Gransnet forums

News & politics

One for those who never go on the News and Politics Forum

(213 Posts)
varian Fri 03-Feb-23 13:11:03

What do politics have to do with me????

www.instagram.com/reel/Cm71SjLI8Rr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D&fbclid=IwAR0eyj8UJnV6QrMjGHB_558e5NlChlZkIx-vBukZilXBwSi2e_mLgIneoYY

Callistemon21 Fri 10-Feb-23 18:18:16

Iam64

Grantanow

Is Happy Valley code for the UK under the Tories?

No I don’t think so Grantanow. Happy Valley is set in beautiful countryside. There’s more crime in fictional Hebden, Tott and Halifax than in real life. The beauty of it is, in the end Good triumphs over Evil. The rich (our Nev) helps those who helped him. All is well and if it isn’t a brew makes it so (that’s a mug of tea for those who don’t speak northern)

Death in Paradise - who wants to go there for a holiday?

I think Happy Valley is meant to be a euphemism anyway, relating to the OCG and the drugs scene, and abuse of alcohol too.

There is a Happy Valley in Hong Kong where the death rate was very high due to malaria and there were large cemeteries there. The racecourse is located in Happy Valley now.

Iam64 Fri 10-Feb-23 18:30:04

Callistemon, it’s also possibly a play on Hippy Valley. Sally Wainwright was born in Huddersfield in 1965. From 1967, I had friends who were going over’t’penines to a small market town called Hebden Bridge. Property, ie lovely stone terraces were cheap so these young hippies colonised entire rows.

Grantanow Sun 26-Feb-23 09:17:52

My Happy Valley post was satirical!

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:07:17

Iam64

Callistemon, it’s also possibly a play on Hippy Valley. Sally Wainwright was born in Huddersfield in 1965. From 1967, I had friends who were going over’t’penines to a small market town called Hebden Bridge. Property, ie lovely stone terraces were cheap so these young hippies colonised entire rows.

Ah, I didnt know that.
DD has a friend from Hebden Bridge, I remember she was very worried when they had floods there a few years ago.

M0nica Sun 26-Feb-23 14:12:31

I do appear on N & P threads, but generally I find them quite boring. It is almost impossible to find posts from people that do not simply reflect the policies of the parties they support.

Original thought and opinion found on many other threads seems to be entirely missing. Sideways views, 'you are all wrong' views, views that bring together policy ideas from boths sides into coherent policies are either not present or ignored by those wanting to repeat the usual hackneyed party viewpoints.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Feb-23 14:57:21

M0nica

I do appear on N & P threads, but generally I find them quite boring. It is almost impossible to find posts from people that do not simply reflect the policies of the parties they support.

Original thought and opinion found on many other threads seems to be entirely missing. Sideways views, 'you are all wrong' views, views that bring together policy ideas from boths sides into coherent policies are either not present or ignored by those wanting to repeat the usual hackneyed party viewpoints.

Your comments surprise me, as your contributions to the N&P threads never suggest boredom, nor original thought, - just like the rest of those contributors (apparently). Rather, your contributions always seem to me a tad incoherent, but I am very willing to read what you consider original thought and opinion.

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 15:46:28

JaneJudge

Galaxy

Am I the only person in the world who hasnt watched any of Happy Valleygrin

no, I've not watched any of it either sad so we are now 'some people' who haven't watched happy valley

Me neither. And don't just repeat the opinions of my Party, as I have said many times I support three of them ;) and will vote tactically whichever has a chance, in this FPTP system.

MaizieD Sun 26-Feb-23 16:34:51

^ It is almost impossible to find posts from people that do not simply reflect the policies of the parties they support^

I did't even know I supported a political party until I started posting on Gnet and people told me that I did. hmm

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Feb-23 16:38:30

... oh and that you are extreme left wing too ;) hey!

varian Sun 26-Feb-23 18:31:25

M0nica

I am so surprised that one of the most prolific posters on N&P finds the threads boring.

Yes many posters reflect the views of the political parties they support - that's why they support them.

I think that M)nica and I are both supporters of the Liberal Democrats but we each often disagree with party policy and with each other.

The point is that on Gransnet we can express our views, read the views of a wide range of other posters, and yet still support the party we most agree with although we do not always toe the party line.

Casdon Sun 26-Feb-23 18:52:52

I don’t think Monica can read the N&P threads often, because if she did she’d see the huge variety of views there actually are on them. For those of us who are interested I’ve found that there are frequently references to follow up, attachments you can use to better educate yourself, and some very knowledgeable people to learn from. I’ve really benefited from being part of them, and find them one of the most interesting things about Gransnet - it’s horses for courses though, I do appreciate that, and of course there are other interesting threads too.

Iam64 Sun 26-Feb-23 19:01:09

I’m rarely bored on news and politics. I enjoy the debate.