Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wildfires are really upsetting me

(65 Posts)
Chestnut Fri 12-Aug-22 11:35:12

We are in a very hot dry part of the country and the wildfires are raging. I feel so sorry for the fire fighters who are out in this boiling weather and surrounded by hot burning stubble and bushes, it must be exhausting and unbearable. If it carries on they will be unable to cope. The fire service has been cut back and there aren't enough of them.

What upsets me even more is that the fires are started by human activity. Some are started deliberately and others by ignorant people using disposable barbeques or lighting camp fires. Some start by pieces of glass left lying around. Anyone with half a brain would not be lighting anything outside in this weather. I despair at the stupidity of some people. It's very upsetting.

nipsmum Sun 14-Aug-22 13:06:56

I feel disposable barbecues should be banned completely for ever, no matter the weather. The destruction in the park where I walk the dog is so upsetting. When there are over a dozen patches of burnt grass, destroyed to the roots every time the weather is dry, it's a disgrace. Not to mention the rubbish left lying around. Why it can't be taken home or at least put in the bin.( There is a large industrial bin with a lid ) and the ashes are just left lying around. At least Sainsbury's have stopped their half price promotion on disposable barbecues that they had running.

Milest0ne Sun 14-Aug-22 13:13:34

The last moor fire near me was started accidentally by young men having a BBQ The toll of loss of bird life was appalling This was taken from my front garden. It got even nearer to our next door neighbour. Quite frightening at the time.
In town on Friday there was still disposable BBQ's on sale at Asda and Lidl

HunnyBunny Sun 14-Aug-22 13:52:54

Someone said on twitter that yesterday in West Sussex, there were sky lanterns released.
I have never thought they were particularly dangerous, just a littering nuisance (like balloons).
But when I read how they can harm wildlife and not to mention the damage that could be done now by the naked flames.
I don’t know what goes through peoples minds, sometimes.

Chestnut Sun 14-Aug-22 14:24:25

HunnyBunny There are so many things that people now do which are bad for the environment. Releasing anything into the sky is awful, balloons or lanterns, what goes up must come down and wildlife suffers from choking etc. on these things. Not to mention the mess when they land somewhere, maybe a beauty spot which really doesn't need rubbish thank you.

Humans really need to realise they cannot do whatever they want whenever they want, which I'm afraid is the modern day way of life.

Jaxjacky Sun 14-Aug-22 14:28:51

People should also start, or increase, their efforts to reduce their carbon footprint in bigger lifestyle choices.
You only need to see how many on GN take flights, some quite often and as a species we should be having fewer children.
Yes, we can all make small changes, the larger ones are a lot harder.

Joseanne Sun 14-Aug-22 15:57:01

You only need to see how many on GN take flights, somequite often.
But we've been told time and time again, in Harry & Meghan discussions, that this makes no difference?

Fraserpradhan Sun 14-Aug-22 16:52:49

Having desalination plants that are operational and a water system that is water tight are high up on my To Do List for the UK. I would also like to have weekly televised reports from our Government on any progress being made on the many areas of concern that we are all facing!

Rosina Mon 15-Aug-22 09:04:29

HunnyBunny, I fear some people have no minds for any kind of thought to go through - that can be the only explanation for some of the things that happen.

nanna8 Mon 15-Aug-22 11:54:07

Maybe in the country they could start using tank water? We had a drought that lasted about 10 years and many people, including us, went out and bought tanks. We used to put out notices ‘Tank Water Only’ when we watered the garden because watering became illegal from the mains. We still use them for the garden, catching rainwater off the roof.

MerylStreep Mon 15-Aug-22 12:01:41

At least we have some good news on climate change: the great Barrie reef is growing again. It’s the healthiest it’s been for 36 years ?

henetha Thu 18-Aug-22 10:21:26

Isn't that wonderful. Nature can repair itself better than we think, maybe.
This recent rain, which has been quite widespread hopefully, will at least reduce the chance of wild fires, thank goodness.
But we need much more to start re-filling the reservoirs.

25Avalon Thu 18-Aug-22 11:22:55

Nature has a way of springing back from most things and recovering in some form. Whether man will or not is another thing. Remember the lines from the poem:“My name is Ozymandius, King of Kings. Look on my works oh you mighty and despair.”

Witzend Thu 18-Aug-22 11:25:33

25Avalon, we came across what I think inspired that poem, on a holiday to Egypt maybe 20 years ago. Somewhere I have a photo of a grown up dd sitting on one of his toenails!

Chestnut Thu 18-Aug-22 17:23:11

Nature can repair itself but only if given the chance. Remember all the pollution in the air disappeared during lockdown? The difference was just incredible. If only it could be like that all the time but people will never give up their cars, and the wheels of industry need to keep moving to supply billions of people in the world with everything their hearts could desire.