Gransnet forums

News & politics

A boost for Brexit?

(375 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 22-Nov-22 07:47:25

“Starmer: UK must wean itself off migrant labour
Days of low pay and dependence on foreign workers are over, Labour leader to insist”

BEN RILEY-SMITHPolitical Editor (in the Telegraph today).

BRITAIN must end its economic dependence on immigration, Sir Keir Starmer will say today as he toughens the Labour Party’s stance in a speech to business leaders.

In a significant intervention, Sir Keir will tell the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) conference that the days of “low pay and cheap labour” are over.

The speech will be seen as an attempt to quash any suggestion that the Labour leader would emulate his predecessor Tony Blair’s looser approach to immigration if he reaches No 10.

Sir Keir is trying to convince voters that he is reconciled to Britain’s future outside of the European Union as he targets winning back former Labour Red Wall seats at the next election which voted en masse for Brexit.”

And yesterday when Sunak addressed the CBI conference he reiterated that the UK would not be seeking a Switzerland type deal, aligning the UK more with Brussels.

Finally, to me, it seems hopeful that a more robust Brexit will be delivered. It’s been on the back burner for six years and in my opinion it’s time to crack on with getting rid of red tape that doesn’t need to apply to us. This does not mean lowering standards, just simplifying processes and making the UK more competitive and lean.

What do you think about what Starmer & Sunak are saying?

varian Tue 17-Jan-23 20:17:56

Brexit has led to a shortfall of 330,000 people in the UK labour force, mostly in the low-skilled economy, a report by leading researchers has found.

The departure from the EU in 2020 led to an increase in immigration from non-EU countries but not enough to compensate from the loss of workers from neighbouring countries, according to the joint findings of the thinktanks

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Jan-23 20:31:28

I read today that The Telegraph reckons we will be rejoining much sooner than expected.

Good-oh. Might happen before I pop off.

vegansrock Wed 18-Jan-23 05:40:23

It’s funny that immigration has increased since Brexit so much for taking back control of our borders. The number of people applying for EU passports has increased significantly too - that’s another boost!

varian Wed 18-Jan-23 18:18:36

Unfortunately many immigrants are stuck in hostels, hotels and other accommodation awaiting the assessment of their asylum claims and not allowed to work.

These people include highly qualified doctors, nurses, teachers, lawyers, engineers, architects, accountants, teachers, university lecturers, scientists, technologists, IT professionals, etc, but also many unskilled migrants who would be happy to do agricultural work, reaping crops, picking fruit and vegetables which would otherwise rot in the fields.

All we need is for the civil service to prioritise assessing their asylum claims. We know from experience that more than 80% of them will be successful.

Hey presto -Labour problem solved

varian Thu 19-Jan-23 11:39:20

Sadiq Khan condemns Brexit damage ‘denial’ and calls for debate on rejoining single market

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sadiq-khan-brexit-eu-single-market-b2260691.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IND_Brexit%202023-01-19&utm_term=IND_Brexit_Beyond_Newsletter

Grantanow Thu 19-Jan-23 12:12:46

It may be true, varian, that the Tory Lib Dem coalition enacted some minor Lib Dem policies (and the alternative vote system was roundly defeated by referendum) but if the Lib Dems had worked harder to form one with Labour we would not have had 12 years of appalling Tory governments, the rise of unelectable Corbyn, the Brexit fiasco, etc. I accept that Gordon Brown must bear some responsibility for that (as well as Blair for handing him the job) but I simply can't trust the Lib Dems again. Once bitten, twice shy.

varian Thu 19-Jan-23 15:36:14

It was not possible for the LibDems and Labour Party to form a coalition government after the 2010 general election Grantanow, no matter how hard they worked.

They had, between them, more than 50% of the votes as Labour had 29% and LibDems 23%, but because of our undemocratic First Past The Post electoral system, the two parties together did not get the required 625 (50%) of the seats. Labour got 258 and Lib Dems only 57.

The Cons, with only 36% of the vote got 306 seats. FPTP always gives them a disproportionately high number of seats.

The Con / LibDem coaliton did have more than 50% of both seats and votes.

Most LibDems, including me, would have much preferred a Lab / LibDem coalition but the artithmetic ruled that out.

MaizieD Thu 19-Jan-23 15:43:00

What would have happened if the LibDems had refused to join the tories in a coalition? There was surely no obligation for them to do that?

We would then have had a minority government and, presumably, another GE because the government wouldn't have been able to pass any legislation...

I suppose the risk of losing seats might have been too great for them?

varian Thu 19-Jan-23 15:55:32

The Tories would certainly have called another election, Maizie and as you know they are very well funded by their billionaire backers, whereas the other parties had virtually exhausted both funds and resources.

There would almost certainly have been a Tory majority- they did not need 50% of the votes or anything like it.

The result would have been the appalling chaos, incompetence and corruption we have seen since 2016, but starting five years earlier.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Jan-23 07:36:21

£45million awarded to Dover from the levelling up fund to deal with the chaos caused by Brexit.

More money down the drain because if Brexit, and since when was the levelling up fund supposed to be to mitigate Brexit chaos?

vegansrock Sun 22-Jan-23 08:16:10

www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/22/business-minister-boasted-britishvolt-brexit-success-months-before-collapse?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Business minister boasting os Brexit “success story” before company collapse.

vegansrock Sun 22-Jan-23 08:17:09

Those white elephants at Dover, Plymouth and elsewhere cost millions and have never been used. Shows how well Brexit was planned.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Jan-23 07:35:12

Britain has dropped from 5th exporter in the world to 14th since Brexit.

Dinahmo Tue 24-Jan-23 17:14:45

Another Brexit boost? Eurostar trains are running between London, Paris and Brussels are running half empty because British passports now have to be stamped.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/24/eurostar-trains-empty-seats-brexit-passport-rules-london-paris-brussels

MaizieD Tue 24-Jan-23 17:17:04

Dinahmo

Another Brexit boost? Eurostar trains are running between London, Paris and Brussels are running half empty because British passports now have to be stamped.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/24/eurostar-trains-empty-seats-brexit-passport-rules-london-paris-brussels

Oh heavens, we're going to France at Easter (by ferry). First time for me since the oven ready deal was signed. I am dreading it.

Dinahmo Tue 24-Jan-23 17:19:49

re the above:

Several years ago we went to Mexico for a holiday, with a change of planes in Houston, going out and Newark in the way back. on both journeys we had nearly 3 hours between flights. On both occasions we had to collect our luggage (no transit facility) and go through immigration and passport controls. We were asked the purpose of our visit to the US. The answer was that we weren't visiting, we were in transit to Mexico. Eventually this was accepted bu we very nearly missed our onward flights.

So, it's not just the EU that has rules which may seem a bit silly.

Dinahmo Tue 24-Jan-23 17:22:26

MaizieD It shouldn't be a problem at the ports because they are set up for cars. The problem is at the railway stations because they don't have the capacity for the numbers that have to get their passports checked.

vegansrock Tue 24-Jan-23 21:49:52

Dinhmo it’s not the EU which has silly rules - it’s the U.K.insisting on shooting itself in the foot.

Dinahmo Tue 24-Jan-23 22:05:03

I know. I was hoping not to inflame any remaining Brexiteers!

Grantanow Wed 25-Jan-23 00:11:48

Another wonderful consequence of Brexit. The misled referendum voters didn't just shoot the UK in the foot, they shot the foot right off. I blame Johnson and Farage and our educational system for failing to teach people the difference between straight and crooked thinking.

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 22:15:05

I think this is quite a significant moment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq6ltGVQxM4

Andrew Marr in the New Statesman. So Starmer is talking to EU leaders about much closer alignment, and the EU is truly listening. Quietly, persistently, efficiently. Hope? Light at the end of the tunnel.

Also described by Lammy in the House of Commons on Monday.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 10:24:13

I see Hunt’s speech about growth in a post Brexit society went down like a lead balloon with businesses - big and small.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 10:26:37

Fleurpepper

I think this is quite a significant moment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq6ltGVQxM4

Andrew Marr in the New Statesman. So Starmer is talking to EU leaders about much closer alignment, and the EU is truly listening. Quietly, persistently, efficiently. Hope? Light at the end of the tunnel.

Also described by Lammy in the House of Commons on Monday.

Excellent. Something to be optimistic about. We do need it at the moment to counteract all the dismal news from this parody of a government.

Grantanow Sun 29-Jan-23 15:24:54

Hunt's speech had nothing of substance except the bit about no tax cuts in the budget. It was mostly the usual delusional blah blah about Britain being ahead of the world, technological superpower, freed by Brexit nonsense, etc. Do we really have to listen tomthis kind of guff for another two years?