Gransnet forums

News & politics

Schools an physical activity for pupils

(77 Posts)
Gin Wed 08-Mar-23 16:57:12

I see the Government has a new idea: children should have 60 minutes of physical activity a day with 30 minutes being undertaken in school. What a wonderful new initiative! I had a games lesson every day at my grammar school in the 1950s. We played hockey, netball, tennis and rounders outside and wonderful gym lessons (who remembers playing pirates on the apparatus?) with country and ballroom dancing in the hall. We were all encouraged to play these sports in our lunch break too. That plus cycling to school kept us all fit and hungry!

Glorianny Sat 18-Mar-23 09:47:49

annodomini

Our school lunch hour was 12.30 to 13.50 which gave us time to go home and back if we didn't take school dinner. When I started secondary school I was able to cycle though my sisters had to walk. Plenty of exercise for us as it was about 1km each way. Oh and we always had a 15 minute break in mid afternoon which allowed the (male) teachers to have a quick smoke. grin

I'd forgotten the smoking! Open the door to the men's staff room and the smoke billowed out into the corridor. You couldn't see across the room for it.