Gransnet forums

News & politics

Asylum seekers unhappy at Stratford- upon- Avon Hotel

(162 Posts)
lemsip Sat 25-Mar-23 21:16:36

And asylum seekers are also frequently unhappy about languishing in sometimes isolated hotels, and unable to work due to strict rules, a MailOnline investigation has found.

Typical were asylum seekers staying at the three-star Grosvenor Hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, who told of their unhappiness about their living arrangements.
one said: 'It's awful here and there are too many problems. We don't want to be living all together in a hotel, we want a house so we can be independent.'

Speaking in the grounds of the hotel which had a multi-million-pound refurbishment before closing to paying guests five months ago, she moaned: 'No one likes living here.

'We all hate it and we are shut in our rooms all day with nothing to do. The hotel is very, very bad. We want a proper home.'

MayBee70 Mon 27-Mar-23 19:55:26

£6 million a day is a very small amount when it comes to the economy of a country. Billions were lost buying useless PPE. And Kwartengs budget probably lost billions too. The government issue figures like that because they know people will react to it. And it’s £6 million a day because they aren’t dealing with the problem properly. Anyway, I thought brexit was all about solving it. I mean, we’ve taken back control, haven’t we?

Katie59 Mon 27-Mar-23 21:16:49

MayBee70

£6 million a day is a very small amount when it comes to the economy of a country. Billions were lost buying useless PPE. And Kwartengs budget probably lost billions too. The government issue figures like that because they know people will react to it. And it’s £6 million a day because they aren’t dealing with the problem properly. Anyway, I thought brexit was all about solving it. I mean, we’ve taken back control, haven’t we?

It’s £6m a day that could be spent on the NHS.

JaneJudge Mon 27-Mar-23 21:21:54

Or building new social housing in Stratford as it had been overwhelmed with second homes that are AirBNBs etc that are left empty a lot of the time?

Empty towns need a low paid flexible work force after all

MaizieD Mon 27-Mar-23 22:43:35

Katie59

MayBee70

It’s £6m a day that could be spent on the NHS.

There is no reason why £6million a day can't be spent on the NHS. Government just has to authorise payment of the bills. It's their political will alone that is stopping them, nothing to do with the money. They managed to create and spend £billions on covid at no detriment at all to the country.

Katie59 Tue 28-Mar-23 07:24:12

JaneJudge

Or building new social housing in Stratford as it had been overwhelmed with second homes that are AirBNBs etc that are left empty a lot of the time?

Actually social housing is reasonably good in Stratford, my son got a brand new house after only 2 months on the waiting list, other areas are worse I’m sure.
The NHS is dire, emergencies only, a shadow of 5 yrs ago GP services barely exist.

MayBee70 Tue 28-Mar-23 10:21:54

Sunak is going to be grilled about all of this by the liaison committee this afternoon.

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 10:26:56

Katie59

JaneJudge

Actually social housing is reasonably good in Stratford, my son got a brand new house after only 2 months on the waiting list, other areas are worse I’m sure.
The NHS is dire, emergencies only, a shadow of 5 yrs ago GP services barely exist.

Only Two months on the waiting list before he gets a house 😲that is absolutely unheard of in this area. People are on the waiting list for years and often put in unsuitable accommodation (B&B)even when they have small children…

JaneJudge Tue 28-Mar-23 10:42:30

Same here shinamae but I’m glad Katie’s son had a good experience ❤️

Katie59 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:55:24

JaneJudge

There are a lot of houses being built in this area and a lot of social housing being incorporated, DS and his wife are both working but cannot afford a mortgage, they can however afford a fair rent on a nice 2 bed semi, that I’m sure made a difference, the housing association has to balance its books.
We did stay over dog sitting for a few days, quality is pretty good, small garden but adequate for young kids.

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 15:11:25

Katie59

JaneJudge

There are a lot of houses being built in this area and a lot of social housing being incorporated, DS and his wife are both working but cannot afford a mortgage, they can however afford a fair rent on a nice 2 bed semi, that I’m sure made a difference, the housing association has to balance its books.
We did stay over dog sitting for a few days, quality is pretty good, small garden but adequate for young kids.

Very well done to your son.(my next door neighbours.are in local authority house and I was surprised how much rent they pay for three bedroom, and I think it’s gone up recently again, obviously cheaper than private rented, but still not cheap like council housing used to be)
My son is a bricklayer and they work mainly on Estates at the moment and a proportion of new houses built has to be social housing, but it doesn’t seem to touch the sides in this area of North Devon..
This is predominantly a council estate and I was lucky enough to be able to buy my house, but recently they knocked a lot of prefabs down and honestly the houses built to replace them,look like Lego houses and I don’t think they’ll last very long at all.. my house was built in the 50s, so built “proper”🤓

DiamondLily Tue 28-Mar-23 15:24:17

Katie59

JaneJudge

Jeez, in London and part of the SE, they are looking at about 10 years on a waiting list, if they ever get to the top ....😳

Glad that it worked for your family though.😉