Gransnet forums

News & politics

Miranda Hughes

(78 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Oct-22 13:06:32

Miranda Hughes is a nurse who worked in a Private Hospital, she was on Channel 5’s Britain in the Brink this week where she asserted that anyone who voted Tory should not be resuscitated by the NHS.

She has been sacked, whilst I disagree with her statement, is it ok to be sacked for your political beliefs?

GagaJo Wed 05-Oct-22 17:57:43

TBH I think what she said makes sense.

If you vote for a party that wants to do away with the NHS, then you accept that state medical help isn't there.

I sympathise with her. I could rant about the Tories and about those that I regard as being s****d or s*****h to vote for them any day of the week.

They are on record repeatedly for saying they would get rid of the NHS. Why would anyone vote for that?????

Callistemon21 Wed 05-Oct-22 18:17:00

She didn't work for the NHS.
She sold her soul to the devil and worked in the private sector ?

maddyone Wed 05-Oct-22 18:32:47

Whatever the rules are/were, professional people do not, or should not, differentiate what they will do or not do, according to the client, customer, patient, pupil’s political beliefs. In particular, medics should never differentiate between patients, according to their beliefs. The terrorist is treated in a hospital in exactly the same way as the victim of the terrorist. That’s what medics do. This woman is a disgrace to her profession.

Madgran77 Wed 05-Oct-22 18:36:32

She has been sacked, whilst I disagree with her statement, is it ok to be sacked for your political beliefs?

Believing people should not be resuscitated because of their political belief is NOT a political belief!!

MissAdventure Wed 05-Oct-22 18:39:28

Well, a person can believe whatever they want, we don't have,the thought police (yet!) but probably best to keep a lid on it regarding work practices.

eazybee Wed 05-Oct-22 18:40:53

Of course she should be sacked. She has stated publicly that she would not resuscitate a patient who was a Tory. That is not a political belief, it is a threat and has destroyed any trust between her and her patients.

Zoejory Wed 05-Oct-22 18:41:14

I might be wrong but won't many of the private patients she cares for be Conservative voters?

She just got carried away and of course bitterly regrets her words. I'm also quite sure she'd have resuscitated anyone of any political persuasion if need be.

Medical staff will help all who need it. Including murderers.

She had to be sacked but it's a shame. She just got carried away on the moment

Callistemon21 Wed 05-Oct-22 18:41:54

maddyone

Whatever the rules are/were, professional people do not, or should not, differentiate what they will do or not do, according to the client, customer, patient, pupil’s political beliefs. In particular, medics should never differentiate between patients, according to their beliefs. The terrorist is treated in a hospital in exactly the same way as the victim of the terrorist. That’s what medics do. This woman is a disgrace to her profession.

Exactly, maddyone.

Her views are abhorrent.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Oct-22 18:43:34

She hasn't said she would not resuscitate.
She has said she doesn't think people should be resuscitated.
Nobody is going to check with her what she thinks they should do before resusitating someone.

Callistemon21 Wed 05-Oct-22 18:46:40

She can't be very bright, though.
How would she know who voted what?
It's just a stupid statement but totally against the ethics of her profession.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Oct-22 18:48:37

Perhaps she could branch out into a political career?

Allsorts Wed 05-Oct-22 18:49:01

She should have been sacked, not for her political beliefs, as a nurse she is there to help all people not the chosen few. Where is the caring? How can anyone defend such opinions, just shows you how low people can get.you She is a disgrace and the people that support such extremism. We don’t need such people.

GagaJo Wed 05-Oct-22 19:06:48

Madgran77

*She has been sacked, whilst I disagree with her statement, is it ok to be sacked for your political beliefs? *

Believing people should not be resuscitated because of their political belief is NOT a political belief!!

To quote Doodledog,
It should be noted that she said that those who voted Tory had no right to be resuscitated, as they had voted for the cuts to the NHS ( that had led to the situation we are in (or maybe were in during Covid - I can't remember). When asked she said that of course she wouldn't refuse to resuscitate anyone. She was talking theoretically

Of course it's political. If you vote for something to be abolished, why do you want to use it?

GagaJo Wed 05-Oct-22 19:07:29

MissAdventure

Perhaps she could branch out into a political career?

Quite. A la Boris Johnson.

JaneJudge Wed 05-Oct-22 19:12:12

It;s not medically ethical in the UK but I do feel her pain
sorry not sorry

GagaJo Wed 05-Oct-22 19:15:40

She didn't say she wouldn't resuss, just that Conservative voters shouldn't want it in the NHS they voted against.

Baggs Wed 05-Oct-22 19:22:49

I'm not sure it's sensible to assume that all Tory voters "don't want" the NHS, or that they wish it ill. After all, we know that quite a lot of voters at the last general election voted Tory for quite another reason, nothing to do with the NHS.

And, as with practically any other grouping of people under the sun, all Tory voters do not think alike on many other subjects – witness the political wrangling going on right now about the economy, levelling-up and many other issues.

Petera Wed 05-Oct-22 19:22:57

MissAdventure

So, how about the doctors and nurses who made the videos of themselves singing and dancing during the worst of covid?

Did they break any rules?

Post some links so we can decide. I'll try to keep an open mind but if I were a betting gran I'd bet the answer is 'no'

JaneJudge Wed 05-Oct-22 19:29:30

Baggs

I'm not sure it's sensible to assume that all Tory voters "don't want" the NHS, or that they wish it ill. After all, we know that quite a lot of voters at the last general election voted Tory for quite another reason, nothing to do with the NHS.

And, as with practically any other grouping of people under the sun, all Tory voters do not think alike on many other subjects – witness the political wrangling going on right now about the economy, levelling-up and many other issues.

so all the Brexit voters are up in arms about what was said on the side of a massive red bus regarding the NHS?

JaneJudge Wed 05-Oct-22 19:29:46

as I've seen NOTHING on gransnet about it, at all

Baggs Wed 05-Oct-22 19:38:55

Don't think I've seen any anywhere, TBH. But I did read Michael Ashcroft's book, Life Support, to try and get a handle on a typical Tory view of the NHS. I didn't come away with a feeling that even someone as Tory as him wants rid of the NHS, more an impression that it needs urgent treatment to make it work better.

JaneJudge Wed 05-Oct-22 19:43:10

So why has it been ignored that people voted for Brexit to give the money to the NHS?
Is it because of subtle regression techniques used by those in power?

Doodledog Wed 05-Oct-22 19:52:29

maddyone

She didn’t do that though. She made the point that people who had voted for the decimation of the NHS by voting Tory are not (in her opinion) entitled (hypothetically) to make use of it ahead of those who voted against that decimation.

Had she said what she actively distanced herself from having said (that she wouldn’t treat a Tory) then I’d agree that she was being unprofessional, and if there were any possibility that she might refuse to treat anyone because of their beliefs, then I’d agree that she should be sacked. But she didn’t. I do wish this would be recognised and that people would stop saying that she said things that she didn’t say. It really feels like wilful misinterpretation, as this has been said many times.

GagaJo Wed 05-Oct-22 19:52:35

Baggs

Makes no difference the reasons those ticks went in. We all knew they were going to decimate the NHS.

You vote for them. You vote for the demise of the NHS.

Zoejory Wed 05-Oct-22 21:09:24

We shouldn't forget that Tony Blair was a fan of integrating private medicine into the NHS. It's not a new thing.