Gransnet forums

News & politics

King Charles III

(898 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 09-Sep-22 10:49:12

I’m starting a thread so we can add our thoughts and hopes for the future. The King will address the nation at midday.

He and Camilla have my support although I know not everyone feels that way.

God Save the King.

merlotgran Fri 09-Sep-22 10:50:38

My apologies. The address will be later today.

Mandrake Fri 09-Sep-22 10:51:21

It feels very strange to have a king. I've only ever known a queen. I'm quite neutral on the monarchy on the whole, but King Charles seems to be a bit environmentally aware, so hopefully that will bring some positive things.

timetogo2016 Fri 09-Sep-22 10:56:39

However a good King he may or may not be.
Our late Queen will/could never be replaced.
Not in this life or the next.

DerbyshireLass Fri 09-Sep-22 10:58:13

I think Charles is fundamentally a decent man. Yes he's made mistakes but who among us hasn't.

I wish him well and hope he gets the support he needs.

Milly47 Fri 09-Sep-22 10:59:12

I wonder how seriously he will take environmental issues…..

www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/prince-charles-flights-uk-carbon-emissions-b2113101.html?amp

BlueBelle Fri 09-Sep-22 11:01:09

I often like and agree with things Charles says He’s definitely into greener ways and if he slims the royals down to a much smaller amount eg himself camilla, Anne, Edward, and William open up all their castles which would then go a long way to pay for themselves
I don’t see why the rich royals can’t look after their own spouses I think if they weren’t so money eating Id have more admiration for them
He’s been waiting I think probably reluctantly for this job for a very very long time I think he ll be good he’s had enough practice and I like Camilla I think she sound, grounded and extremely good for him

MayBee70 Fri 09-Sep-22 11:02:24

Mandrake

It feels very strange to have a king. I've only ever known a queen. I'm quite neutral on the monarchy on the whole, but King Charles seems to be a bit environmentally aware, so hopefully that will bring some positive things.

They’ve said he will be non political. Which is a shame because I’d like him to continue to voice his opinion on green issues. Something I’ve always respected him for. He was always way ahead of his time when it came to the environment. He is not a natural with people the way that his mother was so I don’t think that the role will be easy for him.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Sep-22 11:07:20

I feel very sorry for them, taking on such demanding roles in their 70s, despite being well prepared. I think he is a good and well meaning man and I like Camilla, who has undoubtedly been good for him.

Grammaretto Fri 09-Sep-22 11:08:52

I often find myself agreeing with Charles but he hasn't a good track record on his friends and advisors.
Perhaps the new Queen consort will keep him safe from the rogues. Let's hope so.

notgran Fri 09-Sep-22 11:14:53

God Save the King.

Smileless2012 Fri 09-Sep-22 11:16:54

He will not fill his mother's shoes, he'll walk in his own. God Save the King.

LauraNorderr Fri 09-Sep-22 11:21:12

Our amazing, dedicated, dutiful Queen will be a hard act to follow and much missed but I feel that King Charles 111 and his Queen Consort are good and grounded people who will continue to be that firm and solid foundation of British life.

Millie22 Fri 09-Sep-22 11:26:57

I think we have to give him a chance. Goodness knows he's been waiting long enough.

Caleo Fri 09-Sep-22 11:27:50

I remember two kings, George V and George VI. Each of them had a strong wife. The public was aware those wives were strong consorts. Before those kings there was Edward VII who had a strong and dutiful wife in Queen Alexandra. My father thought very highly of Queen Alexandra although as a small girl I did not understand the whole story

Caleo Fri 09-Sep-22 11:31:11

I support King Charles if only because he has forbidden foie gras in his house.

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Sep-22 11:31:31

Germanshepherdsmum

I feel very sorry for them, taking on such demanding roles in their 70s, despite being well prepared. I think he is a good and well meaning man and I like Camilla, who has undoubtedly been good for him.

Yes, I do too.
Especially Camilla, who I am incredibly fond of, for some reason! She seems charming and a good egg.
I’m sure that at 75 she would be more than happy to take a backseat now, rather than to take on a major world role.
Charles is very lucky to have her.
I wish them both very well, as it will be quite a transition.

25Avalon Fri 09-Sep-22 11:37:42

Camilla understands what is involved and is good for Charles, much as I used to dislike her. She has earned redemption.. The Queen understood all of this and pressed for her to be Queen Consort. I suspect the Queen knew for sometime that time was running out fast and tried to put things in place for an easy transition. Were the rainbows over Windsor and Buckingham Palace just coincidence? They can be taken as a sign of hope whether you believe or not.

Namsnanny Fri 09-Sep-22 11:38:10

The Queen was a blank slate with regards to publicly supporting any opinion.
There in lies her success.
Not so much with the new King.
Having said that, I have sympathy with his position as Heir Apparent for so many years.
How was he supposed to be impervious to the world he lived in?

PoppyFlower Fri 09-Sep-22 11:38:14

I wish the new King and his Consort all the very best! I agree Camilla is a strong and grounding influence on Charles so his will be all the better for that relationship. I don't envy the job they have ahead!

Oldnproud Fri 09-Sep-22 11:42:21

I've been wondering if Charles might, unofficially or otherwise, 'share' the job with William right from the start, given the practicalities of taking on the whole workload at his age.
If I'm not mistaken, both of them took on a lot of the queen's duties as her health started to fail, didn't they, not just Charles?

Jaberwok Fri 09-Sep-22 11:44:15

I support the new king full heartedly as I believe him to be a good man and Camilla who is a sensible well grounded lady with a good sense of humour (she'll need it!!) God bless them both and God bless the Prince of Wales.

lixy Fri 09-Sep-22 11:45:21

Queen Consort Camilla seems to have the sense of humour and compassion needed for the job and is able to express it when King Charles gets tongue tied.
I wish them well.

Norah Fri 09-Sep-22 11:46:59

LauraNorderr

Our amazing, dedicated, dutiful Queen will be a hard act to follow and much missed but I feel that King Charles 111 and his Queen Consort are good and grounded people who will continue to be that firm and solid foundation of British life.

Agreed. They seem a lovely, caring couple. Environmentally friendly.

Jaberwok Fri 09-Sep-22 11:47:02

Oldnproud , I've wondered that too. It would make perfect sense as like you I believe they were sharing some of the Queens duties and they seem to get on really well.