Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone believe Nadhim Zahawi?

(297 Posts)
foxie48 Sun 22-Jan-23 13:55:01

I genuinely like to give people the benefit of the doubt if I don't know all the facts but really, does anyone believe NZ made a "careless mistake" with his tax arrangements? If he has paid the reported £4.3m (including a 30% fine) that means he underpaid by over £3m. How can this be a careless mistake? He may have a degree in chemical engineering, so he's fairly numerate but surely he'd have had accountants advising him? The whole things reeks of tax avoidance if it isn't then he should make his returns available to an independent committee or resign. I see BJ is back in the news, I'm still waiting to find out why he travelled to Italy in 2018 to meet the KGB agent Lebedev without his minders when he was Foreign Secretary.

foxie48 Sun 29-Jan-23 18:07:10

Fleurpepper

The big story emerging now is possible insider trading with Sunak and Moderna!?! watch this space.

Actually I thought it was normal and correct practice for MPs to put shares into a blind trust. My understanding is that it means they don't know where their investments are and therefore can't be accused of insider trading. If anyone knows more than this, please let us know, I'm not an accountant.

varian Sun 29-Jan-23 18:25:25

The question is what did Sunak know about these investments before they were out into a blind trust.

MerylStreep Sun 29-Jan-23 19:37:48

Dan Neidle speaking on Broadcasting House this morning says he has a Labour MP in his sights on the same charges as Zahawi

ronib Sun 29-Jan-23 19:40:58

MerylStreep

Dan Neidle speaking on Broadcasting House this morning says he has a Labour MP in his sights on the same charges as Zahawi

Well I wish Dan Neidle could raise his game and fix the missing £42 billion that Inland Revenue failed to recoup last year.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Jan-23 19:46:05

MerylStreep

We do need someone like this.

choughdancer Sun 29-Jan-23 19:46:19

Boris Johnson needs to have his arse dragged into court, that's the way forward! |Followed by all those corrupt minsters and their buddies who made millions from covid19 and dodgy PPE contracts. It is eye watering. Johnson is responsible for this whole sorry situation; he is the reason for the catastrophic crop in acceptable standards in public office, the man lies as easily as he breathes. It is because of him that people like Zahawi thought they were untouchable.

I completely agree with this.

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 19:49:02

ronib

MerylStreep

Well I wish Dan Neidle could raise his game and fix the missing £42 billion that Inland Revenue failed to recoup last year.

£42 billion!

How many doctors and nurses is that?

ronib Sun 29-Jan-23 19:54:52

Well when asked my local Conservative mp said oh it’s 5 per cent of the total tax bill collected of £732 billion or something like so that is okay. Apparently every year tax always has a deficit like this.

All I know is that we need to pick our battles.

Casdon Sun 29-Jan-23 19:55:01

Whitewavemark2

MerylStreep

We do need someone like this.

That’s good - it would be even better if he could find every MP who is doing the same.

ronib Sun 29-Jan-23 20:02:17

Dan Neidle seems to be an example of a gamekeeper turned poacher but hey do I care?

Katie59 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:07:29

Sacked and quite rightly, he will leave politics now so Stratford is going to be rid of him, his credibility is gone 7 breaches of the ministerial code.
Everyone else will be under scrutiny now including Sunak.

Wyllow3 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:12:45

Question remains - why did Sunak allow this to go on for so very long.

Because with the spotlight on corruption in public office at the moment, why on earth did he appoint someone without due care?

There is no way he couldn't have known there were serious ???

MayBee70 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:23:38

He’s a very charming man: well liked by his colleagues ( this is from TRIP’s again). But then, so was Kwarteng. At a lesser level, what annoys me is how he goes on about coming to this country unable to speak the language etc etc but his family were very well to do: his grandfather was big in banking in Iraq. He’s not your typical refugee. What also annoys me is he tried to sue the journalist that exposed him. Then again, he was mentored by Jeffrey Archer….hmm…says it all, really…

M0nica Mon 30-Jan-23 08:56:07

On the otherhand, it was reported in the papers last week that the top 100 taxpayers in the country pay over £5 billion in income tax alone and the top 10 paid over £2 million www.news.co.uk/latest-news/the-sunday-times-tax-list-reveals-uks-100-biggest-taxpayers/

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-23 12:36:21

M0nica

On the otherhand, it was reported in the papers last week that the top 100 taxpayers in the country pay over £5 billion in income tax alone and the top 10 paid over £2 million www.news.co.uk/latest-news/the-sunday-times-tax-list-reveals-uks-100-biggest-taxpayers/

And?

The top taxpayers in the country 'earn' the top amount of money in the country. Why shouldn't it be taxed just like everyone else's is?

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 12:41:27

M0nica

Fair enough! Surely that is the way it should be.

Katie59 Mon 30-Jan-23 13:02:05

There are plenty of legal tax concessions allowed that we all take advantage of without getting involved in aggressive tax avoidance like NZ. Offshore investment should be much more tightly regulated.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 30-Jan-23 14:44:56

As I keep saying to people who think (like the dreaded Margaret Thatcher and her followers) that taxing income, earned and unearned, is bad, if you don't have the money, you don't pay the tax; if you do have the money, you can and should pay the tax. Seems pretty simple to me.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 15:12:50

She says it well, I am indeed sick of it all

youtu.be/wnMLWss5fbU

MaizieD Mon 30-Jan-23 15:30:00

Fleurpepper

She says it well, I am indeed sick of it all

youtu.be/wnMLWss5fbU

You want to try reading 'A Decade in Tory' (a spinoff from Russ Jones' very popular weekly tweet thread, 'The Week in Tory'.)

It is absolutely stomach churning when you see it all collected in painstaking detail (every single thing is referenced, the footnotes section is almost as long as the book) between two book covers.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 15:33:36

Wheniwasyourage

As I keep saying to people who think (like the dreaded Margaret Thatcher and her followers) that taxing income, earned and unearned, is bad, if you don't have the money, you don't pay the tax; if you do have the money, you can and should pay the tax. Seems pretty simple to me.

And NO, saying this does not make you or I 'extreme left wing' or even left wing at all. Good One Nation Tories agree.