The privileges committee

“Evidence strongly suggests that Johnson mislead parliament”

Luckygirl3 Fri 03-Mar-23 12:43:50

Well who would have thought it!?

Fleurpepper Fri 03-Mar-23 12:48:09

s u r p r i s e ... (not!)

MaizieD Fri 03-Mar-23 12:53:25

Have they finished their investigation?

I thought there was quite a way to go yet, with televised witness examination sessions coming up.

ExperiencedNotOld Fri 03-Mar-23 13:04:26

I’M NOT DEFENDING BORIS OR THE TORIES abut yes, my understanding is that there’s a way to go before all evidence can be considered.
A convenient out of context soundbite perhaps?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Mar-23 13:05:32

No not yet.

He appears before them on 20th

But committee says evidence strongly suggests that Johnson must have known that covid rules were being broken.

I think that the noise is definitely tightening.

Of course Johnson is fighting back - but from an inveterate liar it is difficult to know truth.

Oldbat1 Fri 03-Mar-23 13:12:35

Interim report from committee says evidence “strongly” suggests he knew he was breaking rules.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Mar-23 13:14:32

ExperiencedNotOld

I’M NOT DEFENDING BORIS OR THE TORIES abut yes, my understanding is that there’s a way to go before all evidence can be considered.
A convenient out of context soundbite perhaps?

Got your attention though didn’t it😄?

They have come up with 4 ways Johnson lied to parliament.

There was deep concern by the civil servants in No 10 at how the breaking of covid rules could be explained away.

Boz Fri 03-Mar-23 13:28:39

Can he avoid this hearing if he resigns from Parliament?

MaizieD Fri 03-Mar-23 13:44:56

Here is the Interim Report which was published today

The committee stresses that this is not their final judgement; it details what they want to ask Johnson about when he is examined by them.

Section 32 sets out

32. There is evidence that the House of Commons may have been misled in the following ways which the Committee will explore:

The 'ways' are then listed. There are 4 of them.

committees.parliament.uk/publications/34228/documents/188328/default/

Happygirl79 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:10:53

Thank you for giving the link to the interim report. It may be interim, but by God, it's damning!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:22:10

Happygirl79

Thank you for giving the link to the interim report. It may be interim, but by God, it's damning!

As I said “bang to rights”😄😄

Casdon Fri 03-Mar-23 14:24:09

Boz

Can he avoid this hearing if he resigns from Parliament?

I found this in the UK Parliament Committees section from when Johnson was still PM.

‘Will the Committee continue their inquiry when Mr Johnson has ceased to be Prime Minister? Or if he ceases to be an MP?’

‘The current inquiry (the matter referred on 21 April 2022) remains referred to the Committee regardless of any decision to resign, including if Mr Johnson decides to resign as an MP. The Committee will continue to follow the instruction of the House unless and until it is instructed otherwise by the House. The House of Commons would have to pass a motion for the Privileges Committee to cease their inquiry. ‘

Oreo Fri 03-Mar-23 14:24:11

MaizieD

I thought there was quite a way to go yet, with televised witness examination sessions coming up.

This is so.
Whitewavemark2 is a bit premature.

Oreo Fri 03-Mar-23 14:25:12

Of course he lied tho 😆

BlueBelle Fri 03-Mar-23 14:41:04

Ah not Johnson ….never
Of course the man and many others don’t know the truth if it bit them on the bum

Fleurpepper Fri 03-Mar-23 14:43:24

Happygirl79

and not one tiny weeny bit premature!

Urmstongran Fri 03-Mar-23 14:47:13

Boris is going in to bat though. Foolhardy?
He will go in and say ‘sorry, sorry’ and say he was acting on the advice of advisers.
I think he’ll get away with it and just get his wrists slapped.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:49:03

Urmstongran

Boris is going in to bat though. Foolhardy?
He will go in and say ‘sorry, sorry’ and say he was acting on the advice of advisers.
I think he’ll get away with it and just get his wrists slapped.

You might be right😡

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:50:19

Oreo

MaizieD

This is so.
Whitewavemark2 is a bit premature.

I always get a tad exited😄😄😄

Oreo Fri 03-Mar-23 14:53:13

😂

Oreo Fri 03-Mar-23 14:54:00

I think exited is what Boris has done😁

MayBee70 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:56:29

He lied. I heard him lie. I’ve even heard him lie in Parliament when he was speaking in parliament about a subject that he didn’t even have to lie about: in fact he didn’t even need to say anything. Unfortunately I can’t remember what he was talking about but it was as if he can’t stop himself from lying. It’s what he does.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Mar-23 14:59:38

Oreo

I think exited is what Boris has done😁

Bugger

Oreo Fri 03-Mar-23 15:02:03

Hopefully he has exited for good, he keeps sniping from the sidelines tho😡