Gransnet forums

News & politics

Resignation speech

(191 Posts)
Stephanie48 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:31:55

Live now - resignation speech

DaisyL Sun 10-Jul-22 11:59:48

Before you embark on a journey of revenge be sure to dig two graves - Confucious.

Parsley3 Sun 10-Jul-22 10:04:10

twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1545288605156925440?t=Jrp3CZz_NhM8-frM_AYm5A&s=19

Boris is being rebranded as a family man now that the herd has moved and sledged him.

MerylStreep Sun 10-Jul-22 09:21:19

The £420,000 is for all the ministers who resigned.

www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/uk-news/boris-johnson-resign-redundancy-severance-pay-b2119400.html

Iam64 Sun 10-Jul-22 08:38:58

Lucca

M0nica

susie having just spent a short period in the care of the NHS, you have no idea how grateful I am for all those immigrants from the Chinese surgeon who operated on me to the nurses, cleaners, porters, cooks, GPs, who cared for me. I am truly grateful to all of them. Without them I would not have been treated so quickly and efficiently

Absolutely agree

Same here. How anyone can allow their prejudice to blind them to reality is beyond me

Lucca Sun 10-Jul-22 08:29:57

M0nica

susie having just spent a short period in the care of the NHS, you have no idea how grateful I am for all those immigrants from the Chinese surgeon who operated on me to the nurses, cleaners, porters, cooks, GPs, who cared for me. I am truly grateful to all of them. Without them I would not have been treated so quickly and efficiently

Absolutely agree

M0nica Sun 10-Jul-22 08:19:55

OmaforMaya Sun 10-Jul-22 01:01:07

TwiceAsNice

Don’t be so damn patronising FarNorth! I am calm thank you but obviously not entitled to have an opinion. Also I know there are lots choices but Keir Starmer is the labour one if he wins an election. Of course Poland cares it lives next door and has been super supportive of Ukraine. I’m not sure I would say the same of Germany Italy or France and that is a pity

Well said Twice as Nice.

Happilyretired123 Sat 09-Jul-22 20:34:34

Susie3042

Thought that would get you all going
You must all be lucky people
Obviously you dont want to think about the 1 million people who need homes in this country, the ones that cant get a doctor's appointment or a school place. Dont tell me the "Government " should build more
With what? We dont have enough money to keep paying for people who come here because we are a land of milk and honey. We are an island. We will run out of land, not enough , roads to take any more traffic, etc
How many more millions of people are you happy to have. No one answers that..to There are millions of people from all over the world on the move. We cant take them all
We need a world wide thought and decision on what to do
You can be as "nice " as you like , but no- one comes up.with a solution
How many have illegal immigrants living with them and paying for them.? Its always lets just be nice
The problem is being pushed down the line to our children and grandchildren.

There is a difference between “illegal immigrants” and asylum seekers/refugees. This government have been in power for many years so must be disappointing to you that so little progress has been made with the issues you highlight.
It’s a good thing that a more humane approach was taken by the government in the Second World War or my grandmother along with her teenage children, one of whom was my parent, would have died in a gas chamber.

DaisyL Sat 09-Jul-22 14:51:43

Why should Prince Andrew be pleased with Boris Johnson?

wicklowwinnie Sat 09-Jul-22 13:14:19

I imagine Prince Andrew will be pleased with Boris Johnson, !!!

Philippa111 Sat 09-Jul-22 10:49:37

If one understands the personality traits of narcissists then one can understand that Boris has a mental disorder. His behaviour is that of a classic narcissist. Same as Trump and some other 'leaders'.
Initially they can be very charismatic and charming, hence their ability to gain the positions they do. They can be very intelligent people.

A sense of self importance and aggrandisement, sense of entitlement, never being found to be wrong or admit wrongdoing, and therefore an ability to tell endless lies, zero empathy for others and an inability to accept a 'no' ( hence his inability to just go ) are just a few.

Further reading here:
www.helpguide.org/articles/mental-disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder.htm

Its not an easy disorder to treat as the individuals find it almost impossible to admit that they behave badly.... which we have witnessed!

Hopefully the next 'leader' will not be such a bad case.

LovelyLady Sat 09-Jul-22 10:09:37

A disgraceful resignation.
He didn’t apologise for anything and there was so very much.
He dragged his family through so much, affair after affair. Then didn’t disclose who his children are. Please! If you can’t acknowledge who your children are, what hope for the rest of us.
Conflict of interest I’m sure with marrying the present Mrs J.,
Couldn’t and can’t understand the party voting him as leader. They knew what he was like - Jack the Lad who wouldn’t pay his bills (like Churchill) Boris the joker and ‘sleeper arounder)
He gave away billions to folk who could work from home. We’re nearly bankrupt now! High taxes will live with us long after we’ve forgotten Mr Johnston.
Ok we managed through Covid despite him.
He messed up leaving the EU and leaves so much for the next PM to deal with. Just a mess.

Goldieoldie15 Sat 09-Jul-22 01:14:00

What about: Sorry.

MayBee70 Fri 08-Jul-22 20:56:40

Previous PM’s didn’t have to resign because they were unfit to govern though.

Saetana Fri 08-Jul-22 20:48:17

Standard procedure is for the PM to remain in post until a new leader is elected - Theresa May and David Cameron both stayed until a new PM was chosen. No reason Boris should be any different - especially given its almost summer recess so there will be little going on anyway. I've heard that the 1922 Committee are likely to get the candidates whittled down to two before parliament breaks for summer, that way the candidates can be put to the wider party and a new leader in place by the time parliament returns for the Autumn session. Seems reasonable enough to me.

growstuff Fri 08-Jul-22 20:34:46

Cossy If the delusions weren't so entrenched I would "lol" about them, but they're beyond a laughing matter. People really do believe the cr*p.

Elegran Fri 08-Jul-22 20:17:33

Saville was a crafty b****r. He preyed on people who were too young, disabled or vulnerable to complain about his vile attentions, or who had no-one to complain to. The few non-vulnerable willing adults he seduced felt flattered that he had chosen them. Some of those who did realise what he was up to were implicated themselves in shady goings-on, so kept schtumm; he would have passed on their names if on trial himself, and may have threatened them with exposure.

The report that Starmer received from investigators about Saville said that there was not enough evidence. If he had set up a big expensive public trial of a celebrity entertainer that failed because no-one would give evidence against him, there would have been an outcry and accusations of harassment. I am sure he was mortified when the truth came out after Saville's death but you can't put a dead man on trial!

Iam64 Fri 08-Jul-22 19:20:53

Thanks Elegran, two good posts

Elegran Fri 08-Jul-22 19:10:51

As for Starmer letting Saville off the hook - You can't prosecute anyone without that valuable thing - evidence With people refusing to sign statements of what had happened, there wasn't enough of that evidence to even start a trial, let alone win it. It was later that people came forward to tell their stories. An enquiry was made into the event, and that lack of evidence at the time was proved.

I am sure those who throw mud wouldn't want to attempt to try someone with no hope whatseoever of a conviction, and the possibility of being sued for wrongful arrest and libel!

Elegran Fri 08-Jul-22 19:05:15

Anyone who is in the Uk illegally is probably keeping a very low profile and working for peanuts in a horrible job, and living in constant fear of being sacked and having no support at all. If you are not legally here, you can get no benefits, no health care, no schooling for your children, no ante-natal care, nothing You do not exist.

Asylum seekers and legal immigrants, on the other hand, have applied to live here as soon as they arrived, or as soon after as they could, and have either eventually received permission after jumping through all the hoops or are going through the miles of red tape needed. Here is the procedure, from the horse's mouth. www.gov.uk/claim-asylum

Iam64 Fri 08-Jul-22 18:45:43

Hello Cossy, apologies if I’ve missed lots of your other posts. I just want to say thank you for yours at 17.18 ?????

win Fri 08-Jul-22 18:41:10

My flags are out too send him packing

Harv1 Fri 08-Jul-22 17:45:59

Yes ! And all the ones that did resign got a nice little earner of £420K severance for doing so … greedy back stabbers the lot of them ….

Cossy Fri 08-Jul-22 17:18:57

Goodness how things have deteriorated !

Starmer did NOT allow Saville or any other sex offender to “get away” with anything and in fact champions victims rather than supporting perpetrators !

“Illegal immigrants” do not exist and ANYONE under international law can apply for asylum in ANY country of their choosing.

We have masses of brown belt land and we are NOT “full”

Nothing about Brexit “got done” except the people of Britain !

We have a HUGE labour and skills shortage

Next …, Lol !!

Greta Fri 08-Jul-22 17:07:17

TwiceAsNice: ”He did get brexit some others didn’t. I think they all cocked up the pandemic and labour would have us still locked up wearing a mask! He is flawed on a lot of things( as was Tony Blair) but I fear for Ukraine now he’s gone because the rest of Europe couldn’t care less. Be careful what you wish for it’s just going to get worse. Starmer doesn’t stand up for anything!”

labour would have us still locked up wearing a mask!
How do you know this?

I fear for Ukraine now he’s gone because the rest of Europe couldn’t care less.
An outrageous comment. Could you please justify it.

Starmer doesn’t stand up for anything!”
Really? Who immediately declared he would resign if he was found to have broken lockdown rules? In contrast, who lied and lied again saying there had been no parties at no. 10 and was subsequently fined?