Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gary Lineker's tweet

(1001 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 08-Mar-23 09:10:38

Did he just compare the language used by government to 1930s Germany? Or did he actually reference Nazi Germany?

Bodach Tue 14-Mar-23 17:40:35

MaizieD

Bodach

"I'm just wondering what the reaction would have been if any other poster had written Fp's post.
I'm feeling that there is another agenda being operated here."

Dear MaisieD
Would you care to elaborate on these remarks?

No I don't, because I think you know exactly what I am talking about.

Dear MaizieD
My apologies for this tardy follow-up to your negative response to my request for clarification. I think you are reading far more into my motives than actually exist. Just to be clear: I am an occasional 'dipper-in' to Gransnet, rather than a devoted reader or poster. I follow/track no-one. I know nothing of whatever bees currently occupy your or Fleurpepper's bonnets, and I would have commented exactly the same on the "and finally - UK" matter regardless of who had posted it.
So, no: I don't know exactly what you are talking about. But what I do take away from this conversation is the impression that you do not take well to someone expressing a view contrary to yours.

25Avalon Tue 14-Mar-23 17:11:50

Some vile troll has sent a tweet to George Lineker saying he should be burnt at the stake for publicly supporting his father. Whether you think Gary was right or not how disgusting is that!

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Mar-23 17:11:27

😁

I hear there's to be a penalty shoot out.

Wyllow3 Tue 14-Mar-23 17:08:46

Callistemon21

Wyllow3

They haven't apologised, but the score was definitely 1-0.

So, according to the BBC, it was a draw, then.

Erm actually....grin

it was on the BBC, on the World at One R4 on Monday.

The newsreader was being impartial as they outlined the news but brought in a commentator who said that.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Mar-23 16:58:33

westendgirl

Sorry I think I was sidetracked by your saying that "they could do some good and help out in a foodbank or a refugee centre."
It made me wonder if you were not aware of his charitable work.

Me too.

Gary earns more from his crisp adverts than from the BBC

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Mar-23 16:57:36

also that he does does charity work, why you would assume I didn’t know or feel the need to throw that at me!

Perhaps because you said this, Allsorts:

They could do some good and help out in a food bank or a refugee centre, be positive, he's earned enough but perhaps nothing is ever enough I don't know. Holly could help out to, inject some glamour

🤔

Allsorts Tue 14-Mar-23 16:47:33

Do stop you bullying. I won’t be reading. Find someone else to argue your points with.
Gary’s son has been targeted on Twitter for supporting his fathers views, disgraceful behaviour. Person responsible should be banned. Someone just had to do it, there’s some nasty people about.

westendgirl Tue 14-Mar-23 16:03:11

Sorry I think I was sidetracked by your saying that "they could do some good and help out in a foodbank or a refugee centre."
It made me wonder if you were not aware of his charitable work.

Mollygo Tue 14-Mar-23 16:01:31

Respected? Or just someone people have heard of and associate with football. Not all the comments I’ve read or heard on the media have been favourable.
On Twitter he’s done a lot for freedom of speech. Posters coming out in hordes to thank him for giving them permission to say what they like, about who or what they like and be lauded for it rather than losing their jobs.
I’m curious to know if GL and those who refused to work in support of GL, lost money the way those on strike are losing it for refusing to work.
Does anyone on GN know?

Doodledog Tue 14-Mar-23 16:01:19

The rules of impartiality which are necessary for the BBC to be relevant seems to have been waived. There lies a very slippery slope.

Which rules are these, Allsorts?

Allsorts Tue 14-Mar-23 15:55:40

The tweet and my opinion on that tweet , is purely based on the BBC impartiality rule. I did know Gary’s son had Leukaemia, remember his treatment and his recovery thankfully, also that he does does charity work, why you would assume I didn’t know or feel the need to throw that at me! On this subject he has it wrong in my opinion. The rules of impartiality which are necessary for the BBC to be relevant seems to have been waived. There lies a very slippery slope., I base my opinion on the subject, I like most people have lost loved ones to cancer but that doesn’t automatically make me right on everything. It was my opinion you don’t have to agree.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Mar-23 15:53:39

I don’t think people realise how respected worldwide Lineker is. Alastair Campbell said he was getting calls from all over the world about this story.

westendgirl Tue 14-Mar-23 15:35:38

Allsorts Gary Lineker has done a lot for CLIC appeal. Perhaps you did not know that one of his sons had leukaemia.
~~Perhaps a bit more findinding out would help you see a fuller picture of the man.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Mar-23 15:03:26

Allsorts

Let Gary and the others go and get some new talent in. They will bring their win style and a fresh outlook. BBC is bigger than their ego's. They could do some good and help out in a food bank or a refugee centre, be positive, he's earned enough but perhaps nothing is ever enough I don't know. Holly could help out to, inject some glamour

Silly post.

You obviously have no idea what Gary Lineker does for charity and the huge amounts he donates to many charities including children's leukaemia and cancer charities.

He didnt earn his OBE for playing football, it was because of his charity work.

growstuff Tue 14-Mar-23 08:49:43

MaizieD

^Claiming that people who don't disagree with Lineker's facts and/or don't have concerns about what is happening with regards to immigration and then claiming they want "open borders" etc is a classic strawman argument.^

I don't think LindyLou made any claim about anyone wanting 'open borders'. Or are you generalising from the whole thread, growstuff?

Apologies to Lindylou.

Yes, I was generalising from the whole thread. It seems that (for some people) supporting Lineker's tweet and even objecting to the current bill is equivalent to wanting "open borders" and being some kind of traitor.

Allsorts Tue 14-Mar-23 07:43:08

Let Gary and the others go and get some new talent in. They will bring their win style and a fresh outlook. BBC is bigger than their ego's. They could do some good and help out in a food bank or a refugee centre, be positive, he's earned enough but perhaps nothing is ever enough I don't know. Holly could help out to, inject some glamour

MaizieD Tue 14-Mar-23 07:34:44

Claiming that people who don't disagree with Lineker's facts and/or don't have concerns about what is happening with regards to immigration and then claiming they want "open borders" etc is a classic strawman argument.

I don't think LindyLou made any claim about anyone wanting 'open borders'. Or are you generalising from the whole thread, growstuff?

growstuff Tue 14-Mar-23 03:55:30

LindyLou2020

BlueBelle

He is correct I agree with every word and anyone who doesn’t realise that is heartless and a racist

With respect, you worded your statement as if it were fact, but it is actually just your opinion.
Declaring unilaterally that people who disagree with Linekar are "heartless and racist" is gaslighting people who may actually have concerns about what is happening regarding asylum seekers, and would welcome open debate about it.
It is arrogant to opine that people are either for, or against asylum seekers.
There are many, many nuances between these two stances.

I disagree. There is almost nothing in Lineker's tweet which is an opinion. The gaslighting is in claiming that it is an opinion.

Claiming that people who don't disagree with Lineker's facts and/or don't have concerns about what is happening with regards to immigration and then claiming they want "open borders" etc is a classic strawman argument.

Pure 1930s Germany!

growstuff Tue 14-Mar-23 03:50:26

Callistemon21

Wyllow3

A clear case for using VAR.

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 23:12:31

Wyllow3

25Avalon Mon 13-Mar-23 22:30:06

How stupid is this. The BBC have now stood down and capitulated by all accounts. A complete U turn by the sound of it. If they were not going to stick to their guns they should never have raised it. What idiots! Storm and teacup spring to mind.

Fleurpepper Mon 13-Mar-23 19:33:43

Dinahmo

Fleurpepper

This thread is not about how the BBC is, or should be, funded.

I don't see why BBC funding cannot be discussed. The Beeb has been attacked several times on this thread for the amount GL has been paid and the cost of the licence fee. it needs to be defended, even if it occasionally does stupid things.

Fair enough. The issues discussed are very important in their own right, and personally I feel everything else is a distraction. But hey ho.

LindyLou2020 Mon 13-Mar-23 19:05:19

BlueBelle

He is correct I agree with every word and anyone who doesn’t realise that is heartless and a racist

With respect, you worded your statement as if it were fact, but it is actually just your opinion.
Declaring unilaterally that people who disagree with Linekar are "heartless and racist" is gaslighting people who may actually have concerns about what is happening regarding asylum seekers, and would welcome open debate about it.
It is arrogant to opine that people are either for, or against asylum seekers.
There are many, many nuances between these two stances.

MayBee70 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:15:47

And an own goal at that!

Wyllow3 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:12:14

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion