Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson must go immediately

(194 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:59:24

He can’t possibly stay as is being suggested until the autumn.

Far too much damage is being done, and surely the Tory party can’t trust him one inch!

Zonne Sat 16-Jul-22 21:16:20

So Kit Malthouse is chairing the COBRA meeting about the risks posed by the heatwave, while Johnson - again - parties.

It’s apparently a leaving do, even though the lazy swine hasn’t actually left.

DaisyAnne Thu 14-Jul-22 22:17:02

The Cover headline on the politically Conservative Spectator titles the copy "Blue Murder" and their email highlights an article saying 'Fraser Nelson looks at the bloody leadership race'.

Oh, how I hope they tear themselves apart and destroy this wicked Tory Party. I feel so sad for the good-at-heart conservatives but then I felt sorry for the good-at-heart labour voters when their extreme took over. I wonder how long the extremes, who at best represent a quarter of the electorate, can be allowed to continue this undemocratic government.

MayBee70 Thu 14-Jul-22 18:23:11

Whitewavemark2

I notice that Patel and Raab are refusing to attend the appropriate committees. Committees that ensure good governance,

The sooner this government goes the better.

I read that yesterday. It’s disgraceful. Why are they allowed not to attend?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jul-22 14:25:34

I notice that Patel and Raab are refusing to attend the appropriate committees. Committees that ensure good governance,

The sooner this government goes the better.

Callistemon21 Thu 14-Jul-22 10:26:14

Lucca

Riverwalk

What does 'Starker' grin have to do with the BBC licence fee? hmm

Indeed ? Weird.
The right claim BBC is biased to left. The left claim it is biased to the right.

As for “smirking”. I’d say Johnson was the king of the smirk!

Johnson is one of those people who smirks when he knows he's been caught out; it's an unfortunate reaction because it makes him look untrustworthy and as if he is lying, which of course he is.

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-22 10:12:55

Farzanah Who said we should watch only the BBC? No-one. The Beeb is one of many reporters of the news and broadcaster of informed commentaries on it. There are more than one valid ways to look at most things and we have to use out own experience and judgment to make up our minds.

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-22 10:08:49

Lucca

Riverwalk

Indeed ? Weird.
The right claim BBC is biased to left. The left claim it is biased to the right.

The K was a mistype for an M, which is near it on the keyboard. I think Zuki is confusing Starmer with Johnson. Both names have been in the news recently, but Johnson is the one who smirks. As Prime Minister and leader of the party with a majority in Parliament, Johnson has far more power over the BBC licence that Starmer who is only leader of a smaller number of MPs, in the opposition party.

Farzanah Thu 14-Jul-22 09:43:25

So should we just restrict our viewing/listening to a narrow echo chamber of those who only agree with us?
Not that I think the BBC is biased, but I think it has lost its way in recent times and is rather insipid if anything.
They still occasionally do excellent drama although their budget has been severely reduced. I do not resent the license fee at all. We need a national broadcasting corporation to save our news going the way of the tabloids.

Lucca Thu 14-Jul-22 08:12:43

Riverwalk

Indeed ? Weird.

Iam64 Thu 14-Jul-22 08:08:07

The notion of bbc bias really is pathetic. The allegation comes from the extremes on the right or the left.

MayBee70 Thu 14-Jul-22 08:02:02

Please let me know where I can get a holiday for £180 ( or whatever the fee is now).

Riverwalk Thu 14-Jul-22 06:54:54

Zuki Wed 13-Jul-22 21:11:33

I'm no longer watching BBC If only Labour would
Stop smirking and see people on low incomes can't afford the licence fee Why do we have to pay for something so biased you feel manipulation on the news Borris BashingCoorporation or is it British biased Get real Starker i could have a holiday if the licence fee was given back

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jul-22 16:28:19

I will look out for that Farzanah

Farzanah Wed 13-Jul-22 14:30:34

It will be interesting to watch Laura Kuenssberg’s programme tonight BBC1 about the goings on in Downing Street during the last week.

MayBee70 Wed 13-Jul-22 13:13:41

There’s some police post that he’s determined to give to someone who has supported him in the past ( I need to look it up….)

Nannina Wed 13-Jul-22 12:44:25

Another Johnson sex scandal, Boris’ ex whilst he was London Mayor claiming he lobbied for a job for her. Following on from Jennifer Arcuri and his wife anyone would think women had to be bribed to have anything to do with him. There again Tory MPs are reporting promised cabinet posts for their support in his attempt to retain his position. And he’s not done yet with his long list of departing honours to include his father.

MayBee70 Wed 13-Jul-22 11:52:52

It didn’t need to be strengthened when Bercow was leader though. We have a very weak speaker at the moment. Having said that I still think everything about parliament needs a rethink.

DaisyAnne Wed 13-Jul-22 10:24:27

Could the Speaker's role and the Speaker's office be strengthened, do you think? As we can no longer rely on 'gentlemanly' behaviour (if we ever could), is that one area where more could/should be codified?

MaizieD Wed 13-Jul-22 10:17:41

DaisyAnne

Unfortunately Mark Spencer (current Leader of the House) represents the government in parliament.

I think this says more about the role of the Speaker and his legal team than any political role.

You got in before I had time to correct my error grin

MaizieD Wed 13-Jul-22 10:16:36

MaizieD

Elegran

Surely the leader of the House has a say in whether there is "time" to spare to consider a vote of no confidence?

And surely the question of whether the PM and the Government of the day has the confidence of the House in conducting national business should be settled BEFORE conducting any other business?

And who is the Leader of the House, Elegran?

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Whoops! No, he isn't any more. He's the Minister for Unicorns and sunny uplands.

But when he was, it was he who set the timetable for debates on Bills and made sure they were rushed through without time for debate and scrutiny.

But, of course, the current Leader of the House is a tory and the government has made it quite clear that scrutiny is anathema to them.

DaisyAnne Wed 13-Jul-22 10:15:40

Mark Spencer took over in February Maizie. I am wholly willing to believe it has changed again since then. In fact, with the resignations, do they have someone?

DaisyAnne Wed 13-Jul-22 10:12:30

Unfortunately Mark Spencer (current Leader of the House) represents the government in parliament.

I think this says more about the role of the Speaker and his legal team than any political role.

MaizieD Wed 13-Jul-22 10:12:03

Elegran

Surely the leader of the House has a say in whether there is "time" to spare to consider a vote of no confidence?

And surely the question of whether the PM and the Government of the day has the confidence of the House in conducting national business should be settled BEFORE conducting any other business?

And who is the Leader of the House, Elegran?

Jacob Rees-Mogg

MaizieD Wed 13-Jul-22 10:10:47

The parody Johnson twitter account says it all really:

Parody Boris
@Parody_PM
·
17h
^I’m not allowing time for a no confidence vote tomorrow.
One of the benefits of having a system of conventions that relies on people doing the decent thing is that when you are morally bankrupt you can do what the fuck you like.^