Gransnet forums

News & politics

So letting in a bit of reality - does this mean it is the beginning of the end of Brexit

(279 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 11:17:04

So Sunak has said this morning that NI is the best placed country in the world because it has access to the EU single market and the U.K. market.

So what now? Sunak has said out loud that membership is the best thing for NI. What is stopping Scotland demanding the same? What about us in England. I’d quite like what NI has.

MaizieD Tue 28-Feb-23 11:28:59

If it's the beginning of the end of Brexit it puts Starmer in a difficult position, doesn't it?

Because, oddly enough, I think that the tories will gain from this tentative U turn, despite the fact that they have been determinedly anti EU for the past few years. People are admiring Sunak for being 'grown up'; if he succeeds in facing down the DUP and the ERG, and ridding us of Johnson, his standing will rise.

I'd actually like quite a bit more than NI has. Like, freedom of movement...grin

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Feb-23 11:31:37

I expect lots of companies will move to Northern Ireland now!

Excellent!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 11:43:35

MaizieD

If it's the beginning of the end of Brexit it puts Starmer in a difficult position, doesn't it?

Because, oddly enough, I think that the tories will gain from this tentative U turn, despite the fact that they have been determinedly anti EU for the past few years. People are admiring Sunak for being 'grown up'; if he succeeds in facing down the DUP and the ERG, and ridding us of Johnson, his standing will rise.

I'd actually like quite a bit more than NI has. Like, freedom of movement...grin

I’m not too sure about Starmer, I think that he is sort of in lock step with the Tories over Brexit, being careful not to be too radical so that the Tory rags can gain no purchase.

He is supporting Sunak over NI and let’s see what he says tomorrow. I’m sure there will be movement now by labour (sounds like a case of constipation😄)

There may be short term gain by the Tories, but the fundamentals of people’s lives are still getting worse.

Food inflation is now at 17% and fuel to rise again by 20%. The hardship and crises in the NHS etc is still a very large presence.

Grantanow Tue 28-Feb-23 11:48:06

The Tory MPs were all (except the headbangers) waving their Order papers yesterday when Sunak appeared so his EU agreement may have given them a boost but probably not enough to win the next GE given the cost of living etc. Starmer needs to keep up the public appearances. There's many a slip in politics. But I hope it's the end of Bozo.

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Feb-23 13:33:12

Brexit will never truly end now as the Stormont Break will see that it's never actually over.

Great news that the Scientific community will soon have (some) access to Horizon.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 13:48:04

But the opinion is that this will never be used.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 13:53:49

How long before the Tory party plus the right wing media become pro- EU?😄😄

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Feb-23 14:01:38

Yes, true WWM but as long as it exists it isn't "over".
I hope at some point we will be back in.

At last Sunak (et al) are basically admitting that access to the EU is a great thing. 👍

MayBee70 Tue 28-Feb-23 15:23:38

I don't think the electorate in general are paying much attention to all this. It said on the news that they were more concerned about the cost of energy and food and the crisis in the NHS.

M0nica Tue 28-Feb-23 15:26:41

i think we are stuck with Brexit, in name and parade at least

maddyone Tue 28-Feb-23 15:56:20

Whitewavemark2

Whose opinion?

maddyone Tue 28-Feb-23 15:56:51

MayBee70

I don't think the electorate in general are paying much attention to all this. It said on the news that they were more concerned about the cost of energy and food and the crisis in the NHS.

I think this most likely correct.

Oreo Tue 28-Feb-23 16:08:23

M0nica

I don’t know about paradeMonica 😂
I can’t see any government trying to overturn Brexit, they just have to make it work which they will in time I guess.

MaizieD Tue 28-Feb-23 16:45:25

Oreo

M0nica

I don’t know about paradeMonica 😂
I can’t see any government trying to overturn Brexit, they just have to make it work which they will in time I guess.

It's never going to work, Oreo unless we're in the Single Market and a Customs Union, with all that entails.
Believing anything else is just magical thinking.

Fleurpepper Tue 28-Feb-23 16:58:48

And that means FOM- good!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 16:59:37

MayBee70

Yes I think you are right, which is why that whilst it might give Sunak a few brownie points for a few days it won’t be sustained for the reasons you E quoted.

maddyone Tue 28-Feb-23 17:28:45

I ask again, whose opinion?

MaizieD Tue 28-Feb-23 17:40:13

maddyone

^But the opinion is that this will never be used.^

The opinion of commentators.

The reasoning goes that the 'brake' has to be initiated by the vote of 30 members of the NI Assembly. And it must be voted for by at least two of the NIA parties.

For a start, the DUP only has 25 seats.... would any other party support them?

It's being reported as a very clever ploy to get the NIA working again because the DUP, who've been stopping it working, will have to return to Stormont before it can take any action.

But I wonder if the DUP will do the maths and hold out against it.

MaizieD Tue 28-Feb-23 18:13:28

Lawyer David Allen Green explains it better:

davidallengreen.com/2023/02/is-the-stormont-brake-an-instrument-or-an-ornament-and-does-it-matter/

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 20:48:01

maddyone

^But the opinion is that this will never be used.^

Sorry have been off line - yes as maizie said the opinion of commentators - I don’t need to explain further maizie has done it for me.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 20:50:48

My I-pad does not let me do links so I’m sorry for that but people often do the job for me, as they’ve been reading the same stuff🙂. I can only cut and paste.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 21:15:49

I reckon that both Sunak and Starmer if he gets into power, will slowly but surely begin to negotiate closer relations with the EU.

Katie59 Tue 28-Feb-23 21:18:17

It doesn’t matter if it is an ornament if it gets government working again. My Step GS has just moved to NI and says it’s great , just avoid the politics.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 21:21:11

It’s down to the DUP.