Gransnet forums

News & politics

Next Tory leader

(235 Posts)
varian Tue 05-Jul-22 20:56:24

The Tory party needs a leader who demonstartes the prevailing standards of moral probity or intelligence

How about Chris Pincher or David Warburton if moral probity is key or Nadine Dorries or Jacon Rees Mogg to demonstrate the typical level of intelligence?

Lucca Sun 10-Jul-22 05:08:31

Dinahmo

Marina Hyde - amusing as ever. One or two have dropped out of the leadership race since this was written.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/08/boris-johnson-out-resignation-tory

Such a good article !

Ailidh Sat 09-Jul-22 19:07:42

Dinahmo

Marina Hyde - amusing as ever. One or two have dropped out of the leadership race since this was written.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/08/boris-johnson-out-resignation-tory

Much enjoyed reading that. All her thumbnail sketches were great.

Has anyone else noticed that the picture of Nadhim Zahawi on the BBC news app makes him look like Ming the Merciless?

lemsip Sat 09-Jul-22 19:07:39

In the news two days ago!
Boris Johnson has resigned as Conservative leader

Iam64 Sat 09-Jul-22 18:49:13

I agree, Johnson is capable of standing as Tory leader.

Dinahmo Sat 09-Jul-22 18:21:34

Whitewavemark2

I wonder if this is true?

Petronella Wyatt
@PetronellaWyatt
A source at Number 10 tells me that Boris Johnson intends to stand down as Prime Minister on Monday, in order to run for the Tory leadership.

I wouldn't put it past him. But would he make it to the final 2? If he did I bet the Tory Party members would chose him.

Dinahmo Sat 09-Jul-22 18:20:35

MawtheMerrier Sat 09-Jul-22 18:15:58

Next Prime Minister?
I’d vote for him over the others any day grin

varian Sat 09-Jul-22 17:04:45

The ultra right wing Kemi Badenoch wants to be our next PM.

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62103360

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 16:00:48

I wonder if this is true?

Petronella Wyatt
@PetronellaWyatt
A source at Number 10 tells me that Boris Johnson intends to stand down as Prime Minister on Monday, in order to run for the Tory leadership.

Grandmabatty Sat 09-Jul-22 15:45:47

From the Independent.
Anti-abortion MP Jacob Rees-Mogg admits profiting from sale of abortion pills
The Somerset MP is against abortion even in rape cases, but profits from the sale of pills widely used in illegal abortions in Indonesia
Admittedly it's a few years old (2017) but nevertheless still holds, so the eye rolling Bluefox is unnecessary.

MayBee70 Sat 09-Jul-22 15:14:12

Ben Wallace is out. Surely his supporters will switch to Tom Tugendhat. Are all these Johnson supporters putting their names forward to lengthen the process of choosing a new leader thereby giving Johnson more time to admire his wallpaper and go to his holiday home. I think the 1922 committee will scupper that.

Bluefox Sat 09-Jul-22 14:32:50

Grandmabatty

Rees Mogg has integrity? The devout Catholic who voted against abortion but owns a company which produces abortion pills? That Mogg? The condescending sneering pencil who lies almost as much as Johnson? Okay then. ?

JRM does not own a company which produces abortion pills. ?

Katie59 Sat 09-Jul-22 11:13:20

It’s hard to imagine a moderate Tory party that wasn’t hamstrung by the ERG, if, at the next election a decent 20 seat majority was achieved, it would just be ERG rule.

Not a great prospect for much change.

Glorianny Sat 09-Jul-22 10:44:48

Whoever becomes leader I think their personal views will be largely irrelevant. The Tories will be focussed firmly on the next election and trying not to lose too many seats. So there will be some sort of financial deal to appeal to the poorest, something specifically for the Northern constituencies and some headline grabbing policy. After all they have lost 2 things since the last election, Brexit's done and Boris is gone, they will need something.

growstuff Sat 09-Jul-22 10:21:11

Whitewavemark2

growstuff

You can add my MP, Kemi Badenoch, to the list. She's up at the top somewhere with Braverman.

Was she the one on QT this week. I think she’s related to Ghengis Khan ?

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest! She's an appalling constituency MP and it's been very obvious from the time she was selected that she's only interested in her career. She's a "culture warrior" and makes up all sorts of stuff about what is taught in schools. She produced a report claiming there is no racism in the UK and lies about her background. She also hacked into Harriet Harman's website and boasted about it. She lives in Wimbledon, despite promising to move to her constituency, and I doubt if she even knows that anywhere north of Watford exists. She has an army of trolls who produce supportive messages for social media.

DaisyAnne Sat 09-Jul-22 10:08:05

MaizieD

I'm willing to bet that every single one of them will continue to sell off the NHS and cut government spending.

Every single one of them will further damage the economy.

I think their position on the R -L spectrum is pretty irrelevant because the ERG will still dominate...

Our futures are in the hands of such a small number of people. It would be okay if Conservative MPs were team players; they are, quite plainly, not. Although, they put great store by being "loyal" to those who don't deserve it - including themselves.

I listened to The Escape Artist: The Man Who Broke Out of Auschwitz to Warn the World read on Radio 4. Rudolf Vrba escaped from Auschwitz. He used his phenomenal memory to write a report, which was read by Churchill and Roosevelt. They did nothing. He finally concluded that people cannot believe what they are unable to imagine.

This is the British problem. Many couldn't imagine that a government could base what it said were truths, on deception. Look where that has taken us.

Equally, people don't recognise that those in government mean some of the population ill; they think it will not be them. They will, once again, vote for their own destruction. In a way, Johnson is a trivial interjection - used for his ability to deceive those who only want to be entertained. The greater good, statesmanship, and integrity are not for them - it's boring.

Personally, I would rather be bored than imagine what any clown can do to us while we are not concentrating. However, that is probably talking about a general election. We will not get one of those until this frightening farce is completely played out.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 10:06:33

You know what people meant now when they said that Johnson would take everyone down with him.

Everyone bar I guess a few have been guilty of mendacity, and that is a real issue when choosing a leader.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 10:04:20

Chris Bryant
@RhonddaBryant
·
54m
All of the candidates for Tory leader will try to present themselves as a change from the era of mendacity under Johnson, but just ask them “how did you vote on Owen Paterson?”

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:59:57

growstuff

You can add my MP, Kemi Badenoch, to the list. She's up at the top somewhere with Braverman.

Was she the one on QT this week. I think she’s related to Ghengis Khan ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:58:52

MaizieD

I'm willing to bet that every single one of them will continue to sell off the NHS and cut government spending.

I think their position on the R -L spectrum is pretty irrelevant because the ERG will still dominate...

That’s my little morning bubble burst and reality setting in????.

What I do think is that unless the Tories swing back to at the very least to the centre, they will be done for.

growstuff Sat 09-Jul-22 09:58:07

Katie59 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:56:51

Penny Mordant seems a interesting possibility, although her political career seems disjointed. She has been shuffled into various ministerial posts, then quickly shuffled out, which leaves the question why.

MaizieD Sat 09-Jul-22 09:56:08

maddyone Sat 09-Jul-22 09:50:09

Whilst it doesn’t matter what I think as I’m not a member of the Conservative party (or any other political party) thank you for your easy to remember assessment of each candidate Whitewave. I don’t actually know who I would prefer to be honest. I know I don’t want Rishi Sunak because of his preference for high taxation and he has no idea how ordinary people live.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Jul-22 09:40:09

Looking at the list it is striking how as you move from right to left you go from the intention to continue to divide and rule (Braverman) to the intention to bring people together (Tugendhat)

From my point of view I would so much like this period of division and hate to disappear and a United country emerge, so someone from the left would suit me I think. If I was a Tory???