Gransnet forums

News & politics

Royal children stripped of titles

(101 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 29-Sep-22 13:46:39

No, not in the UK. A story in the Mirror online today.

The Danish Royal Family has announced that four grandchildren of Queen Margrethe will lose their prince and princess titles from January 1, 2023 - and says it is in line with "other royal houses". The move affects the children of the Queen's second son Prince Joachim - Prince Nikolai, 23, Prince Felix, 20, Prince Henrik, 13, and 10-year-old Princess Athena. Instead, they will use titles of count or countess and be referred to as their excellencies from next year.

I love the photo that accompanies the piece, they look such a happy family, smartly but not extravagantly dressed and not a uniform or medal in sight.

volver Thu 29-Sep-22 23:52:35

No, just you.

Chestnut Thu 29-Sep-22 23:51:30

Maybe write to George Clooney and ask him what is wrong with him and why he is so pathetic? ???

volver Thu 29-Sep-22 23:49:27

Good lord.

How pathetic. What is wrong with you folk?

Chestnut Thu 29-Sep-22 23:46:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

volver Thu 29-Sep-22 23:43:09

Callistemon21

^Wee man^ - I understand wee, it means small.

If someone is tall it seems a ridiculous word to use.
Oh, "this is my wee grandson", as he towers above me ?

I'll just let the rest of Scotland know that you don't approve of our use of language so we should immediately desist.

Get ower yersel'.

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 23:01:45

It's shocking, merlotgran. She's a woman and should dress appropriately in a skirt and very high heels and travel in a limousine, not march with the men wearing ? trousers.

merlotgran Thu 29-Sep-22 22:43:31

I love the way Princess Anne has broken the mould of female royals by riding or parading alongside the men in ceremonial dress.

I know things will have changed a great deal when William is king and I may not be around to see it but I hope Charlotte takes a leaf out of Aunty Anne’s book because she already has the stage presence.

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 22:29:52

I do admire Princess Anne but her uniform is incongrous...my brother (ex RN) said she looked like something from HMS Pinafore. Sorry I expect some on here will be offended by that

Well, not offended exactly and I won't enter into an argument whether Princess Anne is entitled to wear it or not, but it is the ceremonial dress uniform of an Admiral.
Obviously not what an Admiral would wear normally, except on ceremonial occasions.

Zoejory Thu 29-Sep-22 22:25:57

This is a lovely photo.

BigBertha1 Thu 29-Sep-22 22:21:32

Blossoming thank you for your post I saw this article about the Danish RF and it made me wonder what our King might do. I agree our RF did look splendid at the funeral but isn't it time to review all this militeria. I do admire Princess Anne but her uniform is incongrous...my brother (ex RN) said she looked like something from HMS Pinafore. Sorry I expect some on here will be offended by that. I just hope the King will take something from the Danish and Swedish Royal Families

Witzend Thu 29-Sep-22 22:15:14

Over the years there have been plenty of both very informal photos and ‘normal dress’ photos of our RF.

It’s not as if they’re never seen in anything but ‘Ruritania’ outfits, as one pp seems to imply.

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 22:10:54

Wee man - I understand wee, it means small.

If someone is tall it seems a ridiculous word to use.
Oh, "this is my wee grandson", as he towers above me ?

Lucca Thu 29-Sep-22 22:05:43

Callistemon21

grannydarkhair

Rosie51 “wee man” is a common term of affection in Scotland. My oldest g’son is 19, well over 6ft and he is often called “wee man” by both his Mum (my daughter) and myself.

We're not all Scottish and may not understand the vernacular.

Oh come on….wee man isn’t hard to understand. My northern Irish friend uses the diminutive “wee” about loads of tbh gs and I’ve never heard anyone ask her why ……

Rosie51 Thu 29-Sep-22 20:05:41

V3ra

Rosie51

My policeman son has the golden and platinum jubilee medals. No doubt he'll get the coronation medal if there is one and he's a serving officer. I consider him to be important, doing an important job. He -couldn't care less isn't bothered about the medals.

My son will have the platinum one as well, though he hasn't mentioned it.

What he does have is a beautiful medal for the nine years he spent as a Police Special Constable, serving alongside his regular colleagues, in his own time and unpaid.
Now that one I'm very proud of on his behalf ?

And so you should be, as should he. Specials are an invaluable resource and very much appreciated by the regulars!

M0nica Thu 29-Sep-22 20:02:19

I like accuracy, especially when someone is dissing another group.

V3ra Thu 29-Sep-22 19:55:52

Rosie51

My policeman son has the golden and platinum jubilee medals. No doubt he'll get the coronation medal if there is one and he's a serving officer. I consider him to be important, doing an important job. He -couldn't care less isn't bothered about the medals.

My son will have the platinum one as well, though he hasn't mentioned it.

What he does have is a beautiful medal for the nine years he spent as a Police Special Constable, serving alongside his regular colleagues, in his own time and unpaid.
Now that one I'm very proud of on his behalf ?

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 19:52:46

volver

*Callistemon21*. I'd advise you never move to Scotland. Your head will explode with pedantry. ?

My BF was Scottish as are many of my friends (emigrants, I suppose but never lost their accents).

However, I probably wouldn't use my local vernacular as I wouldn't expect most posters to know what I meant.

volver Thu 29-Sep-22 19:52:05

Callistemon21

grannydarkhair

Rosie51 “wee man” is a common term of affection in Scotland. My oldest g’son is 19, well over 6ft and he is often called “wee man” by both his Mum (my daughter) and myself.

Well every day is a school day on GN.

volver Thu 29-Sep-22 19:51:39

Earl of Wessex's children have standard titles

I'm really not picking on the wee man, but a Viscount?

I'm afraid I agree with Ilovecheese

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 19:50:04

grannydarkhair

volver Thu 29-Sep-22 19:50:03

Cross post grannydarkhair.

volver Thu 29-Sep-22 19:49:21

Callistemon21. I'd advise you never move to Scotland. Your head will explode with pedantry. ?

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 19:48:53

M0nica just for you - and anyone else who is interested!

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 19:47:58

It's how you tell 'em M0nica!!
?

grannydarkhair Thu 29-Sep-22 19:47:15