Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pickets and strikes

(76 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 16-Mar-23 11:36:57

I've been finding it rather disturbing watching clips of picket lines on the TV. The people taking part seem to be taking the whole thing as a day out, an enjoyable excursion to have a day enjoying themselves and being slightly 'naughty'.
They seem like little children, not sensible reasoning adults and it makes me uncomfortable to see their laughing smiling faces.
(And before you ask, no I wouldn't prefer to see snarling malevolent expressions, I don't know why I feel this way and wondered if I'm alone).

Ashcombe Fri 17-Mar-23 07:38:51

vegansrock

There was a massive peaceful march through London on Wednesday with teachers, civil servants, health workers , rail workers etc. it was hardly reported as the news was all about the budget. No doubt if there had been violence or cars set on fire there would have been some coverage. I’m with the strikers on this one.

No coverage given to several strikes in France recently because the retirement age is being raised from 62 to 64! Imagine……!!

GagaJo Fri 17-Mar-23 07:49:02

Germanshepherdsmum

I doubt that parents are paid for the time they are forced to take off either - or maybe they take it from their (far less generous than teachers’) annual leave.

Don't repeat the myth of teachers generous annual leave. Teachers salaries are averaged over the year. They don't actually get paid for large parts of the holiday. Equally, they only get paid for a set number of hours a week (I forget how many - around 37.5 I think). As a teacher I worked more than double my weekly paid hours and worked (in and out of school) in holidays and always at least one day every weekend.

Teachers do not get general annual leave. There is a reason there is a teaching recruitment and retention crisis. And civvies repeating the myths of short work days and long holidays just perpetuate the problem. The public (even right wing ones) need teachers if they want a good quality of education, so while you might not agree with striking, don't demonise people who are dedicated to helping the countries children. Unlike the government who really don't give a sh*t about children in state education.

GagaJo Fri 17-Mar-23 07:49:48

*not general! Generous

MaizieD Fri 17-Mar-23 08:56:58

Germanshepherdsmum

‘The cost of removing the pension cap would be better spent….’. Do you mean the loss of tax revenue, which doesn’t fund expenditure?

Just trying to use language that you might understand, GSM as the reality of state financing is too much for you.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Mar-23 09:11:30

Good attempt at wriggling out of the own goal, but unsuccessful.

MaizieD Fri 17-Mar-23 09:14:18

Germanshepherdsmum

Good attempt at wriggling out of the own goal, but unsuccessful.

😂😂😂

Is that the best you can come up with?

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Mar-23 10:42:10

Ashcombe I learned of the strikes in France from news reports so I think there must be coverage somewhere.

Humduh Fri 17-Mar-23 13:13:29

My ex husband a very well paid tube driver. Local picket in one of the poorest London boroughs had barbecue set up with heaps of delicious treats on picnic table. I marched up in my six pound Primark track suit in the cold without a hat, coat etc and asked innocently for something from the food back. Of course was sent away.

Dinahmo Fri 17-Mar-23 13:29:31

NotSpaghetti

Ashcombe I learned of the strikes in France from news reports so I think there must be coverage somewhere.

The strikes and rioting in France have escalated following Macron forcing through the legislation to increase the retirement age from 62 to 64. Plenty of coverage in today's Guardian.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Mar-23 13:30:42

NotSpaghetti

The riots in Paris yesterday evening have just been reported on BBC lunchtime news.

halfpint1 Fri 17-Mar-23 13:57:20

As a Brit living in France I find it very difficult to reconcile with
all the protesting going on over the retirement age. I can't
imagine how they would cope if the age was leveled out with
the rest of Europe.
As one sensible bloke said yesterday , carry on like this and we'll have Madame Le Pen in charge, heaven forbid!

sodapop Fri 17-Mar-23 15:38:49

And therein lies the problem halfpint many people voted for Macron to keep Le Penn out. Now he is carrying through his manifesto they are not happy.

LovelyLady Sat 18-Mar-23 12:12:28

As a life long trade union member, I’d never cross a picket line, either visible or invisible.
I last went on strike about 12 years ago. I of course didn’t get paid for not working. My local authority employer in a Tory area insisted I paid them my days wage to keep my employment unbroken for my pension.
The local schools were on strike recently / shame shame shame on those who crossed the picket line.
Interestingly, if an increased payment is awarded, those who didn’t strike will get the increase too.
There’s no point in moaning about wages and not striking. Equal pay said the suffragette movement. Some things never change,

Dinahmo Sat 18-Mar-23 12:15:57

halfpint1

As a Brit living in France I find it very difficult to reconcile with
all the protesting going on over the retirement age. I can't
imagine how they would cope if the age was leveled out with
the rest of Europe.
As one sensible bloke said yesterday , carry on like this and we'll have Madame Le Pen in charge, heaven forbid!

I agree with you. However, we met up with some French friends last night and they are totally opposed to it. they don't like Macron but equally they seem to have disliked the preceding presidents too.

albertina Sat 18-Mar-23 17:07:06

They're cold and fed up.

Yes it doesn't look good, but they haven't been schooled in the world of PR like our current ruling politicians.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 18-Mar-23 17:56:24

My Mum had to cross a GPO picket line many years ago. She needed the money. She had a horrible experience. As a consequence I have no time for pickets.

Glorianny Sat 18-Mar-23 22:56:15

My grandfather joined the union, stood on picket lines and refused to conform to the system which meant dock workers were casual labour. The efforts of unions gave people the current working conditions they enjoy.
I assume your mother accepted any pay rise the union, the strikers and the pickets gained for her.

katy1950 Sun 19-Mar-23 08:36:10

What do we want more pay . When do we want it NOW I'm sick of hearing this we all need more money I've no sympathy for these union bullies

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 19-Mar-23 09:12:29

Glorianny

My grandfather joined the union, stood on picket lines and refused to conform to the system which meant dock workers were casual labour. The efforts of unions gave people the current working conditions they enjoy.
I assume your mother accepted any pay rise the union, the strikers and the pickets gained for her.

They were better off than my mother. They could afford to strike with no pay. She couldn’t.

nanna8 Sun 19-Mar-23 09:19:26

I was watching some of the French riots and protests thinking they certainly know how to do it, the French. Could almost hear the French National Anthem and the chopping of the guillotine.

Glorianny Sun 19-Mar-23 10:04:56

Germanshepherdsmum

Glorianny

They were better off than my mother. They could afford to strike with no pay. She couldn’t.

I have never met anyone who could really afford to strike. Strikes only happen when management refuse to negotiate and anyone who goes on strike loses pay. The long term benefits are enjoyed by all. Like equal pay for women of course brought about by the Dagenham women strikers (who probably couldn't afford to strike either).

Smileless2012 Sun 19-Mar-23 10:48:54

That must have been difficult and unpleasant GSM.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 19-Mar-23 12:14:00

Thanks Smileless. It was - and it went on for several days. Mum was such a kind person and would never have behaved towards others as her colleagues on the picket line did. Mum was a telephonist and frequently on the emergency line in the days before people could dial direct - pretty harrowing but essential.

MayBee70 Tue 21-Mar-23 10:30:11

GagaJo

Germanshepherdsmum

I doubt that parents are paid for the time they are forced to take off either - or maybe they take it from their (far less generous than teachers’) annual leave.

Don't repeat the myth of teachers generous annual leave. Teachers salaries are averaged over the year. They don't actually get paid for large parts of the holiday. Equally, they only get paid for a set number of hours a week (I forget how many - around 37.5 I think). As a teacher I worked more than double my weekly paid hours and worked (in and out of school) in holidays and always at least one day every weekend.

Teachers do not get general annual leave. There is a reason there is a teaching recruitment and retention crisis. And civvies repeating the myths of short work days and long holidays just perpetuate the problem. The public (even right wing ones) need teachers if they want a good quality of education, so while you might not agree with striking, don't demonise people who are dedicated to helping the countries children. Unlike the government who really don't give a sh*t about children in state education.

My daughter used to spend most of her holidays doing lesson plans. It was only when she left teaching that I realised how stressed she had been even though she loved teaching itself.

GagaJo Tue 21-Mar-23 10:55:52

Same here Maybee70. I really miss being in front of a class. But the 70/80 hour week was a killer and would have sent me to an early grave. Sad. It is my vocation. And I got good results and students liked me.