Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who has been the UK's worst PM?

(269 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 11-Aug-22 12:21:36

It's widely held that Trump is the worst President the US has ever had.

Who do we think is the UK's worst Prime Minister?

It's very easy to jump, and say Johnson, but is he the worst?

Mine Thu 11-Aug-22 13:31:47

I grew up in the 60/70s and didn't pay much attention to anything to do with politics till I married in 1980....Then along came Maggie Thatcher.....Interest on our mortgages went sky high...Then came the poll tax which was rolled out in first in Scotland...She decimated the mining in UK and caused terrible hardship for those communities and to top it all took us to war in the Falklands....A light bulb came on in my head about politics....

Mollygo Thu 11-Aug-22 13:32:45

Tony Blair by a mile.

Pittcity Thu 11-Aug-22 13:34:06

I'm struggling to name a good one!

Mollygo Thu 11-Aug-22 13:37:13

Pittcity

I'm struggling to name a good one!

Yes

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 13:38:12

I can't decide between Thatcher for her destruction of communities and creation of homelessness, Cameron, both for Austerity and for instigating Brexit and causing division, culture wars and much of the mess we are now in, or Johnson for being utterly and serially incompetent and corrupt.

Oldnproud Thu 11-Aug-22 13:54:54

I don't feel that I know enough about past prime ministers to make a clear judgement of which was the worst.

However, I strongly suspect that Johnson will be a very strong contender for this dubious title when he is history, and all the repercussions of his appalling time in power have had time to become apparent.
I don't think we've seen the half of it yet, and that our country will struggle for a long time to overcome the damage done under his leadership.

BlueBelle Thu 11-Aug-22 14:03:24

Boris lying Johnson by a merry mile

BlueBelle Thu 11-Aug-22 14:05:44

I think Tony Blair did a lot of reasonable things although I didn’t agree with the Middle East war Thatcher took us into the falklands and if Johnson had carried in much longer we would have been fighting a Russia

Kinsi10 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:11:24

Tony Blair, followed closely by Thatcher

Poppyred Thu 11-Aug-22 14:16:40

mayisay

GagaJo, He lied about weapons of mass destruction, to start with, he took this country into a dreadful war that resulted in thousands of deaths, including British service personnel, and also opened up our borders for all and sundry to come here and live, and we're now living with the consequences!

This!

Zoejory Thu 11-Aug-22 14:20:55

Blair. For reasons stated above

volver Thu 11-Aug-22 14:23:05

Lord North.

He lost North America.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:28:41

volver

Lord North.

He lost North America.

??

paddyann54 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:33:36

Thatcher then Johnson with just as bad to come with either of the two contenders for the job

Doodledog Thu 11-Aug-22 14:40:26

paddyann54

Thatcher then Johnson with just as bad to come with either of the two contenders for the job

Yes, it's not looking promising, is it?

HousePlantQueen Thu 11-Aug-22 14:42:06

I agree with Doodledog. Thatcher probably because she started the selfish politics, the greed is good, the sneering disregard for those worse off, and we are suffering her legacy still with all the nationalised industries being in private, well paid hands, and as for what she did to the housing stock........nothing to do with equality, it was simple; let someone buy their council house and they become a Tory. Saw it happen in my own family. So, yes, I loathe Johnson as a man, and for what depths he has plumbed, but she, that bloody woman, started it all.

grannyrebel7 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:48:06

Boris 100%, closely followed by Thatcher. She destroyed our industries so we're unable to manufacture things anymore and have to rely on imports. She smashed the unions and fostered an "I'm alright Jack and sod everyone else" ethos which still persists today. We were much better off when we believed in"All for one and one for all". Tony Blair was the best thing that happened to British politics until the Iraq war when we got dragged into it by our allies the Americans. And whose to say there were no weapons of mass destruction? He didn't know there weren't. Gordon Brown was great too but didn't get the chance to prove himself unfortunately.

MaizieD Thu 11-Aug-22 15:07:37

Thatcher for starting the whole process that has culminated in Johnson.

Johnson is equal with her; for corrupting our democratic processes and leaving the country divided into those who believe in the rule of law and integrity in parliamentary processes and those who are willing to tolerate lies and corruption in our government.

nanna8 Thu 11-Aug-22 15:11:56

I was relieved that we weren’t living in the UK during the Thatcher years. She was so cruel though very capable in a foul sort of way. Tony Blair is a war criminal so he was pretty bad, too.

Lyndylou Thu 11-Aug-22 15:17:20

Absolutely Tony Blair.

Fleurpepper Thu 11-Aug-22 15:17:38

Johnson, no question.

Allsorts Thu 11-Aug-22 15:19:38

Tony Blair by miles. How that man and his family have become multi millionaires, knowing he sent youngsters to certain death and danger on lies, I don’t know. You ask a serviceman what they think of him.

Petera Thu 11-Aug-22 15:25:00

volver

Lord North.

He lost North America.

Here's hoping Truss loses North Britain

MaizieD Thu 11-Aug-22 15:28:00

volver

Lord North.

He lost North America.

I suspect you of not taking this topic very seriously, volver grin

Iam64 Thu 11-Aug-22 15:28:41

Thatcher, the destruction of stable communities and families now drug ridden desperation
Cameron fir dismantling family centres and austerity wrecking public services
Johnson for being a liar, cheat, for presiding over a Downing Street culture that reflected his own sense of entitlement and for hanging on to his salary and doing nothing when his own party finally had enough of him