Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well Done Sir Rod! 👍

(97 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 07:00:34

Former Tory supporter and rocker Sir Roderick Stewart (78) backs Labour and offers to pay for public to have scans.
He phoned Sky News ‘while working on his model railway’ smile
www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/26/rod-stewart-calls-sky-news-offering-to-pay-for-nhs-hospital-scans

Iam64 Sun 29-Jan-23 20:21:42

Not dissimilar to the left leaning here, who couldn’t vote for Corbyn. I did through gritted teeth because the alternative scared me, I wasn’t wrong was i

Riverwalk Sat 28-Jan-23 08:59:09

I was in San Francisco in the months up to that election - no one thought that Trump would succeed.

I can't remember the exact figures but, unbelievably, for very many who voted for Trump it was a toss-up between him and Saunders - two people who are poles apart politically!

They just couldn't bring themselves to vote for Clinton.

Iam64 Sat 28-Jan-23 08:44:18

I hope the majority take a similar approach Riverwalk. We were in New York in the weeks before Trump won the election. A woman on the subway wearing a Bernie Saunders badge told me she would not vote for Hilary Clinton because even if Trump won, it wouldn’t affect her. Complacent, selfish and unbelievably daft

Riverwalk Sat 28-Jan-23 08:34:59

I'll be voting for what I think is the overall good even though the current Labour front bench is less than inspiring, and Starmer is a big disappointment.

I always quote a friend in the US who voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 - "With a peg on my nose".

Iam64 Sat 28-Jan-23 08:34:40

I voted for Keir Starmer in the leadership election. I admired his legal work and he was imo streets ahead of Long Bailey and Lisa Nandy the other candidates. Im hoping the LP will review its recent comments on twaw, be honest about the lack of clear party ideology and join Yvette Cooper (best leader we never had) in the real world.
It’s offensive to allow feminists who have spent our adult lives working to improve equality and provide safe spaces for women to be dismissed as terfs.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Jan-23 08:09:48

Iam64 I felt like that too during the Corbyn years.
I even voted for Mrs May (when she lost her majority).
I joined the Labour Party last year, as I felt that I had to do something,
but I’m not feeling so gung ho now in my support for Labour for reasons that I’m sure you can guess

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 20:55:23

Totally agree Iam64 as a lifelong Conservative I do not recognise this cohort, they do not represent me.

Iam64 Fri 27-Jan-23 20:53:17

If only, GrannyGravy13. I understand you feeling politically homeless, that’s how I felt during the Corbyn years. It does feel significant that Rod Stewart phones a radio station to criticise the government.
It’s like the country is at sea, stormy weather with an incompetent captain whose crew are pillaging the stores and will stab him in the back when the time seems right. What a dreadful state of affairs

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 20:37:10

Hopefully Iam64!the publicity this has garnered will hasten the demise of the current Government

Iam64 Fri 27-Jan-23 20:29:46

He’s a working class lad made good. Anyone achieving his success has worked very hard with any talents they have.
News n /politics is definitely the right place for your thread Fanny.
Won’t it be a wonder if other celebs give money for scans. It shouldn’t be necessary, it’s plain wrong. The nhs is a public service not a charity but these are desperate times. Will this awful government think yipppeeee, sir rod and his pals can help, we don’t need to invest

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 19:58:57

Sparklefizz

Is this the same Rod Stewart who chose to live in the US to avoid the 83% taxes for high earners under a Labour Government?

I would/will do the same if taxes rise to those levels again.

25Avalon Fri 27-Jan-23 19:48:36

Sparklefizz

Is this the same Rod Stewart who chose to live in the US to avoid the 83% taxes for high earners under a Labour Government?

My point earlier exactly.

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Jan-23 18:06:05

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 15:57:40

Exactly FannyCornforth I expect he will not be the last high profile Conservative to jump ship.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 15:55:58

When I started the thread, my thoughts were that it was news for the exact reason of Rod being such a proud and prominent Tory.
He is living (and famous) proof that this bunch of corrupt incompetents really are the bloody limit

(MrC feels exactly the same way, but I doubt that his proclamations would interest anyone on Fleet Street)

Allsorts Fri 27-Jan-23 15:55:09

Never been a real fan of Rod, however my opinion of him and his wife has grown. Very impressed when he helped fill in pot holes (his grave digging experience obviously came in) now this offer of the scans and Penny volunteering for the police is good. So well done both. Good example to their children and fans.

Riverwalk Fri 27-Jan-23 15:47:42

GrannyGravy13

Riverwalk

He's atoning for the time in the 80s when he flew back from his home in LA to vote Tory, and proudly proclaiming what he'd done!

Any excuse to have a go at those of us who vote Conservative

I don't need an excuse.

But I wasn't having a go at Tory voters - I was commenting on someone who lived as a tax exile in LA, and made no bones about it when he flew home to vote Tory.

He was able to do so as don't forget it was the Conservative Party that enabled long-term expats to vote in UK elections - you know those people that live abroad and don't have to live with the consequences.

HousePlantQueen Fri 27-Jan-23 15:47:30

GrannyGravy13

HPQ I have posted repeatedly that I am politically homeless at this moment in time.

Just gets rather wearing all the constant Conservative voter bashing

Fair enough.

growstuff Fri 27-Jan-23 15:44:19

GrannyGravy13

Ilovecheese

I expect quite a few lifelong Conservative voters like Rod Stewart will be quite happy with Keir Starmer as P.M.

Have just posted on another thread, if Yvette Cooper was leader I would seriously consider lending the Labour Party my vote. I have been impressed with her recently.

Starmer would be nuts not to give her a very senior job.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 15:42:37

Cheers growstuff đŸ‘đŸ»

growstuff Fri 27-Jan-23 15:42:19

And you can sell me the bricks to build a wall to bash my head against! hmm

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 15:41:46

Yes he has sold the house in Epping Upland, to a high earning footballer growstuff

I guess the football pitch complete with collapsible goals was the decider đŸ€ŁâšœïžđŸ„…

growstuff Fri 27-Jan-23 15:41:27

GrannyGravy13

HPQ I have posted repeatedly that I am politically homeless at this moment in time.

I'll sell you a helmet GG! grin

growstuff Fri 27-Jan-23 15:40:29

HousePlantQueen

GrannyGravy13

Riverwalk

He's atoning for the time in the 80s when he flew back from his home in LA to vote Tory, and proudly proclaiming what he'd done!

Any excuse to have a go at those of us who vote Conservative

well, what are we expected to do? Thank you? Many of the people who voted Tory in previous years will feel the same as Sir Rod, this is not the Tory party that my parents voted for this, this is a nasty selfish, greedy party who are corrupt. Now tell me why you would vote for them GG13?

I'm not surprised that Rod voted Tory. He's the epitome of a person from an ordinary family who made good through his own efforts - isn't that what Tory aspiration is supposed to be all about? It says something about the current bunch, if somebody like him has had enough.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 15:39:16