Gransnet forums

News & politics

Buckingham Palace Aide resigns

(1001 Posts)
Parsley3 Wed 30-Nov-22 14:12:28

BBC News - Buckingham Palace aide resigns over remarks to black charity boss
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

Well at least the Palace took this incident seriously and didn't fob off Ms Fulani's complaint.

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 15:29:52

Glorianny

But it is Prince William's godmother so perhaps indicative of what is considered acceptable by the RF inner circle.

Lateral thinking and making 2+2 make 7, Glorianny!!

Mamie Wed 30-Nov-22 15:32:32

It is such a shame that it will overshadow a high profile event about violence against women.

Lexisgranny Wed 30-Nov-22 15:36:11

If what is being reported is true it is totally unacceptable. Lady Susan Hussey is the wife of Sir Marmaduke ”Duke” Hussey, a former chairman of BBCBoard of Governors.

Very unfortunate that this should happen just as the Prince and Princess of Wales leave for the USA. She will be 83 this year so I can’t see why it was deemed necessary to “ keep her on” after the Queen died even if it is a sinecure office.

growstuff Wed 30-Nov-22 15:43:14

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU_htgjlMVE

merlotgran Wed 30-Nov-22 15:53:30

www.google.co.uk/search?q=lady+susan+hussey&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Vintagenonna Wed 30-Nov-22 16:03:18

Ngosi Fulani regretted that Susan Hussey had resigned.

Farzanah Wed 30-Nov-22 16:04:11

I just loved that growstuff 🤣

LondonMzFitz Wed 30-Nov-22 16:05:07

loopyloo

What a shame Ms Fulani didn't stand tall and say "my great grandfather was taken from whichever African country as a slave to Jamaica by one of your forefathers. Out of which they made a lot of money.
However I was born in the UK and now live in Hackney and support women."
Why should she be made to feel ashamed of her background?

And on the same tack, why should she be made to explain her background?

Ms Fulani had posted this on Twitter "10 mins after arriving, a member of staff, Lady SH, approached me, moved my hair to see my name badge. The conversation below took place. The rest of the event is a blur". The full conversation is shocking.

And Lady Susan gets to resign rather than being fired. Five times she asked where Ms Fulani was from. Once time she asked what her nationality was. And asked when did she come to this country. Despite being told that by Ms Fulani she was born here. I don't think you can excuse such rudeness with "oh she's old", etc.

Desdemona Wed 30-Nov-22 16:08:10

What was said to Ms Fulani was very regrettable. I think I would have complained to the necessary people at the Palace initially though instead of going straight to Twitter.

Blossoming Wed 30-Nov-22 16:09:50

This behaviour from a palace aide isn’t unusual. I’m glad it’s now being flagged up and challenged.

Blossoming Wed 30-Nov-22 16:13:52

Glorianny yes!

Parsley3 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:17:10

Desdemona

What was said to Ms Fulani was very regrettable. I think I would have complained to the necessary people at the Palace initially though instead of going straight to Twitter.

So you criticise Ngosi for doing what you consider to be the wrong thing. Would it have happened to you?

Desdemona Wed 30-Nov-22 16:20:21

What happened to her was horrible and needed to be dealt with, but social media can sometimes make things worse and turn events into a horrible circus, not to mention putting a dampener on what yesterdays event was actually for, violence against women.

Im sure if she had spoken to somebody at the Palace they would have taken action.

Riverwalk Wed 30-Nov-22 16:23:24

It's not necesssarily racist to enquire about someone's background but it's totally unacceptable to persist until the other person feels uncomfortable, then I think it's racist - no doubt Ms Fulani has had a lifetime of such enquiries.

Despite proclaimed attempts to modernise Royalty I suspect this sort of behaviour is not uncommon.

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:27:39

Five times she asked where Ms Fulani was from. Once time she asked what her nationality was. And asked when did she come to this country. Despite being told that by Ms Fulani she was born here

Asking the same question five times rings warning bells to me as does not understanding when a question has been answered.

I don't think you can excuse such rudeness with "oh she's old", etc
No, but has she got the beginnings of dementia?

If so, someone should have realised and not wheeled her out to meet and greet people.

They'll be kicking themselves that she wasn't completely retired earlier
I agree.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:30:23

It has always been part of the court culture.

Why does anyone wonder why DoS found it so difficult?

imaround Wed 30-Nov-22 16:38:12

Glorianny

Hang on didn't someone else say there was racism in the palace and wasn't she condemned by loads of people on GN ?
So it seems it is true! Well who would have imagined that??

Why yes, someone did! And English people everywhere screamed that they are not racist!

I wonder if Lady SH was one of the team of experienced people who was assigned to M to help her learn to fit in.

This a day after the Met confirms the threats against M were real and disturbing.

Aveline Wed 30-Nov-22 16:39:57

I've sometimes struggled to hear people's names when in crowded parties or receptions. There comes a time when I've had to say, 'I'm sorry I didn't catch that,' several times.
She's an old lady, give her some leeway. She has resigned in ignominy and embarrassment after long and valued service to her friend the late Queen. Very sad.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Nov-22 16:40:40

She started I believe by moving Ms Fulani s hair (maybe to see a name badge) you cannot blame old age or dementia she wouldn’t have just been given a ‘job’ if that was the case
She asked five times because she wasn’t given the answer she was seeking Callistermon not dementia she was badgering for her to say Africa or India or WI s …. England didn’t satisfy her racist minds hunger
I am sure 100% that Meghan Merkal probably had very valid points in what she said and Fanny these are all part of the same so of course can and should be linked

Luckygirl3 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:41:45

Having read the conversation it would seem she is just a silly privileged old bat and no loss to the organisation. Being 83 does not excuse her ignorance. Many on this forum are that age and would not dream of asking such questions in such a way. I am glad that Prince W had no truck with it - poor chap didn't choose his godparents.

Aveline Wed 30-Nov-22 16:43:07

I have met plenty of such old ladies. Her behaviour comes as no surprise to me.

Summerlove Wed 30-Nov-22 16:43:29

Desdemona

Why? As a representative of the palace - and one who had been for quite a number of years - Id assume the palace knew who she was and condoned it.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 30-Nov-22 16:47:25

It's something a lot of non-white people have experienced.

"Where are you from?"

"London"

"No, where are you really from?"

"I'm really from Shepherds Bush^

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 16:51:50

Leaving the race issue aside, Ms Hussey comes across as a nasty piece of baggage.
Why did she keep on and on?
She obviously wanted to put Ms Fulani ‘in her place’.
My late grandmothers would never have dreamt have talking to another woman like that.
To forgive it because of her age is unacceptable.
Perhaps race and age are not the issues - maybe it’s a class thing.

Zoejory Wed 30-Nov-22 16:52:33

She's 83 and obviously hasn't realised that one does not make comments like that. About 30 years ago I was at a policeman's ball type thing and one man kept demanding to be told where a black woman was from. She dealt with it well.

It's plain ignorant and she really should have known better.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion