Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another day, another Tory scandal....

(47 Posts)
CvD66 Fri 20-Jan-23 13:15:35

First this week we've had Nadhim Zahawi's sudden tax payments, probably including a penalty payment, then Sunak riding in a car without a seatbelt, with a police officer looking on. Yesterday (30p) Lee Anderson decided to present a member of his staff as evidence anyone on low pay should not need foodbanks (exposing her to considerable abuse due to her privileged background) Of course as a person claiming £233k pa expenses on top of his £80k salary, he really understands the challenge of food bank economy. Next week, what new scandals await us?

MaizieD Fri 20-Jan-23 14:15:37

Yesterday (30p) Lee Anderson decided to present a member of his staff as evidence anyone on low pay should not need foodbanks

She wasn't exactly on low pay, either. IIRC he said she was earning £34.000 pa. Tis is, I believe, somewhere in the region of median pay (i.e in the middle of the pay range) but it isn't 'low pay'.

Oreo Fri 20-Jan-23 14:19:04

Much as I’m up for a tory bash 😄these are not scandals.
More like lack of judgements.

Sallymander Fri 20-Jan-23 14:30:12

This continuous drip of low level incompetence, nastiness, lack of judgement, seeps into the publics consciousness, leaving a cumulative impression that they really are a Party of mediocre scoundrels.

ExperiencedNotOld Fri 20-Jan-23 15:06:50

I’m assuming that quote applies across the political spectrum! There’s no one obviously good person amongst them in my book!

Happygirl79 Fri 20-Jan-23 16:10:26

I find the continuous apparent lack of self-awareness amazing in these so-called educated people . No common sense at all. Not really aware of the state of this country and the poverty so many people are suffering.

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 17:32:47

I don't think Lee Anderson is "educated". That's part of the appeal to his followers.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 17:47:21

Oreo

Much as I’m up for a tory bash 😄these are not scandals.
More like lack of judgements.

Lack of judgement😄😄😄😄 in Zahawi’s case £3million worth with a 30% penalty.

That was a MASSIVE lack of judgement.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:10:48

Another scandal

Peter Stefanovic

The Russia Report is about to explode on Rishi Sunak’s Government

Probably the most shocking report you will watch this week

MaizieD Fri 20-Jan-23 18:16:38

Whitewavemark2

Another scandal

Peter Stefanovic

The Russia Report is about to explode on Rishi Sunak’s Government

Probably the most shocking report you will watch this week

If this is the referral to the ECHR about Russian interference in UK politics I think it deserves a thread all of its own grin

JaneJudge Fri 20-Jan-23 18:18:19

MaizieD

^Yesterday (30p) Lee Anderson decided to present a member of his staff as evidence anyone on low pay should not need foodbanks^

She wasn't exactly on low pay, either. IIRC he said she was earning £34.000 pa. Tis is, I believe, somewhere in the region of median pay (i.e in the middle of the pay range) but it isn't 'low pay'.

he's based the whole of foodbank use on his one member of staff who earns a median wage? is it one of his relatives? what an shallow individual

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:19:02

Yes, it is about the refusal of the British government to investigate the interference.

Speaks volumes

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:23:51

Just read that people have been questioning the Zahawi scandal for 9 years.

It would seem that what has come out to date is only tip of the iceberg.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:26:59

Sunak received a fixed penalty.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:31:46

Whitewavemark2

As he should

varian Fri 20-Jan-23 18:50:31

The Russia Report was suppressed by Boris Johnson

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1v5cZzi0E4

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 18:51:44

JaneJudge

MaizieD

Yesterday (30p) Lee Anderson decided to present a member of his staff as evidence anyone on low pay should not need foodbanks

he's based the whole of foodbank use on his one member of staff who earns a median wage? is it one of his relatives? --what an shallow individual--

No, she's the daughter of a brigadier and went to a private school (presumably funded by the army). In his Tweet, Anderson implied that she was on low pay, could afford to live in Central London and had enough money for a good lifestyle. He was comparing her with nurses who claim to use foodbanks.

She didn't do anything wrong, but Anderson gave personal details about her and a photo, which enabled her to be identified and loads of details about her private life are all over social media. She's had to delete her Twitter account. Her background means that it's unlikely that her life can be compared with most people on low pay (and it appears she's not low paid anyway).

It's Anderson's integrity and honesty which are in question, quite apart from the dubious legality of publishing her personal details online. It's not clear if she gave permission.

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 18:53:32

Whitewavemark2

Can't he just do the seatbelt awareness course (or whatever it's called) and avoid the penalty and points?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:57:13

varian

The Russia Report was suppressed by Boris Johnson

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1v5cZzi0E4

Oh the Johnson that had a clandestine meeting with a KGB officer in Italy I assume you mean.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:58:21

growstuff

Whitewavemark2

Can't he just do the seatbelt awareness course (or whatever it's called) and avoid the penalty and points?

Well he’s got form. Subject of police investigation last year I think.

Zoejory Fri 20-Jan-23 19:02:46

I'm just amazed the silly fool didn't think having a seat belt on might have been a good idea .

varian Fri 20-Jan-23 19:04:06

That may have been the case WW2 but it is absolutely undeniable that Johnson's government refused to look for evidence that Russia had interfered in our so-called democracy, particularly in the fraudulent referendum of 2016.

For instance did they ever enquire about the targeted facebook messages, the incessant pro-leave propaganda originating in Russia or the thousands of posts online on the day before the vote?

NO. If you do not ask the question you are not deemed to be lying when you claim not to know the answer.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Jan-23 19:08:12

Which bit of my post are you answering? Only I absolutely agree with you?

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 19:10:52

Zoejory

I'm just amazed the silly fool didn't think having a seat belt on might have been a good idea .

It doesn't say much about his judgment, does it?

varian Fri 20-Jan-23 19:42:23

This is the bit of your post I referred to WW2

"Oh the Johnson that had a clandestine meeting with a KGB officer in Italy I assume you mean."