Gransnet forums

News & politics

Well done by Led by Donkeys!

(51 Posts)
CvD66 Sat 25-Mar-23 20:16:08

Led by Donkeys have conducted investigations into the desire by MPs for 2nd jobs. Their latest investigation confirm that Matt Hancock and Kwasi Kwarteng tout themselves at £10,000 per day. In the middle of a cost of living crisis when constituents needs their MPs to support them, they proved that Matt (do anything for money!) Hancock and Kwasi are prepared to accept approaches from overseas businesses. Led by Donkeys established Tories are the most willing to accept foreign engagements. Oh for a time when MPs' focus their work on their constituents and their needs. More to come out in the following days!

DillytheGardener Sat 25-Mar-23 20:22:25

My son sent me the video. Absolutely appalling.

Siope Sat 25-Mar-23 20:37:37

Link to the first video in the series

twitter.com/bydonkeys/status/1639689865238306816?s=46&t=cR0Pa_B5bkzj2u6O2LXngQ

Shinamae Sat 25-Mar-23 20:50:14

I’m afraid I can’t watch the video as it would do my blood pressure no good at all..😬

Wyllow3 Sat 25-Mar-23 21:44:06

Yup. Just disgusted.

Greedy, self serving....

MayBee70 Sat 25-Mar-23 22:44:58

Front page of The Guardian tomorrow! And there’s more to come I believe. Why would Kwarteng think that anyone would pay him thousands of pounds for financial advice when he’d almost single handedly crashed the economy of a whole country?

Wyllow3 Sat 25-Mar-23 22:50:26

How to crash an economy single handedly? Useful for dictatorships over the world?

Siope Sat 25-Mar-23 23:00:52

The real issue, of course, is why MPs having second (third, fourth, etc) jobs is allowed at all, unless it’s a genuine public service role, with very limited hours.

Ginny42 Sun 26-Mar-23 05:05:54

This must be why the House looks empty quite often when I'm watching. Rows of vacant seats. I always thought they must be back in their constituencies working hard for the people who voted them into Parliament.

Perhaps when JRM lay on the front bench he was trying to make it look full! I actually gasped at the arrogance of the man.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Mar-23 07:56:35

I found it unsurprising - and very amusing - you could almost see the pound signs in their eyes! We need more of this!

Rosalyn69 Sun 26-Mar-23 08:14:17

There is no limit to their egos. 😂

rosie1959 Sun 26-Mar-23 08:24:21

Even more surprising they are attending Zoom interviews for a Company that does not exist. Would they not do a background check on the Company first ?

toscalily Sun 26-Mar-23 10:17:53

Greedy & gullible what a great combination, obviously makes them highly suitable to be MP's grin

Grantanow Sun 26-Mar-23 11:36:00

Disgraceful. Kwarteng should be deselected by his local Tory Party. Hancock too unless he is really standing down.

Fleurpepper Sun 26-Mar-23 11:38:58

rosie1959

Even more surprising they are attending Zoom interviews for a Company that does not exist. Would they not do a background check on the Company first ?

That was my first thought. People who had such massive responsibility running the country, and not doing basic checks first. Just incredible, and incredibly worrying too.

And had not prepared figures in advance - oh we can't talk about figures later. WHAT??? (tf!)

MaizieD Sun 26-Mar-23 11:42:56

^ People who had such massive responsibility running the country, and not doing basic checks first.^

And they're supposedly the 'talented' ones who rose to ministerial posts... What must the rest of them be like?

(Though of course, we already know that both Hancock and Kwarteng were grossly over promoted)

biglouis Sun 26-Mar-23 11:51:33

Kwartang and Truss should be made criminally bankrupt and made to live in a B&B hostel.

foxie48 Sun 26-Mar-23 11:57:30

Goodness, what a shower! So "in it for the money" that they don't even do basic checks before getting in touch and talking money. It just makes me sick!

Bossyrossy Sun 26-Mar-23 12:28:39

In my previous life as a headteacher, there is no way either I or my staff would consider or indeed, have been allowed to take on a second job. I think most professions would be the same. We are all too busy and dedicated to our work to find the time or have the desire to take a second job. MPs have their committees, constituents, and House duties to take care of. If they are taking on additional consultancy work or being directors of companies, then they are neglecting their role as an MP. Don't vote for MPs who are taking time away from their political commitments to earn an additional salary to line their already well-paid pockets. And the reason they give about gaining valuable experience that they can use as an MP is a load of old codswallop, they're doing it for the money.

Dinahmo Sun 26-Mar-23 12:45:08

Hancock and Kwarteng must have ginormous egos to think that they're worth £10k per day. Given their track record as MPs I don't think that they're worth £10k per annum.

Shinamae Sun 26-Mar-23 13:00:47

I didn’t want to watch the link, but I saw it on sky news this morning and it makes me absolutely sick….
Our poor country is on its knees, and it’s a lot to do with this stinking corrupt government

Siope Sun 26-Mar-23 13:06:56

Dinahmo

Hancock and Kwarteng must have ginormous egos to think that they're worth £10k per day. Given their track record as MPs I don't think that they're worth £10k per annum.

They are worth £10k a day to some because they are MPs. Cash for access.

Next video will drop on all Led By Donkey’s social media channels at 2pm.

nanna8 Sun 26-Mar-23 13:11:31

Isn’t it illegal for an MP to moonlight ? It certainly should be.

MaizieD Sun 26-Mar-23 14:30:23

nanna8

Nope. They can moonlight at will. Just as long as they don't lobby Parliament on behalf of the company that is paying them. That's what did for Owen Paterson.

Chardy Sun 26-Mar-23 16:02:48

nanna8

Some occupations (eg being a nurse or a doctor) demand that the person keeps up their practice. And frankly over the last few years, I'm pleased a few MPs know what life is LinkedIn NHS, outside the rarefied atmosphere of Westminster.
But do I think they should they be able to use their MP credentials to make stupid money, fronting businesses? Absolutely not.