Gransnet forums

News & politics

And now Sajid Javid steps now as an MP.

(31 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 02-Dec-22 11:21:44

Goodness, they’re all throwing in the towel aren’t they?

Witzend Sat 03-Dec-22 10:11:39

David Miliband standing? IMO he’d be a much better bet than Keir Starmer. If it had been him instead of Ed, I’m convinced we’d never have had Cameron, Brexit, or the whole subsequent shitshow.

ronib Sat 03-Dec-22 10:01:33

Latest figures suggest 4 per cent of mps not standing. 26 out of 650

Grannybags Sat 03-Dec-22 09:45:29

My Tory MP will not be seeking re-election following boundary changes in which his seat disappears

ronib Sat 03-Dec-22 07:06:21

The Independent reported that all mps have been given until 5 December to say if they wish to stand down.
So disregarding the spin, not so many rats deserting the sinking ship after all given total numbers involved?

nanna8 Sat 03-Dec-22 05:49:36

Corrections get deleted? Ah well

growstuff Sat 03-Dec-22 05:38:49

Sajid Javid has a relatively safe seat, but he had a well-paid, high-powered job before he became an MP. I don't suppose he fancies the idea of becoming an opposition, bank bench MP.

growstuff Sat 03-Dec-22 05:34:14

I believe the Conservative Party has given MPs a deadline to declare their intention to stand again, so they can plan for new candidates.

ronib Sat 03-Dec-22 05:24:49

About two years to go until the next election, so why the need to declare anticipated resignation now?
To borrow a phrase, we are drowning in fake news this week. So far, the new PM seems incredibly quiet after the last one, maybe even serious so let’s hope for some small improvement in time. Sajid Javid did say it had been the greatest privilege to serve etc. so perhaps he feels sidelined?

Casdon Fri 02-Dec-22 22:57:04

HousePlantQueen

I am gutted that we will miss out on the "Portillo" moment as we see them lose their seats. Champagne will be ready in this house to toast Rees Mogg on his way as one example. I sincerely hope to be absolutely plastered by the early hours of post election day wine

Look on the bright side - you will probably get to see Boris Johnson lose his seat. Now I’ve heard David Miliband may stand again, I hope he stands against him.

nanna8 Fri 02-Dec-22 22:33:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

nanna8 Fri 02-Dec-22 22:33:02

I sometimes wonder if Rees Mong is for real or is he tongue in cheek just acting the part of an upper class twat? I have a sneaking suspicion it is the latter. No one could be that awful. Could they ?He might be laughing at us all.

HousePlantQueen Fri 02-Dec-22 22:14:49

I am gutted that we will miss out on the "Portillo" moment as we see them lose their seats. Champagne will be ready in this house to toast Rees Mogg on his way as one example. I sincerely hope to be absolutely plastered by the early hours of post election day wine

BlueBelle Fri 02-Dec-22 19:00:13

Oh Zoe what a wonderful thought

growstuff Fri 02-Dec-22 18:48:37

seadragon

growstuff

I disagree 100% with Javid's politics, but as a person I do have some respect for him. In a league table of Conservative politicians, he does at least (in my eyes at least) score a few bonus points. Being semi-sensible is a start.

...... resigning rather than complying with BJ's order to sack his team...!

Exactly! Not only that, but he genuinely fought personal racism and had a humble background to become a government minister.

Zoejory Fri 02-Dec-22 17:07:21

The way things are going the Conservatives might disappear forever

seadragon Fri 02-Dec-22 17:03:23

growstuff

I disagree 100% with Javid's politics, but as a person I do have some respect for him. In a league table of Conservative politicians, he does at least (in my eyes at least) score a few bonus points. Being semi-sensible is a start.

...... resigning rather than complying with BJ's order to sack his team...!

growstuff Fri 02-Dec-22 16:51:56

NotTooOld Fri 02-Dec-22 16:41:14

I read there are 12 Tories stepping down so far. Can't blame them really.

Casdon Fri 02-Dec-22 13:28:04

There are indeed sadly some older Labour MPs going who will be sadly missed. I rate Wayne David, who is the Caerphilly MP very highly, also Margaret Beckett and Margaret Hodge.

Turnover as people retire is expected, the difference is that a number of the Tory MPs who are going are the rising stars rather than the long serving stalwarts.

eazybee Fri 02-Dec-22 13:26:39

Certainly Sajid Javid contributed to the sinking.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 02-Dec-22 12:28:33

henetha

Eleven Labour MP's also stepping down at next election.

Most of them are over 70!

henetha Fri 02-Dec-22 12:20:57

Eleven Labour MP's also stepping down at next election.

Joane123 Fri 02-Dec-22 12:05:33

Really, oh goodness, didn't know that.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 02-Dec-22 11:57:55

As with Espee, my first thoughts were of sinking ships and rats! To be honest, it serves them all right.

Esspee Fri 02-Dec-22 11:52:05

Rats leaving the sinking ship?