Gransnet forums

News & politics

Power Cuts

(24 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 14:31:52

Anyone else had instructions as to how prepare for power cuts?

I’m sure that it won’t happen, but I will do what they suggest. I will also get a little pack ready to cook on the camping stove.

Our letter is Q, and the rota is to be published later.

Riverwalk Sat 28-Jan-23 14:55:06

From whom have you received these instructions?

tanith Sat 28-Jan-23 15:08:36

Yes I got a letter too with our rota block letter and advise on how to prepare just in case. This came from the Electricity network supplier not Octopus who i pay my bills to.

NorthFace Sat 28-Jan-23 15:09:37

UK Power Networks say:

While this winter is expected to be challenging, there are currently no power cuts planned.

www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/emergency-power-cuts

Instructions there on how to prepare should this situation change and how to find your block letter:

www.powercut105.com/findmyblock

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 15:11:19

U.K. power Networks.

This -

“Power cuts might be uncommon, but they can happen all-year-round so it’s important you are prepared and know what to do.
Emergency power cuts are unlikely to happen, but if they do it is important you know:
You will have no power for at least three hours at a time, once or twice a day.
Priority Services Register customers will lose power in an emergency. Being on the Priority Services Register does not offer you any protection from the national power cuts.
Your gas boiler, heat pump, broadband and home phone will not work during the power cut.
Due to the national scale of the power cuts, UK Power Networks cannot supply generators/backup power to customers for these emergencies.
To prepare you should:
Find your block letter (and rota, when published) at powercut105.com.
Keep a mobile phone fully charged (if you have one) so you can use it to go online for updates or call if you have a power cut.
Keep a torch handy in case you are without power during the night.
Have warm clothes, blankets and food which doesn't need heating accessible.
In the unlikely event you do ever experience a power cut call 105 or visit the 105 website for more advice on what to do.”

I was going to ignore it as I don’t think it will happen, but then thought better of it.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 15:11:56

Thanks for the links.
I-pad doesn’t do links.

Charleygirl5 Sat 28-Jan-23 15:19:28

It was supposedly for Priority Service Customers only. I should buy some cereal because everything I possess to eat needs cooking or reheating.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 28-Jan-23 15:31:32

I haven’t received a letter.

I have wine and water, snacks and plenty of cheese, crackers, bread salad and fruit I will not starve.

AGAA4 Sat 28-Jan-23 15:36:40

I haven't had a letter yet but my block letter is further up the alphabet so may get one soon.

tanith Sat 28-Jan-23 15:55:23

Charleygirl5 is right my letter mentions the priority services register. We registered when my husband was sick.

FlexibleFriend Sat 28-Jan-23 16:06:44

Your block letter, sometimes known as an 'alpha identifier' is shown here:

D
This identifies where you are connected to the electricity network

rosie1959 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:07:08

Have not received any notification.
Have a decent torch and hubby can always fire up the bbq he has a warm coat.

prestbury Sun 29-Jan-23 14:30:48

If there are any lengthy cuts we will just move to the boat, self sufficient for several weeks.

Elegran Sun 29-Jan-23 15:20:09

Two links about the power cuts. First is to a Scotsman newspaper article on the subject. It includes how to find tour reference number. Second is to the Government rota of cuts, which will be organised by people's reference number. I copied these links back in October, so they may have changed since then, but it does give some idea of what could be happening.

The general plan is that if cuts are necessary, to start with (Level 1) EVERYONE (unless they are exempt - hospitals etc) will get 3 or 4 cuts each week, mostly on 3 different days, each lasting for up to 3 hours. If that doesn't fix the situation, there will be more cuts for everyone (level 2), and so on - right up to Level 18, which is everyone getting cuts which last all the time!!

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/read-this/uk-blackouts-the-exact-times-your-house-could-face-hours-of-power-cuts-this-winter-amid-energy-crisis-3888951

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/995049/esec-guidance.pdf

Elegran Sun 29-Jan-23 15:21:07

Your, not tour.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Jan-23 15:22:59

Love level 18😄😄😄😄 that should solve it!

winterwhite Sun 29-Jan-23 15:32:27

I thought we'd been through all this in early autumn and it was now thought unlikely.
I was preparing to stand down my stash of candles, camping lamps, beanie hats, cyclists headlamps, tinned ham and the rest.
Never heard of this rota. Has the risk been ramped up again without my spotting it?

Elegran Sun 29-Jan-23 17:16:50

The rota in the link has been in existence for years, as part of the general contingency plans for dealing with possible disaster scenarios. It show the kind of action that would have to be taken if demand for power is greater than the supply available.

I haven't heard of any specific increase in the likelihood of power cuts becoming necessary, but February is a cold month, and there will be much demand for energy.

Here are a couple more links to information on the subject.

www.energynetworks.org/customers/what-happens-in-an-energy-shortage
www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/emergency-power-cuts

Elegran Sun 29-Jan-23 17:18:04

Whitewavemark2

Love level 18😄😄😄😄 that should solve it!

Throw it into Room 101.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 29-Jan-23 17:21:05

Just been speaking with DH, if there are going to be power cuts over a sustained period we are going for a last minute break in the sun.

Grantanow Tue 31-Jan-23 14:12:25

A whole load of nannying advice that also causes undue worry.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 31-Jan-23 14:17:45

Grantanow

Totally agree GN seems to be rather doom laden at the moment

fancythat Tue 31-Jan-23 14:29:04

Not received a letter.

Are power cuts less likely as the weather warms up?

fancythat Tue 31-Jan-23 14:31:42

GrannyGravy13

Grantanow

Totally agree GN seems to be rather doom laden at the moment

I agree both of you.

It seems to me though, that the media and elsewhere love to ramp up things, including fear.

A lot of things dont come true?
Think there is a thread in there if anyone wants to start one.

What happened to potential lack of christmas turkeys, bird flu, Russ ian nukes etc.