Gransnet forums

News & politics

King Charles III

(899 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 09-Sep-22 10:49:12

I’m starting a thread so we can add our thoughts and hopes for the future. The King will address the nation at midday.

He and Camilla have my support although I know not everyone feels that way.

God Save the King.

nadateturbe Fri 15-Sep-23 08:24:49

Agree CoolCoco.

Silence speaks volumes.

CoolCoco Fri 15-Sep-23 07:41:39

A phone call or a 20 minute audience counts as an “engagement “ so no way is Charles “ hard working”.

nadateturbe Thu 14-Sep-23 20:57:01

The NHS could make good use of it. Words are easy.

nadateturbe Thu 14-Sep-23 20:56:22

If they really cared about this country they would return the Duchies.

nadateturbe Thu 14-Sep-23 20:51:50

You need to go back further Easybee to see how it was acquired. I can assure you they didn't work to buy it!
No need for the RF to own all this. Pure greed.

Grany Thu 14-Sep-23 13:10:59

eazybee

The Duchy of Lancaster wasn't seized, it was inherited from the Duke of Lancaster by his daughter Blanche, married to John of Gaunt, and passed via Richard 11 to Henry 1V, Gaunt's legitimate heir and thus into the royal family.

Both the Duchies should be given back to the treasury.

Both W and C get over £20 million each from two duchies very greedy.

Both very lazy and don’t deserve all the funding they get.

Grany Thu 14-Sep-23 13:04:56

Charles the Part Time King.

@RepublicStaff

“It's rare Charles will do a five-day week, quite often weeks go by where he has one or two engagements on just one or two days. There are long stretches of down-time."
For these engagements Charles personally gets £39,000 per hour
Plus that’s the funding he gets paid personally, the Monarchy itself costs the tax payer £345 million at least a year.
Charles is not a hard working monarch in fact he barely works part time.

Not my king Abolish the monarchy.

eazybee Thu 14-Sep-23 12:59:27

The Duchy of Lancaster wasn't seized, it was inherited from the Duke of Lancaster by his daughter Blanche, married to John of Gaunt, and passed via Richard 11 to Henry 1V, Gaunt's legitimate heir and thus into the royal family.

nadateturbe Thu 14-Sep-23 10:19:36

Title of the interesting article in the above link.

"By all means keep the Queen, but can we have our land back?"

nadateturbe Tue 15-Nov-22 20:44:54

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/10/queen-monarchists-have-land-back-pomp-tourists

nadateturbe Tue 15-Nov-22 13:00:49

The Duchy of Lancaster, a portfolio of land seized by the royal family in the 13th century, is worth more than £1 billion.

Land was often given to others by the monarch.

henetha Tue 15-Nov-22 13:00:02

Wow Grany. You are really on a roll today. I admire your dogged determination even if I don't agree with your opinion.
I think it's quite possible that we will become a republic one day, but not yet hopefully.

Grany Tue 15-Nov-22 12:31:34

www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/john-oliver-gives-a-savage-history-lesson-on-the-british-royal-family/ar-AA1450rO

Grany Tue 15-Nov-22 12:31:05

An opinion
John Oliver Gives a Savage History Lesson on the British Royal Family

The night’s main story concerned the British monarchy, or as Oliver described it, “the best thing to happen to white actors since literally everything else.” The Queen has been dead for a couple of months; Charles, who turns 75 on Monday, is now king; and the UK is facing a cost-of-living crisis even worse than America’s. So Oliver figured it was a good time to ask a pretty simple question: What is the point of the (very expensive) monarchy?

In literal terms, the British monarch is the symbolic head of state; they receive visiting dignitaries and heads of state from other countries, they make official overseas visits themselves — perhaps most notably to the current and former countries and protectorates in the British Commonwealth — and they do more mundane things like visit UK factories and send UK citizens birthday cards on their 100th birthdays.

“Think of the royals as Mickey and Minnie at Disneyland,” Oliver said. “They’re not running the rides, but they’re a mascot for the whole operation and people kinda like having their pictures taken with them.”

The British government gives the royal family about £100 million a year — that works out to a little over a pound per Brit — as part of the annual Sovereign Grant meant to aid the family in performing its duties and buying cravats and fancy hats or whatever. Supporters of the family argue that they generate about £500 million a year in tourism, which is a pretty darn good return on investment, but Oliver pointed out that the £500 million figure is very much disputed; after all, tourists still flock to the Palace of Versailles even though Louis XIV’s layabout descendants don’t live there.

The family also makes money in other ways. The Duchy of Lancaster, a portfolio of land seized by the royal family in the 13th century, is worth more than £1 billion. As is the Duchy of Cornwall, land held by the Prince of Wales, a title King Charles long held until it passed onto his son, Prince William. Together the duchies earn the family tens of millions of dollars per year.

The Duchies are exempt from corporate taxes and Charles didn’t have to pay any inheritance tax on whatever he inherited from his mum. In a nutshell, the family is loaded, and the people of Great Britain give them another £100 million every year to do whatever it is they do.

“The royal family’s wealth, unlike their gene pool, is massive,” Oliver said.

The royal family’s existence is far more problematic outside of Great Britain in the many places once occupied by British colonizers. Not only were indigenous people in these places brutalized and ostracized in the name of the crown, the royal family enriched themselves by founding and running a company that was the biggest supplier of enslaved people to America. And Great Britain’s depraved mistreatment of colonized indigenous people is not just a relic of the distant past. From tearing indigenous kids away from their families and forcing them into horrific assimilation schools to the torture and murder of Kenyans during the Mau Mau rebellion, Queen Elizabeth’s reign is blighted with racist savagery, for which the royal family has never really apologized.

“To me, [the royal family] is like a human appendix,” Oliver said. “We’ve long evolved past needing them and there’s a compelling case for their surgical removal.”

Grany Sun 13-Nov-22 09:33:34

This is how The Firm the sourced the money. One The Duchy of Lancaster which Charles insists is a private estate and which he gets (£22 million and counting) it's not its State owned goes with the job. Two The Sovereign Grant, publicly funded Three. The millions made from visitors to BP.

The monarchy costs £345 million that's a lot we don't get anything back it's a drain on our economy. Time the monarchy was funded like any other public body not money thrown at them.

nadateturbe Sat 12-Nov-22 17:45:42

Agree totally of course!

Grany Sat 12-Nov-22 17:24:07

nadateturbe

^Most are on minimum wage at palace^

Of course Grany. I just thought it was interesting. And wondered what people thought. I think he's very aware of needing to project a good image. Nevertheless the staff will be grateful.

It would be a good image if he paid his taxes. Abolished the waste of space and money monarchy

Grany Sat 12-Nov-22 17:21:46

Katie59

Prince Charles took more than 20 private flights within the UK last year to avoid being 'stuck in traffic’.

Green champion indeed. hmm

In fairness the security implications of a long distance road journey with all the police and their costs, it’s probably greener and cheaper to fly.

Not greener or cheaper to fly. Jets and helicopters that RF frequently use are the most polluting.

And use them mainly for their own interests and passtimes at great public expense.

Katie59 Sat 12-Nov-22 16:42:12

Prince Charles took more than 20 private flights within the UK last year to avoid being 'stuck in traffic’.

In fairness the security implications of a long distance road journey with all the police and their costs, it’s probably greener and cheaper to fly.

nadateturbe Sat 12-Nov-22 16:30:48

Most are on minimum wage at palace

Of course Grany. I just thought it was interesting. And wondered what people thought. I think he's very aware of needing to project a good image. Nevertheless the staff will be grateful.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Nov-22 15:24:16

nadateturbe

King Charles is giving his staff a £600 bonus to help with costs of living rise.

It shows that he is aware that they may be struggling while inflation and interest rates are rising.

Well done Charles III 👏

Grany Sat 12-Nov-22 14:48:57

Norah

LauraNorderr

Our amazing, dedicated, dutiful Queen will be a hard act to follow and much missed but I feel that King Charles 111 and his Queen Consort are good and grounded people who will continue to be that firm and solid foundation of British life.

Agreed. They seem a lovely, caring couple. Environmentally friendly.

Grany Sat 12-Nov-22 14:42:19

nadateturbe

King Charles is giving his staff a £600 bonus to help with costs of living rise.

Most are on minimum wage at palace anyway. Charles dogged the inheritance tax in a cost of living nice Head of State to have, not

BBC asking will young people feel differently about monarchy after Crown Charles Camila Diana

Most young people who not lived through this would not like way Charles Camila treated Diana. But most young people now view monarchy as out dated not not relevant etc etc

nadateturbe Sat 12-Nov-22 14:21:50

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 18:07:16

It takes time for them to realise, especially after they retire JaneJudge

I estimate about a hundred years might do it.