Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is the Tories *real* intention?

(98 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 29-Sep-22 11:27:13

I'm not a Conservative voter, so I'm not able to be rational enough on this issue to come up with anything sensible.

So, to those who understand what they're trying to achieve, could you explain to me?

I understand their usual approach. I might disagree with it, but I understand the general theory of minimal state intevention, market forces etc. But what we have now isn't that. So...

Help please?

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 13:48:30

MaizieD

Germanshepherdsmum

I have not said the present system is fine Katie. But checks and balances and proper scrutiny of plans are vital.

Land banks are essential to ensure supply of housing DaisyAnne. Developers don’t simply wait to buy land when they need to sell houses - the process from acquisition of land to sales isn’t simple. Also, all planning permissions have a finite life with no guarantee of renewal.

But the Guardian article I linked to was about the fact that the number of planning permissions granted were about 1million in excess of houses actually built. Land banking can't account for this, surely, because planning permission lapses after a certain number of years if no start has been made on the project?

Or do developers dig a few trenches so as to claim that work has started, then leave the land undeveloped?

They have been known to do exactly that Maiziesmile

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 14:26:47

Planning won’t be an issue if charter cities go through, and I’m sure that Truss will make as much a bonfire of planning as she can.

Not good - think Grenfell

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 14:29:34

I'm going off for a while now. Everything I read makes it seem a bit more the end of the world as we know it. And it can't be, can it.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 14:37:03

Of course not. Last week’s disaster will be sorted out. The party will make sure Truss goes.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 14:43:10

The Telegraph is reporting that Truss is considering getting rid of the triple lock altogether.

Anyone else heard- hopefully can refute it?

varian Fri 30-Sep-22 14:57:04

The practice of keeping a planning permission extant in perpetuity by making a "legal start" is quite widespread.

Sometimes the start is just a few trenches, usually foundations of one corner of a building are laid. The minimum work acceptable will be agreed in advance with the Planning Authority. When this work is being done, it will be observed by a building inspector who takes photos and issues a commencement certificate.

The developer can then cover up the work and leave the site until it suits him to do the build - ie at some future date when he thinks it will be more profitable. He will not have to resubmit a planning application but will usually need a new Buiilding Regulations submission as the regulations are regularly reviewed and updated.

I know of many sites where nothing has happened for years after the "legal start". In my view this practice should be illegal. A site where no real work is done for years should lose its planning permission.

It is the granting of planning permission which hugely inflates the commercial value of a site and if a developer cannot afford to develop the site within a reasonable timescale he should either sell the site or face losing planning permission.

varian Fri 30-Sep-22 15:06:03

Conservatives’ reliance on developer donations prevents solutions to housing crisis

www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/news/conservatives-reliance-on-developer-donations-prevents-solutions-to-housing-crisis-report-warns-71550

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Oct-22 05:57:10

The result of getting rid of regulations in a so called “free port”

“Bombshell report on #C4News. Turns out there's significant evidence the Tories' flagship 'Free Port' may be poisoning the North East coast, and has been completely ignored, and guidelines waived.”

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Oct-22 06:21:47

Reading - Coffey is scrapping a report that health inequality is getting much worse in the U.K.

A child born in Gateshead will die 15 years earlier than a child born in Guildford.

Daisymae Sat 01-Oct-22 06:59:53

They are now going to cut the welfare state. They are just loving it. Benefits, NHS, education you name it, all for paring down. They want a small state and they are going to dismantle what they can, while they can.

MaizieD Sat 01-Oct-22 08:40:38

Whitewavemark2

“Bombshell report on #C4News. Turns out there's significant evidence the Tories' flagship 'Free Port' may be poisoning the North East coast, and has been completely ignored, and guidelines waived.”

Locals have been worried about this for a long time. Unbelievable quantities of dead crustacea have been washing up on our beaches this year.
The Teesport dredging is picking up decade's (probably more like a century's) worth of toxic industrial waste and dumping it at sea.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Oct-22 08:42:21

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

Locals have been worried about this for a long time. Unbelievable quantities of dead crustacea have been washing up on our beaches this year.
The Teesport dredging is picking up decade's (probably more like a century's) worth of toxic industrial waste and dumping it at sea.

It won’t stop there. This is happening before they trash the regulatory guidelines.

MayBee70 Sat 01-Oct-22 11:35:32

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

It’s a pity that things like marine life being wiped out in huge quantities doesn’t make front page news.

Grantanow Sat 01-Oct-22 12:20:29

Getting re-elected and feathering nests.

MaizieD Sat 01-Oct-22 13:46:55

MayBee70

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

It’s a pity that things like marine life being wiped out in huge quantities doesn’t make front page news.

It makes front page news here in the NE. It isn't just a covering of dead crabs etc. on the beaches. There are PILES of them.

I don't think the local tory MPs are terribly interested in supporting their constituents worries about this, neither is the tory mayor..

BBC story here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-63065194.amp

Page of results showing the story in the local and national press over the past 12+ months (and some images.

duckduckgo.com/?q=dead+sea+creature+washed+up+teeside&t=chromentp&ia=web

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Oct-22 13:59:04

? if it works. Strange format

MaizieD Sat 01-Oct-22 14:01:48

Whitewavemark2

I'm afraid I can't read it. Too small.

Where is it from? Who is the author?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Oct-22 14:15:15

Tap on it, then tap on it again. That works.

It is a letter in The Times I think.

MaizieD Sat 01-Oct-22 16:35:00

Nope, it refuses to be tapped a second time.

Where did you get it from, Whitewave?

MaizieD Sat 01-Oct-22 18:44:16

I managed to enlarge it on my little ipad.

Cor, he doesn't mince his words, does he?

MaizieD Sat 01-Oct-22 23:08:57

Whitewavemark2

For context for anyone who does manage to read this, it's a letter to the Financial Times from a former Treasury Minister in the Major government.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 06:53:53

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

For context for anyone who does manage to read this, it's a letter to the Financial Times from a former Treasury Minister in the Major government.

Oh I’ve only just caught up with this. Sorry I didn’t get back. Sister over to eat.