integrity” all of a sudden, and jumped ship only when they knew Johnson was on the way out. Completely self serving, and I would be hard pressed to vote for any of them.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jul-22 12:34:38

DaisyAnne

Nice chap on Politics Live with some ideas that aren't too scary - John Baron. He won't win as he is being far to reasonable.

Exactly my thoughts. Measured and stable

DaisyAnne Fri 08-Jul-22 12:20:59

Nice chap on Politics Live with some ideas that aren't too scary - John Baron. He won't win as he is being far to reasonable.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-Jul-22 11:30:45

Rishie Sunak got a fine. Not sure how that qualifies him for potential leadership as he is already guilty of a criminal offence.

He is imho too much of a lightweight in any case and I can’t see him being a strong leader.

His indication that he will reintroduce austerity is not good news, particularly for those trying to make ends meet.

sazz1 Fri 08-Jul-22 11:05:13

What I'd like to know is how many of those that resigned were actually enjoying partys at number 10 and received fines?
Traitors all of them. Boris was too soft with his staff, forgave them for everything and look where he is now. Don't want any of those who resigned to be next PM. Bad lot all of them

Greta Fri 08-Jul-22 10:52:03

I agree, Whitewavemark2, I think Steve Baker is another dangerous man. Wasn't he one of the most fervent campaigners for Brexit?