Gransnet forums

News & politics

So letting in a bit of reality - does this mean it is the beginning of the end of Brexit

(280 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 11:17:04

So Sunak has said this morning that NI is the best placed country in the world because it has access to the EU single market and the U.K. market.

So what now? Sunak has said out loud that membership is the best thing for NI. What is stopping Scotland demanding the same? What about us in England. I’d quite like what NI has.

varian Mon 03-Apr-23 18:05:32

Unfortunately Fleurpepper it is not just brexiters who are paying the price we are all paying the price.

No-one in my family of any generation voted Leave in the fraudulent referendum of 2016 but we are all having to pay the price.

Fleurpepper Mon 03-Apr-23 16:31:03

Well that truly resonated with me. For many reasons, and yet mostly for the end part. Yes, I've been there, many many times, right here on GN, being told just the same. Man from Northern Ireland explains why he has no sympathy whatsoever for Brexiters now paying the price

fb.watch/jGGtOwU38Y/

varian Mon 03-Apr-23 12:47:09

My grandchild and schoolfriends spent 38 hours on a coach but at least they did get across the Channel. Some school and university coach parties just gave up queueing at Dover and went home.

Suella Braverman denies Brexit to blame for Dover queues of 14 hours

www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/02/suella-braverman-denies-brexit-to-blame-for-dover-queues-of-14-hours

Dover port delays: officials dismiss claim that queues are ‘not to do with Brexit’

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dover-delays-officials-dismiss-suella-braverman-claim-queues-brexit-latest-l0mtqjfkw

Who do we believe?

vegansrock Mon 03-Apr-23 08:05:08

Well the defence seems to be - so Brexit has brought huge queues at Dover, vegetable shortages, sewage in our rivers, back to violence in N Ireland etc - never mind - just think of the benefits of Brexit like …ummm.errr….errr….

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 13:38:33

Here is another interview with Simon Calder.

It explains the physical constraints of Dover very well. And that it is the UK that required French hard border controls in Kent, and not on French side. The Chief Exec of the Port of Dover said they have 'been taken by surprise' with the number of coaches.

This autumn, we went to Croatia- and visited the country by coach. We went through Bosnian border several times, and each time, all passports had to be gathered and taken to Border Office by leader, and 3 times, all passporst were then re-distributed to all of us, we had to physically come off the coach and go one by one to desk to have own passport checked, Each time the process took about 30 minutes- for ONE coach!

youtu.be/DYYH2aOjKJM

I can only think that some making comments about the 'French' being difficult- are not aware that it is the UK that required this as part of Brexit. And of the geographical situation of the Port of Dover.

Do Brexiters want the White Cliffs be bulldozed, with the Castle and Churchill's War Rooms. That would be the only way- and would meant closing the Port for months if not years!

vegansrock Sun 02-Apr-23 13:08:48

They haven’t got enough staff or space to cope with holiday times when there is greater demand. It also takes longer to get on the Eurostar train as the checks take so long it often leaves half empty with a queue of passengers still at the station. Great thank you Brexit.

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 12:14:22

One of the many advantages of being in the EU, and for most in the EU, Schengen too- was to eliminate border checks. It was always clear that if we insisted on them one way, it would mean that it would have to be both ways. DOH! It is not the fault of the French the geography of Dover makes it impossible to have more booths either.

Grantanow Sun 02-Apr-23 10:32:32

A whole lot of whataboutery (French strikes, etc.) does not conceal the inefficiencies that this Tory-run Brexit has created. The delays at Dover are a consequence of Brexit and this Tory government's willful head in the sand attitude, witness Braverman's denial this morning. They want 'control of our borders' but try to blame the French for exercising passport control of their own - classic Tory blaming of foreigners.

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 09:05:01

Around the borders of Germany, there are literally 1000s of border check points, same for France. At Dover, due to the Channel, there is 1 - for all the traffic, private, freight, coaches. ONE, with NO space to expand at all.

Perhaps the Brexiters would relish seeing the White Cliffs of Dover, the Castle, Churchill's War rooms, etc, bulldozed to accommodate the checks THEY are asking for.

I mean ... really !?!

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 08:59:58

If you cross internally into the Netherlands, or Germany, France, etc- there isn't the concentration and numbers. Have you ever been to Dover? It is extremely narrow, a strip of land partly built onto the Channel with the White Cliffs right next to it... The French could put any number of staff on, there is NO space for extra booths at all.

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 08:57:30

You do realise the others are part of EU and part of Schengen, yes? You do understand the difference, yes? You do understand it is because of Brexit that they only have to check and stamp British passports- because this is what the British asked for?!?

Freya5 Sun 02-Apr-23 08:50:15

Fleurpepper

Chaos again in Dover, and set to get much much worse this autumn once full ckecks come into force. What a mess!

Simon Caler explains

fb.watch/jDTzY3KIVk/

Down to the intransigence of French border control. When passing into Amsterdam, a polite hello, normal check, another desk for a stamp. Quick and efficient, a lovely smile to boot. Germany are doing well also with passport checks, as efficient as usual.
Wonder how everyone else who needs stamps are welcomed in France, or is it only the British they have a beef with.

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 08:47:16

Sewerage in water is directly linked to Brexit, and several ways.

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 08:44:41

MaizieD

Oreo

The French are striking again are they Fleurpepper?
I’ll give Dover a miss for now then.

No, it's not a strike, it's what happens when you leave the EU and become a third country. The French are checking and stamping every non EU passport. It slows things down considerably.

I am quite sure Kandinsky has not bothered to watch the explanation by travel expert Simon Calder. Here it is

fb.watch/jDTzY3KIVk/

Nothing to do with French strikes, but with checks, that the UK has demanded via the Brexit process, and not even implemented properly yet.

You can give Dover a miss Kandinsky- I am sure they won't miss you.

But the essentials chemicals we need, food we can't produce, medicines, parts for industry, and so much more- can't avoid British Ports. Funny did you say? Really?

Fleurpepper Sun 02-Apr-23 08:40:30

Why do you think it is so anti Brexit? Where is that list of benefits? We have asked for it again and again, but zilch, nada! Rees-Mogg himself couldn't find any.

Kandinsky Sun 02-Apr-23 08:26:21

No you’re right, French air traffic controllers don’t just strike in August, they strike over Easter too!
It’s just you don’t talk about that because it’s not brexit related.

This board is so ridiculously anti brexit it’s actually becoming funny. 😂

MaizieD Sun 02-Apr-23 08:12:21

Kandinsky

Don’t the French air traffic controllers go on strike every August causing chaos?

But you’ll put up with that because you can’t blame Brexit.

Do you always talk in myths and cliches, Kandinsky?

vegansrock Sun 02-Apr-23 07:40:41

We also “put up with” sewage in our river and in our seas - another Brexit benefit , eh Brexit lovers?

vegansrock Sun 02-Apr-23 05:22:12

kandinsky - no , the French air traffic controllers do not strike every August and no, we don’t “put up with it as we can’t blame Brexit” - what a ridiculous defence! Any more than we “put up with” British airport security strikes or baggage handlers that seem to coincide with holiday times. Brexit is an additional, completely avoidable act of self harm.

Kandinsky Sat 01-Apr-23 21:49:12

Don’t the French air traffic controllers go on strike every August causing chaos?

But you’ll put up with that because you can’t blame Brexit.

MaizieD Sat 01-Apr-23 16:44:06

Oreo

No, it's not a strike, it's what happens when you leave the EU and become a third country. The French are checking and stamping every non EU passport. It slows things down considerably.

Oreo Sat 01-Apr-23 16:05:52

HousePlantQueen Sat 01-Apr-23 15:44:46

MaizieD

Fleurpepper

I used to take my foreign students to Colchester, for Roman history.

Colchester was lovely until the council drove a ring road through it in the 70s grin They even bashed a hole in the Roman wall...

It does still have some nice bits, lots of history and a superb park. But a rather dead town centre. And Will Quince is its MP.

It is worth a visit, Wwmk2. If you ever plan to visit, PM me...

and me

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Apr-23 13:40:26

Calder

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Apr-23 13:40:14

Chaos again in Dover, and set to get much much worse this autumn once full ckecks come into force. What a mess!

Simon Caler explains

fb.watch/jDTzY3KIVk/