Gransnet forums

News & politics

One for those who never go on the News and Politics Forum

(212 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 03-Feb-23 15:35:02

Baggs

That video, though funny, says as clearly as daylight why people don't go on N&P threads on GN: the scathing condescension they expect – having witnessed it from afar – to be met with should they dare to disagree with the usual N&P enthusiasts.

I suggest that many people's avoidance of GN N&P threads is for that reason and in no way an indication of their lack of interest in political matters.

Some will also stay away out of despair at the quality of many of our current politicians (of all stripes).

Absolutely! Life’s too short for a public flogging.

Fleurpepper Fri 03-Feb-23 15:34:39

And that is totally fair and understandable.

Ziplok Fri 03-Feb-23 15:33:39

Of course politics is life, and in that respect we are all concerned with politics to one degree or another.
I think that Baggs has outlined very well why many choose not to be involved with the threads on N & P. I am one of them. Very, very rarely do I post a comment here. This does not mean, in the slightest, that I am not interested in what is going on both close to me and further afield, and I have my opinions. I just choose not to air them here.

Lyndylou Fri 03-Feb-23 15:30:40

I am extremely interested in politics but I rarely go on the N&P thread because it just annoys me. It reminds me of my lovely DIL who has a tendency to ask me searching questions simply so she can then tell me where I am wrong and what I should be thinking.

This present government has it's problems but I haven't seen anything from Labour to convince me they would be any better.

Baggs Fri 03-Feb-23 15:14:26

That video, though funny, says as clearly as daylight why people don't go on N&P threads on GN: the scathing condescension they expect – having witnessed it from afar – to be met with should they dare to disagree with the usual N&P enthusiasts.

I suggest that many people's avoidance of GN N&P threads is for that reason and in no way an indication of their lack of interest in political matters.

Some will also stay away out of despair at the quality of many of our current politicians (of all stripes).

rafichagran Fri 03-Feb-23 14:57:00

I agree politics is in everyday life, work politics, School politics, but the question is to people who do not go on to the news and politics thread. The answer is it is their choice.

I have looked at the news and politics thread but very rarely post on it. Brexiteers have their views remainers have theirs, the same with other topics discussed. No one changes their minds and the arguments go back and forth. To be fair I find it tedious.

GagaJo Fri 03-Feb-23 14:47:49

I agree FP. Not being able to heat my house is politics.

Fleurpepper Fri 03-Feb-23 14:43:59

crazyH

I watch the news, but not obsessed with politics .

What does that mean 'obsessed'???

Politics do rule our lives, roads, transport, environment, energy, water and sewerage, education, health and social care, police and criminals, taxes, and on and on ...

I cannot fathom how anyone can say 'I am not interested in politics- not for me'.

crazyH Fri 03-Feb-23 14:41:10

I watch the news, but not obsessed with politics .

AGAA4 Fri 03-Feb-23 14:38:32

It doesn't mean that those who don't come on the N and P threads have no interest in politics. We all come on GN for different reasons.
I do head for these threads and watch Politics Live and keep up with the news but others may prefer more light-hearted threads having had enough of the news for one day.

MaizieD Fri 03-Feb-23 13:29:53

Should have put it on Chat, varian. grin

varian Fri 03-Feb-23 13:11:03

What do politics have to do with me????

www.instagram.com/reel/Cm71SjLI8Rr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D&fbclid=IwAR0eyj8UJnV6QrMjGHB_558e5NlChlZkIx-vBukZilXBwSi2e_mLgIneoYY