Gransnet forums

News & politics

Improvements in the U.K. since 2010

(43 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Jan-23 18:14:45

Are there any?

I can’t think of any.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 09:20:05

Much of what is listed has nothing to do with the effort of the government, and where it has it is because they have been pushed into doing something rather than leading the way.

Galaxy Fri 20-Jan-23 09:36:08

You did ask thoughsmile.

Grantanow Fri 20-Jan-23 09:44:54

Here is the graph Fiona Bruce showed on QT last night about NHS funding. Gives the lie to Tory claims about their health spending and shows the NHS crisis was made by the Tories' underfunding. See twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1616167645450993669?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1616167645450993669%7Ctwgr%5E1b87a324de31db4362ebdbbe5ac6c8956edd4b08%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2Fentry%2Fbbc-question-time-health-spending-graph_uk_63c9cf22e4b0c2b49ad437a3

The only improvement so far is the resignations of Johnson and Truss.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 09:50:01

Galaxy

You did ask thoughsmile.

😄 true

MaizieD Fri 20-Jan-23 09:50:18

Amazed that Fiona Bruce would be showing that chart, but I suppose that stranger things have happened.
Like the recent Telegraph article saying that Brexit has failed!

MaizieD Fri 20-Jan-23 09:52:54

P.S The apparent huge increase in spending shown for 2020 is, of course, the covid money, take that out for a true picture.

ronib Fri 20-Jan-23 14:00:43

There’s a continuous upswing in the number of university students in higher education in England 😊

ronib Fri 20-Jan-23 14:03:59

I have not looked up whether increase in England correlates to the way Scotland approaches higher education!

lixy Fri 20-Jan-23 20:05:32

Whitewavemark2

Much of what is listed has nothing to do with the effort of the government, and where it has it is because they have been pushed into doing something rather than leading the way.

The original question didn't have any party political slant - I took it as just a 'news' item about improvements in general.

MaizieD Fri 20-Jan-23 20:12:21

lixy

Whitewavemark2

The original question didn't have any party political slant - I took it as just a 'news' item about improvements in general.

I think most of us took it that way, lixy, but the fact that 'improvements' haven't been much to do with the party in government is very telling.

ronib Fri 20-Jan-23 20:39:56

Whitewavemark2 are you sure that a steady growth in higher education places in England doesn’t have much to do with the government? You only have to look at the Scottish system of higher education to see that government policy can have an adverse impact on equality of opportunity.

Oreo Fri 20-Jan-23 23:02:57

There’s quite a list of good things that occurred, a few of which I’d forgotten about.
Room for some improvement of course as always.

Grantanow Sat 21-Jan-23 00:09:47

I don't think improvements' in the lives of the public can be separated from politics because they often involve choices made by governments according to their political beliefs. People sometimes say education policy should be a politics-free zone but education provision involves public expenditure (and therefore there are issues of priority which involve political choices) and political parties may be concerned as to what is taught in so far as it impinges of the validity of their political ideologies (e.g., history of colonialism, sex education, immigration history, etc.).

Galaxy Sat 21-Jan-23 07:58:49

There is no point pretending that some of these things werent the responsibility of the government. I see the same behaviour from some in the labour party when Blairs achievements are listed, it's just silly. It's perfectly possible to not support the Tory party and say same sex marriage legislation was a good thing.

henetha Sat 21-Jan-23 10:20:17

It's good to see a more positive thread about the UK for once.
We do seem to endlessly criticise everything, too much.

MaizieD Sat 21-Jan-23 10:33:18

ronib

Whitewavemark2 are you sure that a steady growth in higher education places in England doesn’t have much to do with the government? You only have to look at the Scottish system of higher education to see that government policy can have an adverse impact on equality of opportunity.

It certainly does have to do with government in that the universities are short of cash because of cuts to funding and have to attract as many students as they possibly can in order to maintain their incomes.

Grantanow Sun 22-Jan-23 11:10:31

The Telegraph article questioning the value of Brexit is a sign that even the Tory rank and file are beginning to see through the Brexit lies. What happened to the Brexit bus money for the NHS?