Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kwasi Kwarteng at the Queen’s funeral.

(220 Posts)
Iam64 Thu 22-Sep-22 09:02:52

Was he taking a private phone call? That’s the least disreputable take I have on him, appearing to talk, laugh, wipe his face with his hand and appear to sway.

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 13:20:40

Whitewavemark2

“It would appear that Kwasi Kwateng deliberately created a situation through his budget where his city mates and business associates could short the pound and make millions - corruption on a huge scale and may explain his laughter at the Funeral”

I did wonder if that's why he looked so happy.

Obviously Suella Bravermann and Therese Coffey weren't in on the joke.

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 13:17:49

I do not think that posters are commenting in a disparaging way about Mr Kwarteng because he is black, indeed nobody has even suggested that.
What GrannyGravy13 sums up though was absolutely true,
‘Black man fidgets at Queen Elizabeth 11’s funeral.’
Well, he is, and he did. Nobody can argue with that.
Unless he decides to remark on it, we will never know what prompted it.

nanaK54 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:16:05

FannyCornforth

What is his being black got anything to do with it?

Exactly - nothing at all

Fleurpepper Sun 25-Sep-22 12:13:15

Iam64

The idea that those of us questioning the behaviour are doing so because Mr Kwarteng I’d black is both offensive and correct

Incorrect- right?

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Sep-22 12:03:51

And you really don’t think that there is a connection?
You think that he is just fidgeting?

I’m not arguing btw, I don’t do that
(on here, that is!)

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Sep-22 12:01:35

FannyCornforth

GrannyGravy have you seen the footage?
Have you ever seen anyone on class A’s?

Q1 Yes

Q2 Yes

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Sep-22 11:55:18

What is his being black got anything to do with it?

Fleurpepper Sun 25-Sep-22 11:54:29

GrannyGravy13

I have just reread this thread, it’s easily summed up

Black man fidgets at Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral

So he must be under the influence of either alcohol or illegal drugs along with now the assumption that there is a D notice on anything to do with his behaviour.

You couldn’t make it up … Oh yes you could it’s happening on GN

Absolutely not. What facile nonsense.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Sep-22 11:53:30

GrannyGravy have you seen the footage?
Have you ever seen anyone on class A’s?

Iam64 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:53:12

The idea that those of us questioning the behaviour are doing so because Mr Kwarteng I’d black is both offensive and correct

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Sep-22 11:51:33

Prentice

Dickens why refer to Mr Kwarteng as QC all the time?

I find all the talk of some kind of silencing conspiracies very odd indeed.
The text from a listener could not be read out because it was deemed to be made up rubbish of an offensive nature no doubt.There are standards still on radio shows.

No, Prentice that isn’t the case in this instance.
I’ve been listening to Abbot for nearly 30 years and I know exactly how he works.
He reads out anything and everything, and then critiques it or makes fun of it. He makes a point of reading out all of his emails. If he hasn’t had time to do so, he does it the day.
He is notorious for taking straight to air calls.
I know my speech radio, if nothing else.
I would not of commented upon it if it wasn’t relevant

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:43:41

The Times

Harry Yorke

A source who was present at a dinner attended by hedge-fund managers a week ago revealed: “They were all supporters of Truss and every one of them was shorting the pound.”

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 11:41:21

Heh heh GrannyGravy13 yes that is funny and true indeed.
I wanted to say a similar thing earlier but did think I would be deemed to be racist, even though I am a black woman.
It is a storm in a teacup.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:29:41

I have just reread this thread, it’s easily summed up

Black man fidgets at Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral

So he must be under the influence of either alcohol or illegal drugs along with now the assumption that there is a D notice on anything to do with his behaviour.

You couldn’t make it up … Oh yes you could it’s happening on GN

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 11:28:22

Who are you quoting there Whitewavemark2?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:24:43

“It would appear that Kwasi Kwateng deliberately created a situation through his budget where his city mates and business associates could short the pound and make millions - corruption on a huge scale and may explain his laughter at the Funeral”

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 11:07:53

That should read QK not QC.

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 11:05:29

Dickens why refer to Mr Kwarteng as QC all the time?

I find all the talk of some kind of silencing conspiracies very odd indeed.
The text from a listener could not be read out because it was deemed to be made up rubbish of an offensive nature no doubt.There are standards still on radio shows.

Iam64 Sun 25-Sep-22 11:00:24

Dickens - many thanks for your post

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 10:31:33

And yet, the electorate seem to be quite happy to support them

I'm not sure that's true.
As mentioned previously, they are there by default, sneaked in by the back door, the leader elected by a minuscule proportion of the electorate.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Sep-22 10:21:43

To be fair several people in government have always made their intentions clear. Johnson was quite open about wanting to make himself above the law. Kwarteng and Truss writing that book ten years ago. They haven’t sneaked things through. And yet, the electorate seem to be quite happy to support them
Don’t ask me why confused

nanaK54 Sun 25-Sep-22 10:21:41

FannyCornforth

Listening to Nick Abbot last night/ tonight.

Nick started reading out a text from a listener about KK, he tailed off, and stopped reading it.

It went like this:
‘something something…Kwateng laughing at the…no…I can’t read that…’

So something is definitely going on.
Abbot doesn’t shy away from controversy at all.
Very odd indeed

Thank you for this - so interesting

I first saw the video on Twitter and couldn't believe my eyes

So frustrating, I want him to be made to account for his strange behaviour

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 09:59:05

Riverwalk

Whitewavemark2

Whitewavemark2

Maybe the government has slapped a D notice on the episode?

Well the government has a sort of “arrangement” with the press. The government advise the press which stories they don’t want published often because of so called national security, but I think it goes further than that tbh.

It isn’t legally binding and is a British arrangement. The press always comply as far as I can see.

Along the lines of when Prince Harry was in Afghanistan - there was 'an arrangement' for the British press not to query his whereabouts, as he surely would have been missed by the royal watching press.

It was an Australian outlet that let the cat out of the bag.

But I don't think Kwarteng's life could be put in danger if this incident was clarified, unlike Prince Harry in Afghanistan.
That could have put the rest of Harry's group in danger too.
When his whereabouts was leaked by the press he had to return home.

Dickens Sun 25-Sep-22 09:20:40

Whitewavemark2

Maybe the government has slapped a D notice on the episode?

I'm just imagining the uproar in the RW media had, for example, Starmer behaved in a similar fashion to Kwarteng.

I know there are some decent traditional Conservative voters out there who would want him to account for himself. I hope they are biding their time.

This is a party that cheered when they voted to block a pay rise for nurses in 2017. A party that contains members, MPs, who are on record making derogatory comments about the working class, a party that is reneging on a deal IT signed as "done", a party blaming the EU for its own incompetence, a party which appears to be gagging for a trade war with Europe, a party which has made promises it has not fulfilled (nor intended to - it has already 'excused' itself from those promises), a party which prior to the referendum made sweeping statements:

"A free-trade deal with the EU will be 'the easiest thing in human history"

"Turkey is going to join the EU and millions of people will flock to the UK"

"Brexit does not mean the UK will leave the single market"

And here we are with the £ falling, investors wary of our economic credibility, the OBR forecast banned, the very wealthy being made even more wealthy, the impoverished and squeezed middle picking up the tab for Truss' and Kwartent's largesse. The ridiculous ideology of 'trickle-down'. I could go on, but I'm depressing myself and need to get out into the garden away from this madness.

Oh, and I would just mention that there's on ominous silence about state pensions. My guess is that the party will decide it doesn't need the grey-vote as it's going to forge ahead regardless with its economic gamble, so will have decided to 're-arrange' the plans for any increase...

Have a good day everyone.

Iam64 Sun 25-Sep-22 09:04:04

Ok river walk, good point. Maybe a similar thing will happen here