Gransnet forums

News & politics

King Charles shocking and disloyal book exposing royal secrets and attacking his family

(277 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 07-Jan-23 10:13:28

AKA, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It’s a story that, for 38 years, people have not been able to get enough of. But the release of SPARE, despite its promise of “raw, unflinching honesty,” has also been met by huge criticism from the same people rushing to click on or write stories about him.

The dramatic pearl clutching would have you believe that this is, to borrow a cliche from the royal reporting dictionary, an unprecedented moment for the House of Windsor. One of the Royal Family’s very own breaking their (questionable) “never complain, never explain” mantra to share private stories that supposedly should have been taken to the grave.

But short-term memory loss will do that to you, because Harry is far from the first senior royal to open up like this. In fact, he only needed to look at the actions of his own father (and mother) for a set example.

Many forget that our current Head of State did exactly the same.

As a man who felt so misunderstood during the breakdown of his marriage and his journey to the throne, Charles turned to BBC journalist Jonathan Dimbleby in 1994 to write a once-in-a-lifetime biography on his life so he could be better understood. Sound familiar?

Just like Harry’s ghostwriter J.R Moehringer, the then Prince of Wales spent countless hours sitting down for interviews with Dimbleby, as well as providing access to his friends and aides, and opening up his private archives of 10,000 private letters, journals and diaries.

The result was a tome that offered a deeply intimate look at Charles like never before. The story of an heir's emotionally repressed childhood, his “detached” and often absent mother who was too “preoccupied” with her career to show warmth, and a capricious, judgmental father who just wanted his son to grow up to be a thicker-skinned, aggressive leader.

Writing about both books, a New York Times critic said at the time that each biography painted pictures of “hapless victims — victims, for all their wealth and glamour, of emotionally deprived childhoods, a voracious press, unfortunate circumstances and duplicitous friends”.

For Charles, the negative response from the British press and public was intense. Accused of ferociously attacking his family and disgracing the monarchy, newspaper polls and opinion pieces declared him unfit to be king and some journalists even suggested he should be stripped of his titles. (Sounds familiar again?).

But there have been no regrets about sharing his story, sources have told me in more recent years. If he didn’t do it then, he would have had to forever deal with the fact that only tabloids, newspapers and unauthorised biographers told his story in their words.

uk.news.yahoo.com/harry-book-stop-pretending-shock-following-charles-footsteps-omid-scobie-115905887.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAD6vgibNPVCxJLtCVixLM2a2XhHQvkS0V_gy4VZol9d-s4ELdm6YLBNHUI4VWh_QUepyBufgLYtl6ikcJiyw7LglwbBLqhJWbAqktjoEdprq5PMx87fqJZor3RnEHP1slXIbCgWe6qXaMXCcaJ68gTpZUhcn4r4CI6KxKWf2ZGgC

(sorry, couldn't shorten url for some reason)

Aveline Sat 07-Jan-23 10:15:01

Yawn

volver Sat 07-Jan-23 10:19:04

Yawn, GagaJo. We're only interested in things that reinforce the idea that Charles is a living god and Harry is the devil incarnate.

😜

Aveline Sat 07-Jan-23 10:24:43

Yawn at yet another thread on this topic.

GagaJo Sat 07-Jan-23 10:28:55

volver

Yawn, GagaJo. We're only interested in things that reinforce the idea that Charles is a living god and Harry is the devil incarnate.

😜

I know, but most of us are old. Do we not remember the chaos and scandal caused by the old bloke? Talk about selective dementia.

AGAA4 Sat 07-Jan-23 10:39:08

This is about Charles. I remember him telling his own 'truth'. Not head of state material imo.

Glorianny Sat 07-Jan-23 10:40:42

Thanks Gagajo I was beginning to wonder if I had imagined the time when Charles was a Bad Royal who let the family down, who shouldn't be allowed to inherit but should stand down and allow William to be crowned.
Really they are just a totally dysfunctional family and we should get rid of them.
But I don't expect many posts on this thread so many people have exhausted themselves venting their spleen on Harry.

Parsley3 Sat 07-Jan-23 10:45:27

Thank you for this GagaJo. For the first time since I joined GN I have had to hide threads to avoid the vitriol heaped on the Sussexes. I had forgotten that Charles wanted to tell his story in his own words as did Diana. The great British public are greedy for royal gossip but for some reason don't like any royal personages to speak up for themselves. How many of us would want to be shackled by the never explain, never complain mantra? It is time we set these poor caged souls free to live a normal existence.

Kate1949 Sat 07-Jan-23 10:47:48

I don't think Charles is a living god. I don't think he comes across as a nice man at all.

nanna8 Sat 07-Jan-23 10:50:12

They are all pretty nasty in my book, some worse than others. I’m getting bored with them now, though and it’s time the media moved on.

tickingbird Sat 07-Jan-23 10:50:37

Omid Scobie? 😂😂😂

halfpint1 Sat 07-Jan-23 11:09:53

That's rude , it's yawning in someone's face, you don't have to read these threads or be rude

eazybee Sat 07-Jan-23 12:21:38

The stories that emerge on the estrangement threads reveal some pretty unpleasant families, but they are at least anonymous.

volver Sat 07-Jan-23 12:27:09

And at least they aren't Head of State with privileges that the rest of us can't have.

Zoejory Sat 07-Jan-23 12:28:46

I don't really remember much about Charles. Didn't read his book or see the interview. Difference today and it's a huge difference, is social media . Everything is magnified and commented on. Tiktok is awash. Twitter etc etc

Callistemon21 Sat 07-Jan-23 12:31:35

Someone gave me a book about Charles and Diana years ago, glowing references and lovely photos of their life together with their two boys.

I must look for it 🙂

Lucca Sat 07-Jan-23 12:38:44

halfpint1

That's rude , it's yawning in someone's face, you don't have to read these threads or be rude

True. We have so many threads mostly on h and m and one comes up that doesn’t fit the trend and we get one word, yawn. Very GN

Lucca Sat 07-Jan-23 12:39:24

And in fact it’s interesting as I’d forgotten about this aspect.

icanhandthemback Sat 07-Jan-23 12:41:33

I have always been more for the Monarchy than against it but I think the system is almost designed to be dysfunctional. The bringing up of one child to be top dog and the younger ones to stand in line in order of ascendence until they are knocked out by subsequent births is at best distasteful and at worst, cruel. Sending young children away to Boarding School has its own problems (Google Boarding School Survivor Syndrome to learn more) and having very busy parents with "Nanny" to fill the gap cannot be the perfect way to bring up a well balanced child. Add in being in a fish bowl where you cannot refute what is said by the press it must be pretty toxic growing up in it despite the trappings of wealth. Harry and William have also had their parents' shenanigans to cope with so that will have been destructive too.
It's no secret that I can't stand Charles or Camilla but I do have empathy for Charles where his upbringing was concerned. I don't necessarily think that The Queen and Prince Philip were deliberately aloof or unkind but were also a product of their early years.
I also think that a lot of people look at their parenting and could criticise it in the light of the research which has taken place over the years. I think that when you are younger and in the early flush of baby rearing, you are the most likely to speak out about it because you think you are the ones who will break the cycle and you become so virtuous in your own mind. 10 years later you realise it isn't as easy as you thought it was going to be, 10 years later, your kids are making their own critique where you don't necessarily make the grade in their eyes!

Anniebach Sat 07-Jan-23 12:42:13

In the interview he said his affair with Camilla began when his marriage had broken down yet he isn’t believed

Wonder why Sarah Spencer who had a relationship with Charles didn’t know he was with Camilla, she didn’t tell her sister yet the press has said it was fact

Blossoming Sat 07-Jan-23 12:53:26

Thank you Gagajo for reminding people that Charles is far from perfect.

OnwardandUpward Sat 07-Jan-23 13:05:13

I don't think anyone thinks of KC as perfect. At least I don't.
We are all aware that parents make mistakes as we all do. There are plenty of things Charles has done wrong, but I think we have been faced with those for years and as the Harry book is new, it's only natural to comment on it.

There will never be anyone like the Queen, that's for sure.

Zoejory Sat 07-Jan-23 13:08:34

I never thought Charles was perfect! Or anywhere near perfect. Who does?

tickingbird Sat 07-Jan-23 13:11:08

Lucca

True. We have so many threads mostly on h and m and one comes up that doesn’t fit the trend and we get one word, yawn. Very GN

I haven’t seen that post. Posters making things up again, yes. Now that is very GN.

volver Sat 07-Jan-23 13:13:52

Posters deciding people are making things up because they don't like the other poster. Posters not reading a thread then commenting as though they are the oracle of the ages.

How very GN.