Gransnet forums

News & politics

Braverman's propaganda

(208 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 18-Mar-23 18:52:56

Praising the quality of the homes for our expelled refugees.

Does the woman think the British people are stupid?

Greta Sun 19-Mar-23 19:12:46

According to SB rapid progress has been made with the Rwanda agreement. It is world-leading.
Of course.

MayBee70 Sun 19-Mar-23 20:34:30

Whitewavemark2

I am sure that the Tory party having moved to the far right is beginning to leave some of its supporters behind.

I believe 40+ abstained from the vote - pity the spineless idiots didn’t vote against it.

Tugendhat and Ellwood voted for it. I honestly thought they wouldn’t.

Oreo Sun 19-Mar-23 20:47:38

If this plan to control illegal immigration works then Labour can kiss goodbye to getting the keys to Number 10.
Whatever anyone here thinks about it, it’ll be a huge vote winner.

NanKate Sun 19-Mar-23 21:00:48

For those people who disagree with moving people abroad who land on our shores, how do they propose dealing with them ?

We can’t get doctors’ appointments, there is a waiting for council properties. Would there be places in our schools ?Where are these thousands of people be housed safely ?

I want us to be humane. It’s a real conundrum.

I wonder how the Labour Party would deal with this difficult situation.

Lizbethann55 Sun 19-Mar-23 21:23:27

Two questions.
1) how many of you have hotels, hostels , other accommodation near you full of asylum seekers? I don't and however reasonable, kind, fair, nice I truly want to be, if I look deep into my honest soul, even though it is absolutely the wrong way to think, sadly, I do not want dozens or even hundreds of displaced, bored young men in the vicinity of where I live.
2) how many of you have ever been to Rwanda? I have. It is a beautiful country. It is rapidly developing and the people are delightful . And before any of you suggest that I go to live there, please consider that I, like SB , have a home, a tax paying job,a family and a history here. I am not displaced. I have not come here illegally and I am not looking for somewhere to live or a country to take me in.
And if that makes you believe me ro be a heartless, cruel, racist, then so be it.

MayBee70 Sun 19-Mar-23 22:21:46

I have a theory that the government are deliberately housing migrants/ refugees in hotels and hostels in height profile places that aggravate the local population so that people in those areas will back their Rwanda proposal. As for not being able to access public services, that’s down to years and years of Tory cut backs. These people are just being used as scapegoats. I’m so ashamed of how the rest of the world views us now.

Greta Sun 19-Mar-23 22:29:25

I, like SB , have a home, a tax paying job,a family and a history here. I am not displaced. I have not come here illegally and I am not looking for somewhere to live or a country to take me in.
In other words you are very lucky. But no room for compassion.

Casdon Sun 19-Mar-23 22:38:26

Oreo

If this plan to control illegal immigration works then Labour can kiss goodbye to getting the keys to Number 10.

As if.

Lizbethann55 Sun 19-Mar-23 23:18:00

Greta. I do have compassion. I have compassion for women and children. The old and the sick. And for anyone who comes here legally. But not for boat loads of young fit men. I know there are genuine cases of tortured and abused and genuinely terrified. But we absolutely must be realistic. We must have a fair and just way of separating the genuine from the false. And we must have a successful means of deporting those who do not need to be here. And if you have come from the continent of Africa, what is wrong with fleeing to another country in Africa?

HousePlantQueen Sun 19-Mar-23 23:24:42

I am saddened that there are still people who blame the 45000 or so people who arrived by inflatable boat last year for the lack of GP appointments and social housing. I am tired of it, tired of the relentless vicious cruel behaviour of this govt and tired of the people, smug in their safe home, who would vote for more of it

MaizieD Sun 19-Mar-23 23:54:36

Sending 200 of the 45,000 to Rwanda isn't going to do anything to solve the small boats problem.

The legislation has been on place for how long now? A year? Have there been any asylum seekers deported to Rwanda🤔

It's not going to happen.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Mar-23 06:37:39

Oreo

It won’t.

If a couple of half empty planes take off in the summer there will be delirious headlines from the dopey right wing press but it will never stop the boats until the Tories deal with the issue in a proper manner.

I sometimes wonder if the Tories see the continuation of these little boats as being in their interest as that is all they have left to fight with. That and hate and division.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Mar-23 07:01:21

I see the right wing excuse for a newspaper - Sun, Mail and Express are reporting that the Strasbourg judges are going to back down over Rwanda.

So we transport 200 asylum seekers to a ghetto in Rwanda and accept the same number in the U.K. from Rwanda.

How does that further the cause of dealing with the small boats?

Katie59 Mon 20-Mar-23 07:08:19

Rwanda is stable at present but only because of the authoritarian rule of President Kagame, as with many countries in that part of Africa it is very vulnerable. It is fighting 3 wars, Congo rebels in the west, Burundi in the south and Muslim extremists in the north.

A safe country, probably, as long as you agree with Kagame, by our standards it far removed from the freedoms we enjoy.

Calendargirl Mon 20-Mar-23 07:10:15

It costs a huge amount to house asylum seekers in hotels, and the local population aren’t happy with it.

There are now plans to house them in two disused RAF bases, also not popular.

Where do you think they should be put Greta?

We have a huge housing shortage, where do Labour and the Lib Dems suggest they go?

If they were given housing priority over a member of your family looking for accommodation, how would you feel?
Compassionate and supportive?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Mar-23 07:13:45

Calendargirl

It costs a huge amount to house asylum seekers in hotels, and the local population aren’t happy with it.

There are now plans to house them in two disused RAF bases, also not popular.

Where do you think they should be put Greta?

We have a huge housing shortage, where do Labour and the Lib Dems suggest they go?

If they were given housing priority over a member of your family looking for accommodation, how would you feel?
Compassionate and supportive?

Wouldn’t be needed if the Tories had got to grips with the situation since Brexit.

They were warned this would happen.

Project fear they said.

They couldn’t organise a p..s up in a brewery could they? Or perhaps it suits their agenda.

ronib Mon 20-Mar-23 07:41:09

Given that airports exist in Rwanda, what will stop asylum seekers/migrants from boarding the next plane out of there? Presume ability to borrow money for an airfare?

Greta Mon 20-Mar-23 07:53:21

we have a huge housing shortage
Why do we? For years we blamed the EU for all the ills in the country. Now we blame asylum seekers.

Calendargirl Mon 20-Mar-23 08:04:48

Greta

^we have a huge housing shortage^
Why do we? For years we blamed the EU for all the ills in the country. Now we blame asylum seekers.

Nor blaming the asylum seekers for creating the housing shortage, just pointing out that having to house them doesn’t help with it.

NanaDana Mon 20-Mar-23 08:19:50

The next General Election is scheduled to be held no later than January 2025, with Parliament being dissolved no later than 17 December 2024. Failing any further political disasters which might force the issue, it looks as though we may be stuck with this poisonous bunch until then. What a depressing prospect. My default vote will almost certainly go to Labour next time around, but frankly, I'm not impressed with them either. UK politics is in meltdown right now, and it looks like the economy may not be far behind it.

Lizbethann55 Mon 20-Mar-23 08:22:53

White wave. I presume you have been to Rwanda? After all, you seem to know a lot about these ghettos. Perhaps you could tell us more so that we will understand better why the refugees shouldn't be sent there. Or are you just using the same inflammatory type language that the anti small boat lobby are accused of using.

karmalady Mon 20-Mar-23 08:29:20

Callistemon21

GagaJo

Praising the quality of the homes for our expelled refugees.

Does the woman think the British people are stupid?

Perhaps she's comparing them to some of the mould-ridden, dripping hovels with collapsing ceilings that people live in in the UK.

It depends on how low the standard is set.

I completely agree

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Mar-23 08:55:48

Lizbethann55

White wave. I presume you have been to Rwanda? After all, you seem to know a lot about these ghettos. Perhaps you could tell us more so that we will understand better why the refugees shouldn't be sent there. Or are you just using the same inflammatory type language that the anti small boat lobby are accused of using.

Well a ghetto is an area where an identified group of people are living. So poor blacks in the USA, Jewish people in Poland during the Nazi occupation etc.

What would you prefer to call it?

And as for inflammatory language. I refer you to this.

“Billions of people just waiting to come to the U.K.”

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Mar-23 09:10:04

👀

Dr Iain Overton

The Rwandan government refused me a journalist visa last year to report on the death of 13 refugees there. There are numerous reports of the press in Rwanda being silenced. Can you explain how the recent killings of 13 refugees by the Rwanda police is not a concern?

Katie59 Mon 20-Mar-23 09:29:26

“Billions of people just waiting to come to the U.K.”

This is an exaggeration of course the reality is that many millions from the third world would travel to the west TOMORROW if they could. If they speak English they just want to leave the grinding poverty they live in at home and move, not just to the U.K., US, Australia, NZ, in fact because English is now universal, anywhere with prospects.