Gransnet forums

News & politics

Covid seems to have been profitable for some

(118 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 23-Nov-22 20:46:49

Surely there must be some way to get this money back? After all we're all paying for it now.
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/23/revealed-tory-peer-michelle-mone-secretly-received-29m-from-vip-lane-ppe-firm?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

MaizieD Mon 12-Dec-22 08:28:27

Whitewavemark2

This really says it all, and shows exactly what the corrupt, fraudulent Tories think of the taxpayer.

Look at the name if the boat

I thought the name was a photoshop job?

MaizieD Mon 12-Dec-22 08:27:25

Private Eye did a quite comprehensive report recently(not sure exactly when, it's undated). It covers all the covid spending sectors; PPE, covid tests, and Test & Trace. It's a long read but eye opening.

I think that it's especially worth reminding ourselves of these events now that Hancock has published his rather warped self serving version and the government appears to be reluctant to hold an enquiry into the handling of the pandemic.

www.private-eye.co.uk/pictures/special_reports/profits-of-doom.pdf

(This is a pdf of scanned pages from the magazine and might not be very easy to enlarge enough to read on a phone)

vegansrock Mon 12-Dec-22 06:32:28

That’s who’ve paid for the boat. Disgusting. She needs to be locked up along with her husband and children who also stole taxpayers money.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Dec-22 06:29:17

This really says it all, and shows exactly what the corrupt, fraudulent Tories think of the taxpayer.

Look at the name if the boat

Daisymae Sun 11-Dec-22 20:54:15

The PPE rich list www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d334e928-7883-11ed-b756-a5744446c41f?shareToken=e3608e6b8d044ffc642288dd8ee3b1c4

Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Dec-22 15:39:00

Can anyone confirm if it is true that Mone and husband have relocated to Honduras, which had no extradition agreement with the U.K.?

grannydarkhair Thu 08-Dec-22 13:59:16

“Michelle Mone explaining the recent events” 😂

fb.watch/hhFCb3obTF/

Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Dec-22 05:44:09

Sunak apparently suffering from delayed shock over Mone.

Something he has known about since 2020.

Grantanow Wed 07-Dec-22 15:56:38

It's disgraceful that Angela Rayner was not allowed to name the noble lady when speaking in the Commons, especially as she has been front page news in the UK.

Urmstongran Wed 07-Dec-22 07:25:52

* spex

Urmstongran Wed 07-Dec-22 07:25:28

Blossoming I’ve just enlarged that photo of the article on Mone. I needed my magnifying glass as well as my sped but thank you for posting it as it was a worthwhile read. What a grasping, duplicitous woman! I think I always just thought ‘oh she’s really beautiful, feisty and rich from her great business acumen’. No longer. Her and ‘Doug’ ought to be put in prison what a pair of charlatans, sharing £200 million between them - her slice going into an off shore account. Jeez.

vegansrock Wed 07-Dec-22 07:09:05

The best lawyers are going to have a job proving she didn’t sign a contract she clearly did. Good ammunition for abolition of the house of Lords methinks.

Urmstongran Wed 07-Dec-22 07:02:07

Why store useless stuff? They ought to burn it.
Must be a reason why not.
I see Baroness Bra has stepped down from the Lords temporarily while ‘she clears her name’. She can of course afford the very best lawyers.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Dec-22 06:52:12

We are paying £700000 a day to store this useless PPE.

This has been the worst period of government - ever.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Dec-22 06:07:23

Plenty of embezzled money for the Tories - nothing for the backbone of the country who are the workers that keep it all going.

Every year since they took office they have kept the lid down on raising the living standards of hard working people. It has become like a pressure cooker and if they don’t manage it properly the lid is going to blow into a general strike.

I don’t have any confidence that this government is capable of managing anything except it’s own interests.

grannydarkhair Wed 07-Dec-22 03:24:11

Another tale of “cronyism” - this time it’s Michael Gove who’s involved.

twitter.com/writesbright/status/1600218809540890624?s=61&t=T7-scTC1slXWW14-6QmmXg

growstuff Tue 06-Dec-22 21:16:35

This is turning into a major scandal. I wonder how many people are involved. It looks as though there's a lot of back covering at the moment.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/06/revealed-second-firm-pushed-by-michelle-mone-was-secret-entity-of-husbands-office

growstuff Tue 06-Dec-22 19:52:03

And if it's proved that MPs are involved in any fraud, I hope they go down too.

growstuff Tue 06-Dec-22 19:51:15

Quite honestly, the amount of money involved probably doesn't matter that much to Michelle Mone. Her husband is a billionaire and I'm sure they won't be poor (although, of course, the money could buy an awful lot of school meals or do some good).

The point is that this woman has an important constitutional role and all the power and networks which go with that. Hopefully, the investigation will be transparent. If there is actual fraud, she needs to be prosecuted. If the investigation shows any other kind of "dodgy" dealings (even if not quite illegal), people will know what they're dealing with. It would be a first step towards restoring some kind of trust in the people who are governing us.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Dec-22 18:30:13

Yes.

This weeks hate.

Next week it will probably be migrants again.

varian Tue 06-Dec-22 18:21:00

HousePlantQueen

And still there are people who would vote for this corrupt government if we had an election tomorrow. If people fussed less about things that don't matter, like H&M, and more about things that do such as the blatant in your face thievery and corruption, then this country would at least have a chance of being a better place for the majority of us, not just for the few.

Why do we think that the Daily Mail, Daily Express and The Sun keep splashing their front pages with H & M?

The proprietors of the right wing press are past masters at distraction tactics.

HousePlantQueen Tue 06-Dec-22 18:10:48

Whitewavemark2

👀

Tory MPs have been told that the government will not try to vote down Labour's humble address on PPE contracts linked to Michelle Mone

Means that the motion - which is trying to force the publication of texts and emails - will pass unopposed

Good. I look forward to seeing details in the popular press. If only MM had been involved in dodgy PPE contracts, perhaps this corruption would have been revealed and discussed sooner.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:40:57

👀

Tory MPs have been told that the government will not try to vote down Labour's humble address on PPE contracts linked to Michelle Mone

Means that the motion - which is trying to force the publication of texts and emails - will pass unopposed

growstuff Tue 06-Dec-22 16:52:07

I couldn't agree more HPQ.

HousePlantQueen Tue 06-Dec-22 15:57:27

And still there are people who would vote for this corrupt government if we had an election tomorrow. If people fussed less about things that don't matter, like H&M, and more about things that do such as the blatant in your face thievery and corruption, then this country would at least have a chance of being a better place for the majority of us, not just for the few.