Gransnet forums

News & politics

Royal children stripped of titles

(101 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 29-Sep-22 13:46:39

No, not in the UK. A story in the Mirror online today.

The Danish Royal Family has announced that four grandchildren of Queen Margrethe will lose their prince and princess titles from January 1, 2023 - and says it is in line with "other royal houses". The move affects the children of the Queen's second son Prince Joachim - Prince Nikolai, 23, Prince Felix, 20, Prince Henrik, 13, and 10-year-old Princess Athena. Instead, they will use titles of count or countess and be referred to as their excellencies from next year.

I love the photo that accompanies the piece, they look such a happy family, smartly but not extravagantly dressed and not a uniform or medal in sight.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:48:11

have a wee glass of wine etc

Surely there is no such thing Lucca ???
? only that one looks rather wee!

Lucca Fri 30-Sep-22 16:59:25

Callistemon21

^Although, I am still not too sure what mardy means, I would never insult the poster demanding she speaks proper English^.

?

As wee means small, it's confusing if it's used to describe someone tall Kalu.
It's a contradiction in terms.

Mardy means mardy.
ie grumpy, in a miserable mood
You wouldn't call someone who was smiling and happy "that mardy woman".

I suppose using wee is like Australians calling someone with red hair "Bluey"

No. It’s merely a word . Often used as affection ( my wee grandson, and no it’s not confusing if he’s tall FGS) but sometimes literally. Let’s have a wee look, have a wee glass of wine etc.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 12:40:34

Kalu

He was probably a wee man. ?

We've a friend whom my Edinburgh (emigrant) friend always describes as "a poor wee man".
He's not tall but he's certainly not poor ?

Kalu Fri 30-Sep-22 12:10:15

He was probably a wee man. ?

Kalu Fri 30-Sep-22 12:09:03

Joseanne

I always thought wee meant small, irrespective of age. I remember the nursery rhyme Wee Willie Winkie, and being disturbed by the scary old man who said I should go to bed early.

Wee Willie Winkie was taller than the children who imagined him runnin’ thru the toon in William Miller’s Scottish nursery rhyme.

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 11:55:36

I met Lorraine once.

She's a wee stoater.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:50:03

We palled up with a couple from Glasgow on holiday a few years ago and, looking at that picture of Lorraine above I remembered the woman saying "She just likes to pretend she's an ordinary wee woman from Glasgow."
I don't think they liked her ....

Joseanne Fri 30-Sep-22 11:47:02

I always thought wee meant small, irrespective of age. I remember the nursery rhyme Wee Willie Winkie, and being disturbed by the scary old man who said I should go to bed early.

Kalu Fri 30-Sep-22 11:43:19

Wee can also mean younger Calli. ie; an older sister who has a taller, younger sister, will refer to her as ‘my wee sister’.
Ergo; that wee boy applies to him being young. Simples!?

Not to be taken literally, simply a term of endearment.
If you are at all unsure, all you have to do is ask and all will become clear.
I got the mardy meaning from Mr Google. ?

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:32:54

I need a wee weewee?

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-22 11:32:32

What do small children in Scotland say when they need the loo?

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:29:01

Although, I am still not too sure what mardy means, I would never insult the poster demanding she speaks proper English.

?

As wee means small, it's confusing if it's used to describe someone tall Kalu.
It's a contradiction in terms.

Mardy means mardy.
ie grumpy, in a miserable mood
You wouldn't call someone who was smiling and happy "that mardy woman".

I suppose using wee is like Australians calling someone with red hair "Bluey"

Kalu Fri 30-Sep-22 10:53:38

Galaxy

Nobody on here can dictate the speech of others. If there is something that breaks guidelines the mechanism is to report. As a geordie I would probably say canny bairn Lucca ?

Oh you are brave Galaxy
A term of endearment this Scot has come across many times.
Although, I am still not too sure what mardy means, I would never insult the poster demanding she speaks proper English.
If in doubt…..Google it. ?

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 10:36:19

Trust me Nanna8. There's not a lot of Scots who like Liz Truss ?

nanna8 Fri 30-Sep-22 10:22:18

So many people seem to dislike this Liz Truss I think I am beginning to like her. Must be the Scottish bit in me ….

Galaxy Fri 30-Sep-22 09:16:25

Are we now organising our lives based on the views of George Clooney. That's going to be tricky for me. What are his views on the energy crisis for example.

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 09:11:19

He didn't mention urine and he didn't rudely tell her to stick to using the phrase in Scotland. (As far as I know, I don't watch daytime TV.)

You did.

It's not funny. Stop trying to deflect blame. You sound like Liz Truss.

Chestnut Fri 30-Sep-22 09:08:13

Oh that’s an awful thing to say. Really verges on xenophobic.

Oh dear, it was just a joke because of the comment George Clooney made. He also thinks it's a strange phrase.

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 08:45:44

Who was that woman in a uniform riding a horse at the Trooping the Colour all those years then?

Riding sidesaddle. Because a woman couldn't possibly be seen riding astride...

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 08:07:57

I love the way Princess Anne has broken the mould of female royals by riding or parading alongside the men in ceremonial dress.

Who was that woman in a uniform riding a horse at the Trooping the Colour all those years then?

It amuses me that members of the RF, such as Anne, get praised for doing things they have no responsibility for.

Galaxy Fri 30-Sep-22 07:52:23

Nobody on here can dictate the speech of others. If there is something that breaks guidelines the mechanism is to report. As a geordie I would probably say canny bairn Lucca ?

nanna8 Fri 30-Sep-22 06:44:29

That point about the hard won medals of non Royals worries me,too. I tend to think it lowers their value when you have people who haven’t really earned them parading round with them. Perhaps they could have special medals made for the royals that are in some way different from those earned the hard way.

Lucca Fri 30-Sep-22 03:22:23

Chestnut

grannydarkhair

Rosie51 “wee man” is a common term of affection in Scotland. My oldest g’son is 19, well over 6ft and he is often called “wee man” by both his Mum (my daughter) and myself.

A common term in Scotland so maybe stick to using it there, where people appreciate it. Did anyone see George Clooney's response when Lorraine Kelly said 'You have a wee kissing scene...' and he said what a strange phrase. I have to agree. Keep the urine up in Scotland.

Oh that’s an awful thing to say.

Really verges on xenophobic.

“Here’s my wee nephew “. “Oh but he’s tall? I don’t understand?” Yeah, right..

So all the Irish and Scots must watch what they say? And Geordies can’t say Bonny lad if he’s not actually Bonny ?

Eloethan Fri 30-Sep-22 00:35:36

All the medals look ridiculous and are an insult to people who have really contributed something valuable to the country.

welbeck Fri 30-Sep-22 00:22:59

Callistemon21

It's shocking, merlotgran. She's a woman and should dress appropriately in a skirt and very high heels and travel in a limousine, not march with the men wearing ? trousers.

yes, i felt the hms pinafore comment carried some misogyny.
i saw nothing at all incongruous about her attire.
ok, i'm not ex RN, or anything else, but i have been glued to tv screens, studying ceremonial events since i was knee high to a grasshopper.