Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson: bang to rights

(103 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Mar-23 12:41:52

The privileges committee

“Evidence strongly suggests that Johnson mislead parliament”

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Mar-23 05:40:58

Looking at the papers they are suggesting (all but the Mail and Express of course) that Johnson could be suspended for at least a month.

Then we are in by election territory.

At last the message is being sent out - lying is totally unacceptable.

Now we want to do the same for corruption and fraud.

MaizieD Sat 04-Mar-23 07:59:32

The papers are a bit premature, aren't they? The investigation isn't over. Johnson hasn't been questioned yet and it's Parliament that decides on the appropriate sanction should he be found to have misled them.

The media can speculate (and I hope they are absolutely correct) but it's Parliament that decides.

DaisyAnne Sat 04-Mar-23 08:40:58

I think that he was supposed to have sent written evidence to them by now, but hasn't done so. The interim findings should, if anything, be a help to him.

DaisyAnne Sat 04-Mar-23 08:44:40

Whitewavemark2

Looking at the papers they are suggesting (all but the Mail and Express of course) that Johnson could be suspended for at least a month.

At last the message is being sent out - lying is totally unacceptable.

Now we want to do the same for corruption and fraud.

Not quite Whitewave. What the inquiry recommends is just that, a recommendation.

Then it becomes Sunak's problem as it has to be voted on by Parliament.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Mar-23 09:00:41

MaizieD

The papers are a bit premature, aren't they? The investigation isn't over. Johnson hasn't been questioned yet and it's Parliament that decides on the appropriate sanction should he be found to have misled them.

The media can speculate (and I hope they are absolutely correct) but it's Parliament that decides.

I know that🙂.

But I can wish and hope.

I want to see the U.K. become a place where lying, fraud and corruption in our seat of government is absolutely not accepted.

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 09:08:44

Yes, and also because (and I know some won't believe me) the whole World is watching.

Dickens Sat 04-Mar-23 09:45:02

ExperiencedNotOld

Same old nastiness being trotted out by the same few. I can imagine that in a previous life, you sat knitting whilst waiting for the executioner.

But, ENO (if you don't mind that abbreviation?)...

... we are not obliged to be nice or kind to Boris Johnson - are we?

He is a liar. He was our PM. Apart from anything else, that alone is sufficient reason to hold him to account.

Now if he, or a member of his family or, God forbid, one of his children, were ill or suffering some misfortune - then I would agree that kicking someone when they're in a vulnerable position is rather tasteless and unpleasant. But Johnson is romping around the globe, confident, boisterous and in fine fettle.

He is not a victim. He has questions to answer. I believe in fairness and justice. If you practise to deceive... well, you know the rest. The web is untangling. Johnson has brought this upon himself. Lies, deceit, evading questions, obfuscating, these are all actions that have consequences (and I'm not referencing his private life here - that is his own business - only he and those involved in it know the dynamics).

Grantanow Sat 04-Mar-23 09:55:12

It seems likely the Committee will find against BoJo and recommend suspension but that result would be voted on by the Commons where the Tories have a majority. Will Sunak whip the Tories to vote one way or the other or leave it to the individual Tory MP?

Dickens Sat 04-Mar-23 10:11:59

Grantanow

It seems likely the Committee will find against BoJo and recommend suspension but that result would be voted on by the Commons where the Tories have a majority. Will Sunak whip the Tories to vote one way or the other or leave it to the individual Tory MP?

I truly believe Johnson would rather see the demise of his party than allow that someone in it succeeded where he failed.

DaisyAnne Sat 04-Mar-23 11:54:11

MaizieD

They really aren't premature. This is the end of the stage of written evidence. Johnson was supposed to submit his but he hasn't bothered.

At this point I imagine it could be decided that there was not enough evidence for them to continue. As it is there was so they are going on to the next stage and this report has now made Johnson aware of the areas he will be questioned on.

That seems extremely fair to me.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 04-Mar-23 12:12:53

Absolutely Dickens. Mr Johnson seems quite comfortable with his behaviours. Therefore it is appropriate that he is called to account for his actions. ENO, I cannot see why you have a problem with that. Everyone is responsible for their own actions, and the consequences of them, including me and the former Prime Minister- surely?

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 12:21:03

Anyone who still believes that Johnson is not a perpetual massive liar, really has to re-exmine the evidence.

Here about the 'oven-ready- deal.

fb.watch/j2YdiFVS_7/

MaizieD Sat 04-Mar-23 12:48:18

DaisyAnne

MaizieD

They really aren't premature. This is the end of the stage of written evidence. Johnson was supposed to submit his but he hasn't bothered.

At this point I imagine it could be decided that there was not enough evidence for them to continue. As it is there was so they are going on to the next stage and this report has now made Johnson aware of the areas he will be questioned on.

Did I say that it wasn't fair?

I was pointing out that it wasn't a foregone conclusion.

The greased piglet has managed to elude capture so far...

Oreo Sat 04-Mar-23 12:49:30

🤣🐷

wicklowwinnie Sat 04-Mar-23 12:52:16

When we have the next general election the country will get the government it deserves.
Not sure when it's due though.

Urmstongran Sat 04-Mar-23 13:00:15

Boris wasted his 80 seat majority on being given a HUGE mandate to facilitate Brexit with autonomy, diversification and confidence in our UK strengths and abilities - of which we have many. He totally wasted his opportunity. Getting Covid in March 2020 when there were no vaccines and everyone was scared spooked him and he took his eye off the Brexit ball to deal with the pandemic. And so the impetus was lost. I’m sure looking back he regrets this. So do all of us who specifically lent him our votes. Hey ho. A missed opportunity and now we will never know what could have been.

I’ve accepted this and moved on. Brexit never happened.

DaisyAnne Sat 04-Mar-23 13:15:53

MaizieD

DaisyAnne

MaizieD

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle.

Did I say you said it wasn't fair. No.

Did I pick up on your comment The papers are a bit premature, aren't they? Yes. I then wrote about why they had brought the papers out now.

Is that allowed in Maizieland?

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 13:28:57

Brexit never happened - you said UrmstonG- but the damage has, massive and very long lasting.

Would you be kind enough to explain what Brexit would have entailed 'if it had happened'?

MaizieD Sat 04-Mar-23 14:00:41

DaisyAnne

MaizieD

DaisyAnne

MaizieD

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle.

Did I say you said it wasn't fair. No.

Did I pick up on your comment The papers are a bit premature, aren't they? Yes. I then wrote about why they had brought the papers out now.

Is that allowed in Maizieland?

Just go on having conversations with yourself, DaisyAnne.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 04-Mar-23 14:18:50

Did anyone else think that he was even more rambling and incoherent than usual when being interviewed yesterday? It looked as if his shirt was untucked at the back as well as at the front. He looked to me as if he had been enjoying the dinners after which he has been paid a fortune goodness knows by whom and goodness knows why to speak so maybe that would account for the incoherence...

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 14:40:08

well, when he was Foreign Secretary and went, against all official advice, to a bunga bunga party with his Russian mates in Umbria- he was dishevelled, looked like a tramp and was barely able to speak, at the airport the next day. So what did he do or say when he was there. THIS is what an enquiry should be about- lying is one thing, being a traitor, is another.

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 14:44:41

Lying, again and again. But this is not the most serious- his relationship with Russian oligarchs is massively more serious. He went to a bunga bunga party to Lebedev's mansion in Umbria, Italy- against all advice, when he was Foreign Secretary.

When he was seen at the airport the day he returned, he was still drunk, dishevelled and dressed like a tramp, and could barely put a sentence together. A compulsive liar he is, there is not doubt - but is he much worse, a traitor.

His Brexit was exactly what Putin wanted. Split Europe, and keep London/UK as a hide-out for very dirty money.

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 14:50:11

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/26/boris-johnson-security-evgeny-lebedev-perugia-party

very serious stuff. Was he filmed, was he drugged even- was he blackmailed later. What did he divulge to the Russians, linked to the KGB? Extremely worrying questions.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Mar-23 17:55:00

Yes I have always thought that is potentially the far more serious issue.

But I suspect that if there is a potential issue here, the security services should be all over it. And I guess we will never know the truth of the matter.

varian Sat 04-Mar-23 18:12:51

Fleurpepper

Lying, again and again. But this is not the most serious- his relationship with Russian oligarchs is massively more serious. He went to a bunga bunga party to Lebedev's mansion in Umbria, Italy- against all advice, when he was Foreign Secretary.

When he was seen at the airport the day he returned, he was still drunk, dishevelled and dressed like a tramp, and could barely put a sentence together. A compulsive liar he is, there is not doubt - but is he much worse, a traitor.

His Brexit was exactly what Putin wanted. Split Europe, and keep London/UK as a hide-out for very dirty money.

Of course Putin backed brexit - he is no friend of our country a knew that brexit would harm us.

Johnson may just have been a "useful idiot" or he may have colluded with Putin and his oligarch friends.

Either way he has betrayed us. He is a traitor.