News & politics

I see Liz Truss is set to relaunch her bid for leadership

(176 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 11:12:21

Well, good luck with that!

The country can’t afford her.

Baggs Sat 04-Feb-23 16:52:01

lixy

The BBC news page has an article about her return.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64523277

A small extract from it sums it up for me.

^Like many in her tribe, Ms Truss has never been short of that priceless political quality: a brass neck. Despite presiding over what many in the party see as one of the most disastrous political reigns in history, she is expected to argue that, essentially, she was right.^

BBC being impartial again, I see.

Which only means what those words say and not that I'm a Truss resurrectioner.

Baggs Sat 04-Feb-23 16:55:59

PS I've nothing against the BBC reporting the facts of any Truss revival. We don't need BBC reporters' slant on the matter as well.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 16:57:42

The BBC has lost its way I think and no longer a go to for facts.

AGAA4 Sat 04-Feb-23 17:06:03

Oh the arrogance! Truss I mean.

Fleur20 Sat 04-Feb-23 17:30:10

I like the idea of a secure institution!!
Surely she is the last thing we need?

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 04-Feb-23 17:30:41

Golly - just when you thought that it was safe to go into the water...

Grantanow Sat 04-Feb-23 18:02:18

Only 1% worse than Johnson.

pascal30 Sat 04-Feb-23 18:29:53

Truss is ghastly,horrible, deluded and dangerous

Casdon Sat 04-Feb-23 18:50:11

MaizieD

ExperiencedNotOld

So, for balance, I’ll throw in this:
www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj5_bH-lPz8AhXphv0HHU5GASEQFnoECCoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcontent%2Fae77f761-d062-458f-a9cd-272fcd27a975&usg=AOvVaw0Uup-KigVsofycPfq7LZhz

Goodness, is Starmer plotting to lead the tory party too?

I don’t know, as ExperiencedNotOld has posted this which is behind a paywall, you can’t read it unless you subscribe, which is a shame.

Dinahmo Sat 04-Feb-23 18:50:58

Apparently she's going to announce tomorrow. She's buoyed up by the reception she received on her speaking tour in the US. Unfortunately she was only speechifying to those who agree with her.

Joseanne Sat 04-Feb-23 19:12:18

I'm only asking here, (and joining in a political thread!), could it be that she realises she naively rushed into things last time like a bull in a china shop, without listening and taking the right advice? Maybe she still believes in growth, and now has more members thinking she might have been talking a tiny bit of sense, if she had bided her time?
I'm not sure I would want the embarrassment humiliation and the lettuce jokes all over again.

DaisyAnne Sat 04-Feb-23 19:58:54

It seems that those who group around the low-tax anthem are pushing yet again with her as their mascot, in order to attack Jeremy Hunt's low tax policies.

Apparently, they think they may be able to convince other MPs that her time in office wasn't the disaster that Parliament, the UK and the world thought it was but that, as she claims, her vision was misunderstood.

So all those of us who think that growing the country's wealth is done by adding to its infrastructure and improving the health, education and opportunity for as many as possible and not by tax cuts got it all wrong - apparently. And that increasing tax on income or wealth that's just stored up as "treasures on earth" is the way to balance this - catching it before it can go off-shore, of course, is upside down thinking, according to these people.

So can the cult of tax cuts win - I do hope not, but the more you look at voters, the more I realise that there will always be some, who follow mad ideas, because it makes them feel powerful. If they do try a repeat run and sanity prevails in this country, surely it is time to say, "get the behind me Conservatives".

DaisyAnne Sat 04-Feb-23 20:00:51

Baggs

lixy

The BBC news page has an article about her return.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64523277

A small extract from it sums it up for me.

^Like many in her tribe, Ms Truss has never been short of that priceless political quality: a brass neck. Despite presiding over what many in the party see as one of the most disastrous political reigns in history, she is expected to argue that, essentially, she was right.^

BBC being impartial again, I see.

Which only means what those words say and not that I'm a Truss resurrectioner.

What, exactly, is partial about the quote, in your view Baggs?

Normandygirl Sat 04-Feb-23 20:29:00

What I find hard to understand is how Johnson, Hancock, Dorries, Truss , etc find the time to go swanning around the world interfering in others affairs, speaking tours, book launches, jungle high jinks and hosting TV talk shows. I thought they were taxpayer paid, sitting members of Parliament. Their constituents must be thrilled with them.

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Feb-23 20:41:47

You know those small waves that follow a huge one? A ripple following a breaker?
This is probably one of those. 🤞

Normandygirl Absolutely. I would not be best pleased; perhaps voters will remember that when they place their X

MaizieD Sat 04-Feb-23 20:56:16

Casdon

MaizieD

ExperiencedNotOld

So, for balance, I’ll throw in this:
www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj5_bH-lPz8AhXphv0HHU5GASEQFnoECCoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcontent%2Fae77f761-d062-458f-a9cd-272fcd27a975&usg=AOvVaw0Uup-KigVsofycPfq7LZhz

Goodness, is Starmer plotting to lead the tory party too?

I don’t know, as ExperiencedNotOld has posted this which is behind a paywall, you can’t read it unless you subscribe, which is a shame.

I thought it was just a bit of whataboutery. I couldn't read it either. My response was a mickey take ('Some People)

Glorianny Sat 04-Feb-23 20:59:27

Is the Lettuce staging a come-back as well? If so my money is on that.

DaisyAnne Sat 04-Feb-23 22:25:30

Just in case you doubted her gall.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-tory-conservative-party-sunak-economy/

Casdon Sat 04-Feb-23 22:33:54

She gets this years ‘It wasn’t me’ award - and it’s only January.

MayBee70 Sat 04-Feb-23 23:10:43

Normandygirl

What I find hard to understand is how Johnson, Hancock, Dorries, Truss , etc find the time to go swanning around the world interfering in others affairs, speaking tours, book launches, jungle high jinks and hosting TV talk shows. I thought they were taxpayer paid, sitting members of Parliament. Their constituents must be thrilled with them.

It’s nothing new for Dorries other than she doesn’t travel round the world. Supposedly she spends most of her time in parliament writing her novels.

MayBee70 Sat 04-Feb-23 23:17:35

At least I might get some use out of my Anti Growth Coalition t shirt. She wasn’t in power long enough for me to actually wear it anywhere. I wonder if Kwarteng will be supporting her given that she blamed him for everything?

Deedaa Sat 04-Feb-23 23:20:16

Well my MP may be a waste of space who refuses all contact with me (can't imagine why grin ) but he does seem to stay around his constituency rather than jetting round the world pontificating.

Radon Liz has certainly raised lack of self awareness to new levels. Boris may be a nightmare but there is a core of intelligence working away (only to his own advantage of course) Liz is just thick.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Feb-23 03:49:37

Just had a swift read of the front of The Telegraph and Truss’s piece.

She is unhinged.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Feb-23 04:03:51

So I’ve been thinking about who are “the left wing economic establishment” who disagreed with Truss.

So I guess The Bank of England and the OBR would be one lot, oh and I suppose the city financiers that oversee the bond market?

Yes Truss and MPs that support her are delusional.

lixy Sun 05-Feb-23 04:05:20

DaisyAnne

Just in case you doubted her gall.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/02/04/liz-truss-tory-conservative-party-sunak-economy/

I just read this DaisyAnne - her reality is rather different to mine.
The pop-up adverts were for calming lavender oil - guess sales of that will be rocketing!