Gransnet forums

News & politics

What's the point of a Prince of Wales?

(315 Posts)
volver Sun 11-Sep-22 09:42:53

I believe the Prince of Wales is basically the top bod in the hierarchy in Wales and has been an Englishman since the 14th Century. I understand it is an expression of the rule of the English over the Welsh.

I have googled the role of the Prince and Princess of Wales and it appears to be to visit as many places in the country as possible and learn to speak Welsh. Personally I find the conferring of titles such as this on Royals a patronising anachronism, having once had to explain to a French person that the Duke of Edinburgh didn't really run Edinburgh.

What do Welsh people think about the whole thing?

Mollygo Mon 19-Sep-22 07:31:43

Yes Pantglas2.

Pantglas2 Mon 19-Sep-22 05:54:50

Good post volver and I agree!

Everything he said was true....but my original point was that he ruined it all in his first sentence absolving Europe of their ‘crimes’! If you’re going to harbour grudges for hundreds of years against how you’ve been treated by your conquerors, don’t start being selective, it diminishes your argument IMO!

“I also saw an explanation of what had been done to a conquered nation by a nation that saw itself as the last word in civilised society.” This fits the Romans perfectly doesn’t it

volver Sun 18-Sep-22 18:12:28

I've just watched the Sheen speech as well. In all honesty, I saw nothing anti-English there. I saw someone explaining parts of the history of Wales. I saw a parallel with the overwhelming desire amongst educated Scots in the eighteenth century to become North Britons, so they could benefit from the promises of what Britishness would bring them. I saw someone, an actor admittedly, passionately saying what he thought was needed to move forward with Welshness. I'm not Welsh, it's not my place to say if he's right or wrong.

I also saw an explanation of what had been done to a conquered nation by a nation that saw itself as the last word in civilised society. Just the facts, not anti-Englishness. Perhaps those who consider it anti-English might want to comment on that?

Thegrandmarniter Sun 18-Sep-22 17:54:16

Thank you Pantglas2. I’ve only ever seen clips of that speech before but I’ve just watched/listened to its entirety. Wow!

volver Sun 18-Sep-22 13:00:54

Thank you. Just about to drive somewhere so I will check it out later.

Pantglas2 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:59:32

Raymond Williams Memorial Lecture 2017 brings it up for me ?

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:51:05

I can't possily comment as I haven't seen it.

volver Sun 18-Sep-22 12:45:00

Well really. You say that nobody who's seen Sheen's speech has come back with a response. Although that's no longer true, is it?

I've googled it several times and can't find it. I don't comment on things I haven't seen or read.

Help me out here.

Pantglas2 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:42:40

?
Come on volver you’re better than this...let’s have the debate, discussion and yes disagreement- I thought you loved it all?

volver Sun 18-Sep-22 12:38:24

Pantglas2

Can’t do it on my mobile but typing Michael Sheen will bring up a selection of his speeches, interviews etc volver

Well I would never have though of doing that by myself.

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:26:27

Mollygo

fairfraise

It's hardly foreign rule.

Don’t spoil their fun!

DH has never got the hang of this foreign rule
He never does as he's told ???

Pantglas2 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:26:13

Pantglas2

I’d rather be hoist by my own petard than projecting my inferiority complex on an another Celtic nation, suggesting they’re serfs, feudal lackeys whatever....

We’re in the 21st century and I’ve never felt inferior (or superior) to another nationality or needed to either.

You’re anti the Royals - we get it. But some of us aren’t and that’s also fine.

My previous reply to volver is my response to your comments paddyann.

I’m starting to wonder if this constant refrain of inferior/superior is peculiarly Scottish or a highland/lowland thing - not something I’ve come across before.

Thegrandmarniter Sun 18-Sep-22 12:24:15

I’m still here Pantglas2. I watched Sheen’s speech on twitter long before you suggested we all read it. I don’t hate the English. I dearly love the one I’m married to. I don’t hate the royals either, I’m pretty ambivalent about them. I don’t see the need for there to be an English Prince of Wales though. He has no constitutional role in Wales or any role in Welsh governance, it’s just an empty title originally intended to humiliate the Welsh nation. I’m pretty certain King Charles wouldn’t want to do that, nor would Prince William. I could be wrong of course but I would dearly hope that before any investiture or formal appointment that KC might reconsider continuing the unnecessary PoW title.

fairfraise Sun 18-Sep-22 12:23:57

Well I thought FOREIGN rule was a bit OTT!

Mollygo Sun 18-Sep-22 12:21:22

fairfraise

Don’t spoil their fun!

fairfraise Sun 18-Sep-22 12:18:34

paddyann54 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:09:52

ach Volver you and I both know its just to keep the natives in their place.Their English Prince will be the overlord they are supposed to look up to as a superior being .
Isn't that what the English RF have always done ,?
My cousins in Newport Sth Wales certainly speak Welsh ,as did their mum when she married my uncle during WW11 .The one I am in most regular contact with is ,like me , a republican and is livid about the "NEW" Prince of Wales ,surely in the 21st century there should besome consultation ,unless of course the RF still believe they rule an Empire ...which some might say is the case.After all they hand out EMPIRE medals all the time!
I dont know a lot about Welsh history but I know from my Aunt that they .like the Scots are a very proud nation with a rich history and culture .Shame some are so willing to live under FOREIGN rule .

Pantglas2 Sun 18-Sep-22 11:56:30

Can’t do it on my mobile but typing Michael Sheen will bring up a selection of his speeches, interviews etc volver

volver Sun 18-Sep-22 11:38:31

Perhaps you could post a link to help us do that Pantglas?

I wouldn't want to rely on second hand accounts...

Pantglas2 Sun 18-Sep-22 11:24:49

I’ve worked with lots of people who profess to hate the English callistemon and they often spouted Michael Sheen’s calumnies against the Welsh!

Most had the good sense not to state that Europe had been blameless though ?‍♀️

Interesting that those defending Sheen haven’t returned once they read his speech, isn’t it?

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 10:25:00

There's a West of England pub in Newport

Callistemon21 Sun 18-Sep-22 10:24:28

Casdon

He is Welsh, he was born in Newport which as far as I know has always been Welsh, but definitely was when he was born there. He’s pro-Wales, not anti-English. I don’t know anybody who is anti-English actually, but I know lots of people who abhor some of the institutions.

I worked with someone who loathed The English (except me, apparently ?)
As half of our colleagues were English I think it was just rhetoric - and the Five Nations was happening at the time.

Casdon Sat 17-Sep-22 22:49:59

He is Welsh, he was born in Newport which as far as I know has always been Welsh, but definitely was when he was born there. He’s pro-Wales, not anti-English. I don’t know anybody who is anti-English actually, but I know lots of people who abhor some of the institutions.

volver Sat 17-Sep-22 20:22:05

No idea.

Is being called anti-English acceptable if you are, indeed, English?

Callistemon21 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:58:11

Thegrandmarniter

Michael Sheen isn’t anti English and neither am I. I’m not anti royal either.

Was Michael Sheen born in England or Wales? hmm

Newport used to be in England (moot point)