Gransnet forums

News & politics

Covid seems to have been profitable for some

(118 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 23-Nov-22 20:46:49

Surely there must be some way to get this money back? After all we're all paying for it now.
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/23/revealed-tory-peer-michelle-mone-secretly-received-29m-from-vip-lane-ppe-firm?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

HousePlantQueen Thu 24-Nov-22 17:30:03

volver

The £29 million is shocking. But when I think of her I spend most of my energy wondering why a wummin from the East End of Glasgow thought to call herself Baroness Mone of Mayfair.

Mayfair??

And if you've seen some of her tweets...😲 She doesn't come across as a nice woman.

Agreed. Baroness Mone and her tax dodging grifter of a husband. Why Mayfair? Why not somewhere beautiful or relevant or memorable from Scotland? He had the doors of his office kicked in a few months back by the SFO I believe.

MaizieD Thu 24-Nov-22 17:31:15

Urmstongran

Can we blame Matt Hancock?
Is that why he’s forging himself a new career?
He’s such a shirt button. I’d like to blame him.

I blame everyone who voted the tories into power, basically... wink

GagaJo Thu 24-Nov-22 17:38:46

MaizieD

Urmstongran

Hear hear!

I still remember that GN member (no longer on here) who said, 'JC isn't putting his hands into my pockets for taxes'. Vile.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Nov-22 17:48:00

MaizieD

Urmstongran

Nice to know who is welcome on this site and who isn’t.

Urmstongran Thu 24-Nov-22 17:55:58

Mea culpa.
I suppose it was a trade off as Boris was the only politician promising to enact Brexit. The Lib Dem’s Jo Swanson just wanted to revoke it and Labour wanted a re-run. A second ‘decisive’ referendum. Cheeky buggers.

Funny how it’s only democracy when you’re on the winning side.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Nov-22 18:00:39

Funny how it’s only democracy when you’re on the winning side

So true Urmstongran

Dinahmo Thu 24-Nov-22 18:14:35

I posted most of the following a week or so ago in a different thread but not everyone read it.

Excerpts from the PAC report from February 2022:

"In its report today the Public Accounts Committee says the total cost of UK Government losses in the response to the Covid 19 pandemic remains uncertain, but it has clearly exposed the taxpayer to substantial, long-term financial risks and “large amounts” - now running into many billions of pounds - of taxpayer’s money will be lost to fraud and error."

"The National Audit Office Covid 19 cost tracker September 2021 update reports that government has spent £261 billion on 374 measures in response to the pandemic. The measures are expected to cost a total of £370 billion over their lifetime – up to 10 years in the repayment term of the Bounce Back Loan Scheme (BBLS) and typically 20 yearsin the Cultural Recovery Fund."

"The Coronavirus Job Retention – or furlough - Scheme alone is estimated to lose £5.3 billion to fraud and error - 8.7% of the funding distributed through the scheme. The estimated loss to fraud and error across all Covid 19 response measures is not known but is expected to be at least £15 billion across the schemes and loans implemented by HM Revenue & Customs, the Department for Work & Pensions and the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy."

The Department of Health set up the VIP lane which was used by Number 10, ministers, officials and MPs to put forward suppliers who would be given priority. MH was in charge at the time.

The govt claimed that in times sucn aas the covid pandemic it was not necessary to carry out the usual checks and balances. However MH failed to publish multi million contracts within the required 30 period. This comes from a report on the Good Law Project case. Link to this:

www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/19/matt-hancock-acted-unlawfully-failing-publish-covid-contracts-high-court

It's easy enough to find all this information on the net - just google.

MaizieD Thu 24-Nov-22 18:37:53

Nice to know who is welcome on this site and who isn’t.

I did put a 'wink' at the end...

Actually, I think that Britain is getting its comeuppance for all its past sins...

How else can we explain the extraordinary combination of appalling political choices, appalling leadership, blatant corruption in high places with a worldwide pandemic and a European war which has led us to the state we are in?

It's Karma

Urmstongran Thu 24-Nov-22 19:29:07

Or ineptitude.
I’m not wearing a hair shirt.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Nov-22 20:12:44

I am on my iPhone MaizieD didn’t see the wink

Lots of things that can be laid at the door of No.10 but not the following - the pandemic was China’s ineptitude and the war in Europe is Putin’s ego

varian Thu 24-Nov-22 21:01:55

Gove has some explaining to do.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/24/michael-gove-under-pressure-explain-role-ppe-deals-michelle-mone

MaizieD Thu 24-Nov-22 23:28:22

GrannyGravy13

I am on my iPhone MaizieD didn’t see the wink

Lots of things that can be laid at the door of No.10 but not the following - the pandemic was China’s ineptitude and the war in Europe is Putin’s ego

The pandemic may have been China's ineptitude but our government's failure to deal with it, or even be prepared to deal with it, is entirely down to their total unsuitability to be entrusted with government. From the top down...

maddyone Fri 25-Nov-22 00:08:37

There is the little fact that as it was a novel virus, no one knew how to deal with it. Some countries did better than others, but absolutely no one got it right. The much lauded on Gransnet, Jacinda Ardern is not so popular in New Zealand due to her aggressive isolationist policy which has destroyed many businesses. My daughter is living there at the moment and told me about this little known fact in Britain.

MaizieD Fri 25-Nov-22 00:50:30

maddyone

There is the little fact that as it was a novel virus, no one knew how to deal with it. Some countries did better than others, but absolutely no one got it right. The much lauded on Gransnet, Jacinda Ardern is not so popular in New Zealand due to her aggressive isolationist policy which has destroyed many businesses. My daughter is living there at the moment and told me about this little known fact in Britain.

That in no way excuses our government's unpreparedness for any pandemic, its lethargic reactions and the corrupt awarding of contracts.

Whataboutery is no argument either. .

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 03:00:29

You know the corruption is so bad amongst the Tories, that when covid struck and people were suffering and dying, their first instinct appears to make money from it.

vegansrock Fri 25-Nov-22 06:16:38

This ghastly woman posted photos of herself on her newly bought luxury yacht during the pandemic. And had a lavish wedding in the Isle of Man. We paid for that!

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-22 06:30:55

There is nothing in this world no matter how terrible, that someone does not make a dishonest, and, even, an honest penny for someone, even though to others, it brings only disaster.

It was the same in WW2 and the great cutting down of railings everywhere, 'to provide metal for spitfires'. Scrap metal merchants collected them up, everyone let them have their railings for free. In fact the metal was unsuitable for any armaments and after the war scrap metal merchants everywhere, made a fortune selling the metal on as scrap.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Nov-22 07:32:16

Monica good post

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 07:37:35

How many MPs from the opposition has exploited the tax payer over covid?

It seems a peculiarly Tory type of complete lack of empathy and money grubbing.

MaizieD Fri 25-Nov-22 08:44:26

M0nica

There is nothing in this world no matter how terrible, that someone does not make a dishonest, and, even, an honest penny for someone, even though to others, it brings only disaster.

It was the same in WW2 and the great cutting down of railings everywhere, 'to provide metal for spitfires'. Scrap metal merchants collected them up, everyone let them have their railings for free. In fact the metal was unsuitable for any armaments and after the war scrap metal merchants everywhere, made a fortune selling the metal on as scrap.

Oh, so that's alright is it then, MOnica?

It's just the way things happen and we shouldn't let it bother us?

After all, it was only very large amounts of public money disappearing into private pockets...

GagaJo Fri 25-Nov-22 09:42:29

Urmstongran

Mea culpa.
I suppose it was a trade off as Boris was the only politician promising to enact Brexit. The Lib Dem’s Jo Swanson just wanted to revoke it and Labour wanted a re-run. A second ‘decisive’ referendum. Cheeky buggers.

Funny how it’s only democracy when you’re on the winning side.

Is what we have now democracy?

* Government members on national TV game shows.
* Conspicuously and in full view defrauding the tax payer and then advertising their the spoils of their thefts.
* 3 prime ministers.
* Brexit which is ruining the country.
* NHS nurse strikes.
* Train strikes.

It's not government. It's a car crash.

GagaJo Fri 25-Nov-22 09:48:25

Whitewavemark2

You know the corruption is so bad amongst the Tories, that when covid struck and people were suffering and dying, their first instinct appears to make money from it.

In a nutshell...

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-22 10:11:58

MaizieD I have reread my email and cannot find anywhere in it where i say that those making profit or loss from dsaster is 'alright'. Do not read things into my posts that are not there.

I merely stated that this always happens and as it happens I do not think it is 'alright'. In fact I wish more was done to stop it, but people always react as if this happening is unique after each event. instead links should be made and more done to stop it.

It has been known for a long time that Michelle Mone was among the pigs with their snouts in the trough.

Petera Fri 25-Nov-22 10:18:30

MaizieD

The PPE supplied as a result of Mone's intervention was not even used, it was unfit for purpose.y

Despite being bought at the start of the pandemic and delivered in 2020, the 25m gowns were never used by the NHS after government officials rejected them following an inspection.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/27/government-paid-firm-linked-to-tory-peer-122m-for-ppe-bought-for-46m

And, but I'm not sure if it includes Mone's, we're all still paying £1.7M/week just to store the useless PPE.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ppe-storage-costs-covid-uk-b2056305.html

maddyone Fri 25-Nov-22 12:22:33

Since the PPE is unsuitable for purpose I find it strange that it apparently wasn’t returned to the supplier as unfit and the charge refunded. If I bought an item eg a kettle, and it was unfit for purpose, meaning it didn’t work, I would return it pronto and claim back my purchase price. Why does this not apply to government purchases? How are suppliers allowed to supply substandard goods and take the money with no refund? These are the questions we should be asking.

Maizie I in no way agree with you. Sometimes I think some people would have felt happier if the whole government had been taken out and shot after the pandemic.