Gransnet forums

News & politics

So has Johnson's latest attempt at gaslighting, convinced you?

(150 Posts)
CvD66 Mon 30-Jan-23 13:26:54

Boris Johnson recently tried to divert attention from his financial problems by making a unofficial trip to Ukraine (not on Sunak business). He followed this by claiming he persuaded Germany to part with special tanks for Ukraine (roundly denied by Germans). Now Johnson has stated that in a telephone call, at the start of the Ukraine war ‘Putin threatened me at one point, and he said, 'Boris, I don't want to hurt you but, with a missile, it would only take a minute' or something like that.’ Could it be the support he got when he nearly died with Covid, (unlike the 139.5 thousand actual Covid deaths in England up to Feb 2022), he feels the spectre of his death will divert people from the row over his £800k loan scandal with Richard Sharp, chair of BBC. The latest news is that the senior civil servant Simon Case, told Johnson to stop seeking financial advice from Richard Sharp given Sharp’s imminent appointment to the BBC. This flies in the face of the denials by Johnson and Sharp. But Johnson loves to divert and deny. Yet here today the Kremlin has called him out - once again.

ptarmigan Sat 04-Feb-23 15:51:35

Totally agree Grandmabatty. Personal remarks are distasteful whether the gransnet member has posted or not.

Grandmabatty Sat 04-Feb-23 15:19:40

Personal comments towards gransnet members who haven't posted on this thread are distasteful.

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 04-Feb-23 14:57:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 10:58:20

Amended post

I believe he is scamming over £200K of tax payers money to defend the partygate scandal, including the alleged lies told to parliament and which continue allegedly to be told.

It is now being questioned by those in control of MPs expenses.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 10:52:43

maddyone

Whitewavemark2

I believe that he is scamming over £200k from the tax payer to defend his criminal act of partygate etc.

BJ was given a fixed penalty fine and does not have a criminal record. Please keep to the facts. What you believe is your opinion which you are entitled to hold, but it is not a fact.

Oh sorry, I’ll amend that post forthwith🙂

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Feb-23 10:46:30

Useful idiot = dangerous idiot which is what I said.

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Feb-23 10:45:41

Fleurpepper

No, he is a very dangerous idiot, putting us all at huge risk. Not gullible at all.

I did say useful idiot

I was trying to be a bit fair when I said gullible!

nanna8 Sat 04-Feb-23 10:40:02

Casdon

volver hasn’t been commenting on Gransnet for quite a few days I don’t think Anniel, so my guess is that she hasn’t seen the recent threads. I haven’t noticed the other Scottish commenters, but don’t tend to follow them as much as I’m in Wales so I know little about Scottish politics.

Oh - maybe Scotland has seceded? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Maremia Fri 03-Feb-23 15:29:27

maddyone, so, why was Johnson given a fine, if he has done no wrong? He was given a fine, now that's a fact.

maddyone Fri 03-Feb-23 14:38:07

Whitewavemark2

I believe that he is scamming over £200k from the tax payer to defend his criminal act of partygate etc.

BJ was given a fixed penalty fine and does not have a criminal record. Please keep to the facts. What you believe is your opinion which you are entitled to hold, but it is not a fact.

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Feb-23 15:07:49

Just be thankful, we're not married to the man..if I had the energy I'd do a bedroom spoof.

RVK1CR Thu 02-Feb-23 15:00:42

Casdon

I’m actually not convinced that he is lying about Putin threatening him. Johnson is a liar, and so is Putin - who knows what games they are playing. I doubt either of them is capable of a straightforward answer even if just asked what they ate for dinner last night.

I totally agree with this ^. I always thought all that blustering and stuttering was "thinking time" for his next lie

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Feb-23 14:22:57

Grantanow Thu 02-Feb-23 13:07:58

Johnson does not represent the UK government and Sunak should tell him to pipe down or lose the whip. His recent antics remind me of Pelosi visiting Taiwan which was unhelpful to US foreign policy management.

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Feb-23 12:48:43

That twitter post disgusted me. What utter narcissistic twaddle and look at his gesture.
Meanwhile our defense minister does the actual beavering away.

Fleurpepper Thu 02-Feb-23 12:48:39

No, he is a very dangerous idiot, putting us all at huge risk. Not gullible at all.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Feb-23 12:37:11

At best he's a gullible idiot.
At worst, well, a useful idiot for those who mean us harm.

Callistemon21 Thu 02-Feb-23 12:36:30

but the recent stooshie in Scotland

Stooshie - a great word Annie1!
You live and learn on GN

WonderBra Thu 02-Feb-23 11:38:45

I wouldn't believe anything he says.

Sadly, it seems many people still do.

Parsley3 Thu 02-Feb-23 10:11:20

twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1620874809499619328?t=viNfHP-GgySsfvs42vd08Q&s=19

Mr Johnson has been busy telling the USA why they should support Ukraine. Has the PM given him a special job as Minister for the Bleeding Obvious?

Casdon Wed 01-Feb-23 22:57:39

volver hasn’t been commenting on Gransnet for quite a few days I don’t think Anniel, so my guess is that she hasn’t seen the recent threads. I haven’t noticed the other Scottish commenters, but don’t tend to follow them as much as I’m in Wales so I know little about Scottish politics.

Anniel Wed 01-Feb-23 22:45:32

Casdon there is some Labour bashing but the recent stooshie in Scotland on the gender recognition legislation has not been mentioned by Volver and other SNP supporters. I wonder why?

maddyone Wed 01-Feb-23 21:58:57

bashing

maddyone Wed 01-Feb-23 21:58:33

Starmer bashing is almost as prevalent as Boris bashin.

grin

Casdon Wed 01-Feb-23 21:18:50

Anniel

Do Labour and SNP supporters ever criticise their own parties? Boris Johnson is not the only politician who makes people angry? I am completely disgusted with Labour politicians who heckled Rosie Duffield for her stand on supporting women and our rights. Then there is the complete silence from Scottish members here who wade into any argument about the Conservatives but act as though Nicola Sturgeon’s government was not in deep trouble with voters over the Gender Recognition legislation. She was completely flummoxed over a man claiming to be a woman who was to be placed in a women’s prison despite the fact that he was a rapist.

Now where is Volver and her supporters over this mess in Scotland? I was looking forward to a thread on this subject, I did start a thread but there was no interest. Now if that thread had been about the Tories we would have had loads of posts. The Tories have little or no chance of being re elected and change in Government is needed. I will be happy for Labour to win because I think they deserve to be in government. So how do Scots feel about their politicians?

You can’t read the political threads at all often if you don’t think there’s criticism from Labour supporters about the party Anniel, it’s a constant theme - Starmer bashing is almost as prevalent as Boris bashing!