Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liz Truss has told King Charles not to go to the COP27 meeting next month

(184 Posts)
Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 10:01:49

This is what I have just heard said on the BBC 9am news. And yes, they used the word 'told'.

It isn't on their website. It's considerably toned down on the Guardian website. The mirror is even stronger - 'Liz Truss orders King Charles not to attend COP27 climate summit."

What the hell is going on here?

Sarah74 Sat 22-Oct-22 11:14:14

When is the summit though? There might be two more PMs by then smile

MaizieD Sat 22-Oct-22 11:05:26

CatsCatsCats

King Charles, Now's your chance. No more Liz Truss, so get in there quick and commit to going before the next PM says 'no'.

Perhaps he should go 'incognito' as the Duke of Somewhere or Other.

But I did think when Truss resigned "Now's your chance, Charlie boy" grin

CatsCatsCats Sat 22-Oct-22 09:17:41

King Charles, Now's your chance. No more Liz Truss, so get in there quick and commit to going before the next PM says 'no'.

Alie2Oxon Wed 05-Oct-22 13:13:00

Yes, let's get back to COP27. please.
Never mind Misstrusst

So Alok Sharma is saying this - good.

Some quotes:

The Egyptian government, host of the next UN climate summit, has warned the UK against “backtracking from the global climate agenda”, in a significant intervention prompted by fears over Liz Truss’s commitment to net zero.

Rees-Mogg tells Tories he’d welcome fracking in his back garden

Led by climate groups across Africa and the Middle East, hundreds of activists from countries that are the least responsible for the crisis but are experiencing the worst impacts have gathered in Tunisia to prepare for what they say will be a collective fight for justice for their countries and communities, which they will take to Cop27 next month.

www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/29/could-a-digital-twin-of-tuvalu-preserve-the-island-nation-before-its-lost-to-the-collapsing-climate

- For god’s sake, is this the best we can do?? Let the sea take the island, but do little to stop it?

icanhandthemback Wed 05-Oct-22 11:05:28

My half penneth is this: Climate Change isn't political per se but the way we handle it is. I don't suppose that Liz Truss (as much as I don't like her) ordered Charles not to go. I would have thought that the best way forward would have been for Charles to make a speech which allowed for his concerns to be heard but not outwardly criticising "his" Government in order to protect position of the monarchy.

MaizieD Wed 05-Oct-22 10:35:57

volver

^King Charles should attend climate summit, COP26 president says^

The COP26 President is a member of Truss's cabinet.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63136131

Fresh evidence of tory party civil war.

Cabinet members should not be taking a separate line from their leader.

Grany Wed 05-Oct-22 10:05:33

Why don't RF stop burning land for grouse shooting and rewilding it like they were asked to do.

Grany Wed 05-Oct-22 10:01:49

“Wales today is a modern, democratic country, with a Senedd making progress, giving the people of Wales a voice and a platform to drive change and develop as a nation,” he said.

“This archaic oppressive tradition is a blight on our nation and has been for centuries. It gives the impression that the people of Wales are owned by the system, rather than being free citizens living in our own country.

“It is holding us back from stepping out independently and making our own way in the world. In my view, this is the time for the people of Wales to be given the opportunity to make our voice heard and abolish this insulting title passed on from gentry as a continued oppressive symbol on our land and our people.

“It makes no sense, in my view that so much public money is used to sustain the Royal family, including the Prince of Wales role, given the cost of living crisis that our people are suffering up and down the country.”

Gwynedd councillor submits motion to shelve Prince of Wales investiture plans

nation.cymru/news/gwynedd-councillor-submits-motion-to-shelve-prince-of-wales-investiture-plans/?fbclid=IwAR2yeolyMzXUDaD_r1FkXvNm-sMKzzFHjqeRAArez-F-locQxDczDjSRSJM

There are many notable worthy people who will talk on climate crisis People know Charles is climate hypocrite

Anniebach Wed 05-Oct-22 09:56:14

Casdon thank you for the link ,

CatsCatsCats Wed 05-Oct-22 09:17:49

Come on Charles, man up. Ignore Liz Truss and get to COP 27 - it's far more important than most things going on at the moment.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:12:51

COP 27 is requesting the King’s attendance

volver Wed 05-Oct-22 09:06:29

King Charles should attend climate summit, COP26 president says

The COP26 President is a member of Truss's cabinet.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63136131

FannyCornforth Wed 05-Oct-22 08:24:23

I remember the Queen and Mrs Obama too.
It was lovely and touching.
I imagine that she had the emotional intelligence to know what was and wasn’t personally appropriate.
The Obamas were great weren’t they they.
Those were the days sad
I’d do anything if we could all go back to around 2012

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 22:36:53

happycatholicwife1

Aldom, that's not true. And at least Truss is an English woman. Doesn't anybody remember when Michelle Obama walked up to the Queen (first time they met) and tackled her with an embrace that nearly knocked the poor woman over?

Now if I say "Oh, those pushy Americans" I'll get chastised for being anti-American!

Well, I saw her put a gentle arm around the Queen's shoulders and the Queen put her arm around Michelle's waist.
The Queen didn't seem to mind.
Unprecedented!
Well, there was Paul Keating but he's Australian ?

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 22:35:39

And....another night when the whole site's gone bonkers ?

happycatholicwife1 Tue 04-Oct-22 22:24:17

Aldom, that's not true. And at least Truss is an English woman. Doesn't anybody remember when Michelle Obama walked up to the Queen (first time they met) and tackled her with an embrace that nearly knocked the poor woman over?

Casdon Tue 04-Oct-22 19:02:45

Grany

Scottish government introduces new law to stop rent increases. Charles gets first look at draft law and is allowed to lobby - in secret - for changes to suit his private interests. Absolute disgrace.

This does my head in though. Grany you have done it again.
twitter.com/search?src=trend_click&q=%23NotMyKing
Please credit republic!

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 18:35:29

Not, it wasn't grany who got it wrong....

Anniebach Tue 04-Oct-22 18:34:38

Grany got it wrong ? surely not

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 18:32:25

He's allowed to lobby - that's not a secret.

What he asks for and what he gets - that's the secret.

Anniebach Tue 04-Oct-22 18:30:32

So it isn’t a secret

Grany Tue 04-Oct-22 18:12:35

Scottish government introduces new law to stop rent increases. Charles gets first look at draft law and is allowed to lobby - in secret - for changes to suit his private interests. Absolute disgrace.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 11:24:08

But he does have a job to do

And, as Anniebach says sod the people he is to meet they can wait

On yer bike! They even have rechargeable electric ones now. ?

Anniebach Tue 04-Oct-22 11:21:36

An appointment in N.Ireland and Wales, so use a car and a boat
and sod the people he is to meet they can wait,

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 10:57:41

Grany

Unelected Head of State hasn't got a job can only do what the PM asks, just serves politicians and the monarchy.

No role to play for the people of this country and the constitution

He has got a job. I don't think it's as hard as they make out, I don't think its right that he should have it just because of who his mum was, and I don't support the continuation of an undemocratic governmental system.

But he does have a job to do.