Gransnet forums

News & politics

Voter Identity At Future Elections.

(107 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 05-Oct-22 13:56:21

Just wondered how many on GN are aware that from May 2023, you will have to prove your identity before you can vote at a polling station at election time.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 21:24:30

DaisyAnne

volver

Nobody worried about their democratic rights and voter suppression?

Just me...?

Lots of people are worried about it volver. They just don't come on Gransnett to talk about something that, at the moment, they can do nothing about.

But we do admit that all those that consider themselves above us get extra points in the game of life when they do. So well done you cupcake

Why do you hate me DaisyAnne? ????

DaisyAnne Fri 07-Oct-22 22:37:14

I don't hate you volver. You do have to have a dig at other people though, and I dig back. I will try to stop doing it as you may have some very good reason for doing it and it would then be really unfair to you.

Maudi Sat 08-Oct-22 05:37:22

I can't see a problem with people having to prove who they are when voting. If you have nothing to hide and you want to vote just provide ID.

volver Sat 08-Oct-22 07:19:52

If you have nothing to hide ?

Calendargirl Sat 08-Oct-22 07:24:56

Why not just get a postal vote?

Can’t recall what i/d had to be provided though.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 08-Oct-22 07:26:40

Calendargirl

It doesn’t, and perversely is the easiest way for any fraud to be committed.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 08-Oct-22 08:22:56

In the area in which I taught it was very common for people to have no driving licence and no passport, and for some living with family, no bill with their name on. It caused difficulties in the process for the DBS certification, if they offered to volunteer. They would not be able to vote in this new regime.

Witzend Sat 08-Oct-22 08:30:38

Whitewavemark2

Calendargirl

It doesn’t, and perversely is the easiest way for any fraud to be committed.

I’d echo that - postal vote fraud has certainly been proved to be a thing. I could easily have applied for a PV in my mother’s name when she had dementia and was well past understanding (let alone caring) that an election was imminent.

MaizieD Sat 08-Oct-22 08:40:56

Calendargirl

Why should we have to do that?

What is wrong with people that they not only obediently co-operate with unnecessary regulation but they try to persuade the dissenters that it's absolutely fine and normal for citizens' freedoms to be withdrawn on the slimmest of pretexts?

Baaa....

volver Sat 08-Oct-22 09:10:23

This ^^, this, a million times this....

DaisyAnne Sat 08-Oct-22 11:48:41

Chocolatelovinggran

In the area in which I taught it was very common for people to have no driving licence and no passport, and for some living with family, no bill with their name on. It caused difficulties in the process for the DBS certification, if they offered to volunteer. They would not be able to vote in this new regime.

Yes, Chocolatelovinggran. It's nothing to do with having nothing to hide. It's done deliberately because the poor are immediately disadvantaged ... again.

kircubbin2000 Sat 08-Oct-22 12:27:39

pinkprincess

I remember during the build up to one General Election my mother, who was suffering from severe dementia received a polling card.The poor soul did not know what day it was never mind who to vote for.My family and I decided to destroy it, rather than allow it to get into the hands of someone who would pretend to be her and so make a vote.

You don't need a polling card to vote. It's just a reminder of where to vote.Anyone can say they are you and give your address. Last time my daughter went to vote her vote had already been taken.

MaizieD Sat 08-Oct-22 12:32:58

kircubbin2000

pinkprincess

I remember during the build up to one General Election my mother, who was suffering from severe dementia received a polling card.The poor soul did not know what day it was never mind who to vote for.My family and I decided to destroy it, rather than allow it to get into the hands of someone who would pretend to be her and so make a vote.

You don't need a polling card to vote. It's just a reminder of where to vote.Anyone can say they are you and give your address. Last time my daughter went to vote her vote had already been taken.

Did she report it? Was anything done about it?

volver Sat 08-Oct-22 12:34:18

kircubbin2000

pinkprincess

Was she the "one" then?

Because there was only one instance of it in 2019.

Rosie51 Sat 08-Oct-22 12:41:00

volver

kircubbin2000

pinkprincess

Was she the "one" then?

Because there was only one instance of it in 2019.

Surely you mean, one prosecution? If the person whose vote has been used by someone else didn't attempt to vote, it wouldn't come to light. I am not saying this happens in any numbers, just pointing out it isn't conclusively just one.

volver Sat 08-Oct-22 12:43:24

Fair point Rosie51. MaizieD's question is the key one then - did the person report it? What happened then?

MaizieD Sat 08-Oct-22 13:32:20

volver

Fair point Rosie51. MaizieD's question is the key one then - did the person report it? What happened then?

Thanks, volver.

If I'd turned up to vote and found that someone else had claimed to be me I would not only report it to the Electoral Commission but I would make one big stink about it. Press, social media and anywhere I could.

So I just wondered....

MaizieD Sat 08-Oct-22 13:44:45

Oh, I've just cottoned on the the fact that kircubbin is in NI.

Wasn't it the story that voter ID was introduced during the Troubles because of the 'Vote early, vote often' meme that was doing the rounds?

As it was introduced in 2002 it must have been a long time ago that kircubbin's daughter's vote was stolen. Or was she living on the UK mainland at the time?

As a response to a specific serious problem it is fine by me (though I'd expect the requirement to be removed once circumstances no longer justified it).

kircubbin2000 Sat 08-Oct-22 13:48:32

It was in London about 2 elections ago. I think she told the staff but nothing was done.

Grantanow Sat 08-Oct-22 14:00:28

A totally unnecessary hurdle to voting intended to weaken the anti-Tory vote in poorer communities. There was no serious evidence of voter identity fraud in Great Britain.

NotSpaghetti Sat 08-Oct-22 14:56:51

volver

^If you have nothing to hide^ ?

That old chestnut!
?

Joy241 Sat 08-Oct-22 15:07:49

This is a difficult one. Yes, it can be discriminatory, but I do understand that while there are vote fixing scandals around, something needs to be done. It is a balancing act.

HousePlantQueen Sat 08-Oct-22 15:12:49

Chocolatelovinggran

ah, but Maudi says if they have nothing to hide......... There are probably many people like this, and they are being probably disenfranchised, but certainly inconvenienced for no reason at all.

HousePlantQueen Sat 08-Oct-22 15:17:23

Joy241

This is a difficult one. Yes, it can be discriminatory, but I do understand that while there are vote fixing scandals around, something needs to be done. It is a balancing act.

which 'vote fixing scandals' are you talking about? Or are you parroting our friend Trump? It really isn't acceptable to make wild statements without evidence.

mokryna Sat 08-Oct-22 21:31:23

I have a voter’s card which was issued this year for me and tomorrow I am voting for the sixth time this year.
I have to show it when I enter the voting station, again just before I pop the envelope in the box and again it is verified with my signature.