Gransnet forums

News & politics

NI and DUP

(31 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-Mar-23 13:17:33

The DUP is going to vote against Sunak’s proposal on Wednesday.

They have absolutely no intention of either settling the NI protocol or playing second fiddle to the leadership in Stormont.

Grantanow Sun 26-Mar-23 15:58:11

grumppa

The whip should certainly be withdrawn from former PMs who got us into this mess, and indeed my own MP, Ian Dimwit Smith.

Very good! Couldn't have said it better myself.

HousePlantQueen Wed 22-Mar-23 13:00:05

Whitewavemark2

This is the list so far of those hoping to bring on more chaos.

I think Sunak should make it a 3 line whip and threatened to take the whip away from any not supporting the government.

Johnson
Duncan Smith
Truss
Patel
Francois
Rees Mogg
Duddridge
Jones
Jenkyns
Bone

well, going by that list, I hope that Sunak does what Johnson did to those not supporting him ie remove the whip if they don't vote as he wishes. I would be dancing in the streets if this crowd lost the whip. Peter Bone is a silly old fart fool who regularily appears on our local politics programme on a Sunday morning, he lives in an alternative universe to the rest of us.

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 12:29:15

Farzanah

I like what Steve Baker, a NI minister, is reported as saying in the Guardian, that Johnson risked being remembered as “a pound-shop Nigel Farage” for voting against the plan.

Just amazing to watch- Baker, head of ERG, used to be Johnson's biggest fan! Wow.

winterwhite Wed 22-Mar-23 12:19:41

Wonderful, Farzanah. Guardian has good interview with Michel Barnier today on what a difference mutual goodwill with GB is making to the EU.

Farzanah Wed 22-Mar-23 12:13:56

I like what Steve Baker, a NI minister, is reported as saying in the Guardian, that Johnson risked being remembered as “a pound-shop Nigel Farage” for voting against the plan.

grumppa Wed 22-Mar-23 11:34:31

The whip should certainly be withdrawn from former PMs who got us into this mess, and indeed my own MP, Ian Dimwit Smith.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 10:17:02

I think so. Braverman is one I think but not on the list - cabinet member I suppose.

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 10:14:30

twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1545837675554422786?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1545837675554422786%7Ctwgr%5E8adfe144465c6ec5bd1ce643927f0c6b6873eb03%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thelondoneconomic.com%2Fpolitics%2Fkrishnan-guru-murthy-masterclass-nails-suella-braverman-over-erg-329234%2F

Fleurpepper Wed 22-Mar-23 10:12:45

Whitewavemark2

I think Sunak should make it a 3 line whip and threatened to take the whip away from any not supporting the government.

Johnson
Duncan Smith
Truss
Patel
Francois
Rees Mogg
Duddridge
Jones
Jenkyns
Bone

I know an official list doesn't exist (and how wrong is that!!!) but are they all ERG?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 10:01:59

Then he will appear weak.

Katie59 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:56:43

“I think Sunak should make it a 3 line whip and threatened to take the whip away from any not supporting the government. “

There is no point he has given up on them and nobody is likely to challenge him as leader, he wants to appear as reasonable as possible and build a decent relationship with EU.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:44:46

Johnson
Duncan Smith
Truss
Patel
Francois
Rees Mogg
Duddridge
Jones
Jenkyns
Bone

volver3 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:39:06

😁😁😁 Oh I know, its not a laughing matter.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:35:43

volver3

I've just read that Johnson and Truss are both voting against the deal. What is wrong with them?

How long have you got?

volver3 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:34:41

I've just read that Johnson and Truss are both voting against the deal. What is wrong with them?

Grantanow Wed 22-Mar-23 09:09:21

The only reason the DUP are holding NI to ransom is they don't want to play second fiddle to a Sinn Fein First Minister. Voters in NI should not vote for them if they want a functioning government there.

Katie59 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:41:42

It’s good to see Labour co-operating on this, it improves their credibility a lot and allows us to move away from extremist politics.

Fleurpepper Tue 21-Mar-23 12:11:18

DUP + ERG - the most disastrous 'alliance' ever, and causing massive damage to the country and all of us.

How long can we allow them to scupper the country for their own benefit?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:05:11

On the other hand, the DUP are very good at brinkmanship, so it may be just a case of squeezing Sunak for more concessions.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 02:12:48

Oh and predictably the ERG are once again joining forces with the DUP to hold the country to ransom.

It really is time that the Tory leadership faced these disrupters down.

We’ve had years of chaos because of their activity, and now they appear to be planning to plunge the U.K. into another unnecessary crises.

Sunak needs to threaten them with withdrawing the whip otherwise he is going to look very weak.

He has Labour support, so there is no danger of the agreement failing.

The DUP will not have the majority of support in NI. Their position is untenable and May well threaten peace.

Wyllow3 Mon 20-Mar-23 20:44:45

Well, they effectively removed Teresa May from power by holding back on negotiations- my, the online discussions about NI at the time and fears re Good Friday agreement.

And I recall so long spent in the HoC spent on this one issue - when goodness knows we had other things to get on with because already issues like the Care system were on the table.

Yet their power has shrunk perhaps party because of delays. Maybe this is a sad wake up call as to a long history that is so hard to resolve.

Can anyone think, "OK, whats in it for them?" "where's the hidden agenda?"

beyond me.

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 20:28:37

How long are we going to let the DUP run the country, no, not NI- the UK!?!

This is so so wrong.

varian Mon 20-Mar-23 14:22:59

At last year's Stormont election the DUP's vote fell to 21.3%

They do not speak for the people of Northern Ireland.

Riverwalk Mon 20-Mar-23 14:18:06

Yes, entirely predictable and based on ideology.

What do they want?

From what I can see they have the best of both worlds - unlike the rest of us.

Wyllow3 Mon 20-Mar-23 14:16:22

The news suggested not what Sunak wants, because he wants his party to be behind him on this one.

I really do not know what the DUP are holding out for.

The why is sadly obvious - there are still people who are so sectarian that they can't look at the wellbeing of the people as a whole.

If only Gladstone had prevailed in 1886...