Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gary Lineker's tweet

(1000 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 08-Mar-23 09:10:38

Did he just compare the language used by government to 1930s Germany? Or did he actually reference Nazi Germany?

AskAlice Wed 08-Mar-23 09:16:15

"Writing on Twitter, the ex-footballer said the language in which the plans had been set out was "not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s"."

Mollygo Wed 08-Mar-23 09:17:00

Don’t know. Didn’t see it, but he’s getting his knuckles rapped without losing pay.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:18:46

To help you make your own mind up.

GagaJo Wed 08-Mar-23 09:27:39

I think he's spot on. I'd have been a lot harsher, but he's in the public eye so has to be careful.

Good for him. Someone has to stand up and say 'This is unacceptable.'

Dickens Wed 08-Mar-23 09:34:19

Apart from the tweet, I think I'm beginning to see the Tory plan for winning back the votes they know they are losing at the moment.

It's going to be a full-on attack on immigrants and 'woke' lefties - in an effort to discredit the Labour party.

And it might work.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:34:56

There are so many high profile people speaking out against this law breaking bill - it is heartening to see.

Brendan May

The BBC is apparently going to ‘speak to’
@GaryLineker
about this tweet, which is ironic as it’s more accurate than most of the corporation’s actual news coverage.

Wyllow3 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:35:43

Good for him.
He was very careful to say, "in the 1930's".

GagaJo Wed 08-Mar-23 09:49:14

It would be good to put quotes / policies side by side for comparison.

Blondiescot Wed 08-Mar-23 09:57:45

GagaJo

It would be good to put quotes / policies side by side for comparison.

I saw something like that on FB earlier - it was quite scary. And yes, I'm with you - people have to stand up and say that this is unacceptable.

Franbern Wed 08-Mar-23 09:59:23

Well done for speaking out, Mr Linekar, and very accurately.

Cannot see that he has said anything incorrect - so why should he be reprimanded. Or is telling the truth just too 'woke' these days???

Fleurpepper Wed 08-Mar-23 10:00:45

Whitewavemark2

To help you make your own mind up.

Fair enough, surely. Well said.

GagaJo Wed 08-Mar-23 10:05:30

Yes, I think rather than silencing him ('cancelling') we need more public figures to stand up to them.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 08-Mar-23 10:05:52

The scariest thing to me is not that Gary Lineker said it but that there's an uproar because he said it. A carefully-orchestrated uproar if you ask me. He's entitled to his opinion, and it matters not a jot if that opinion is 'out of touch' with voters in decayed old mining and manufacturing towns terrified that asylum-seekers threaten an end to morris dancing and tea and biscuits at the vicarage.

Lineker is spot on with his warning. This whipping-up of hatred for a convenient scapegoat is exactly how the Nazis came to power in the 1930s.

Fleurpepper Wed 08-Mar-23 10:09:06

Fabulous pos5 LadaHonoria. Love the morris dancing and biscuits at the vicarage!

Keeleklogger Wed 08-Mar-23 10:15:30

He should stick to what he is good at, flogging crisps

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 08-Mar-23 10:15:40

Well done Mr Lineker. We need more well-known and articulate people to speak the truth. And yes, it is absolutely transparent why the Tories are doing this. Embrace the Daily Fail readers and they’ve won the next election.

Wyllow3 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:17:05

The BBC had to "reprimand" as a matter of course, as he's attacked the government. I'm not reading overmuch into that. I will just further spread the word.

Unsurprisingly the D Mail has gone into attack mode
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11833977/BBC-slaps-Gary-Lineker-Nazi-slur-migrant-boats-crisis.html

Apparently Lineker is a nasty leftie.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:18:29

It is all about cancel culture, othering and hate.

This is an orchestrated policy. They have nothing else left to offer the U.K.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:31:11

“The problem for Braverman is Lineker is right. What she is saying and is doing does echo 1930s Germany and that is precisely why decent people are profoundly worried by what she is doing and where it is leading.”

Richard Murphy

GrannyGravy13 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:32:14

I am not a supporter of the current immigration Bill as it has been presented.

However, I cannot get excited about a tweet sent by a football pundit, is he lining himself up for a knighthood or a nice safe Labour seat?

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Mar-23 10:34:11

Franbern

Well done for speaking out, Mr Linekar, and very accurately.

Cannot see that he has said anything incorrect - so why should he be reprimanded. Or is telling the truth just too 'woke' these days???

It’s simply because he works for the BBC (the highest paid presenter, I think).
He isn’t allowed to express political views as part of his contract, as the BBC is paid for by the public.
They are all supposed to keep schtum regarding politics.
The BBC must remain unbiased.

Not my opinion, I’m just explaining

Freya5 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:34:12

That's a rather bigoted look at our devastated poorer areas.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Mar-23 10:37:22

Yes, he’s the highest paid.
£1.35 million a year for Match of the Day and Sports Personality of the year.
Zoe Ball is the second highest paid 🙄

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:37:36

Yvette Cooper - disagrees with Lineker.

I disagree with Cooper.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion