Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump did sexually abuse.

(62 Posts)
Wyllow3 Tue 09-May-23 21:18:51

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65502076

"Donald Trump sexually abused and defamed writer E Jean Carroll, a New York jury finds in civil case"

I hope its the start of what is due to this man.

maddyone Wed 10-May-23 11:00:13

I agree Maizie and I don’t agree that appointments to the HofL should be the gift of politicians either. Actually I don’t agree with even having a HofL but possibly there should be some sort of a second chamber.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-May-23 11:00:46

MaizieD

^along with the visuals of tent cities cropping up in many States which apparently have increased since Joe Biden has been in office.^

Is this because although Biden is desperately injecting money into the US economy to encourage growth the US Central Bank is stymying his efforts by constantly increasing interest rates?

No idea MaizieD I am not an expert on American politics.

The news item I saw was highlighting the the cause and effects of Fentanyl and its correlation with the unemployed/unemployable.

They were trying to explain which came first the tent cities or the drug use. (Basically the chicken and egg situation)

lyleLyle Wed 10-May-23 11:30:33

Katie59

It seems that Trump thinks he can kiss any attractive female he wishes, wether she wants it or not, the jury said that is sexual assault. The woman was awarded £5m for defamation because he called her a liar, it was a civil case and he probably did kiss her. So he deserved everything he got

What I’m concerned about is that she also accused him of rape, for which there seemed to be no basis at all. The woman was shown smiling as she left court, I would not have been if he had only been convicted of defamation.

The incident happened years ago. What basis are you looking for exactly? Should she be hysterically crying in 2023? It amazes me how some women will look for any reason whatsoever to discredit another woman. What are you implying here exactly? That because you wouldn’t be able to muster a smile after a victory against a famous, sexually assaulting bully, the woman’s credibility is in question? What I’m concerned about is in 2023 there are women who think like this still around. But I feel pleased that most younger women of today do not think like this, and therefore the mentality will soon die out.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 10-May-23 11:35:10

Germanshepherdsmum - absolutely. Which century are these people living in? Not the same one as me, apparently.

lyleLyle Wed 10-May-23 11:35:52

MaizieD

^ To top his status as a victim, he says the Judge was a Clinton appointment.^

This is precisely why appointments to the judiciary should never be in the gift of a politician.

This is how it works. It’s not a basis for an appeal just because Trump says so. He appointed more federal judges in his 4 years than nearly any other president. No one is going to grant him a new trial just because some judge was appointed by a president decades ago just because Trump no longer likes that former president. Just because Trump said it and someone printed it doesn’t mean it’s valid. The guy is a goof. A goof with low IQ supporters who is backed by smarter people who know they can take advantage of a low IQ electorate. I can throw a tonne of sh!t at the wall and see what sticks too. Trump does the same…every single day.

lyleLyle Wed 10-May-23 11:42:05

Grannygravy13,

Fentanyl and the unemployment rate have nothing to do with each other, despite whatever reaching programme you saw. I’ve lived in the US for decades. Bad policies by incompetent politicians have everything to do with the crumbling economy. The US has not recovered from the incompetence that was the Covid handling by this sexually assaulting maniac. Biden is clueless and doesn’t have a strong team around him. The drug problem in the US is a decades long issue that cannot be blamed as the culprit here. Fentanyl is the relatively new kid on the block. Before that it was heroin and crack-cocaine. Drugs are a symptom, not the source.

Katie59 Wed 10-May-23 14:00:48

“The woman’s credibility is is in question”
The jury did not believe her!.

Are you saying that every woman that makes an accusation of rape is automatically believed, or are you saying that anyone who accuses Trump must be believed

We have all got sons or husbands do you believe that all accusations made against them must be true.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-May-23 14:06:26

Katie59

Are you saying that every woman that makes an accusation of rape is automatically believed, or are you saying that anyone who accuses Trump must be believed

We have all got sons or husbands do you believe that all accusations made against them must be true.

Not quite katie59

The jury decided that on the balance of probabilities they could not say definitely that the woman was raped by Trump.

That is a lot different from saying that they didn’t believe her.

Rape is notoriously difficult to prove, which is why the woman chose civil rather than criminal court where the bar for conviction is tightly higher.

lyleLyle Wed 10-May-23 15:20:36

Katie59

You are interpreting the jury’s finding how you want to, rather than actually reading the words of the decision.

Whether or not I have sons is irrelevant. My sons don’t think or speak like Trump. We raised them better. If you read a fraction of what he said and your first thought goes to whether not he’s a victim of a false accusation, god help the women who encounter the men in your life who also think this way.

Katie59 Wed 10-May-23 15:53:50

It was a political decision with no consequences, if I had been on the jury I would have believed that he most likely did “sexually abuse” the woman, that is entirely credible and he deserved the penalty which means nothing to him

The “Rape” accusation is not credible, nor that it ruined her life, the woman could not even say for certain which year it was 30yrs ago.

Some of you are saying that EVERY accusation is automatically fact which is a very long way from reality.

kissngate Wed 10-May-23 16:36:05

Firstly I don't like Trump at all however I'm going to throw a spanner in the works. Yes she won £4m for defamation however the charges against him were vague. She went voluntarily with him into a lingerie cubicle in a large department store closing the door behind her. She couldn't say what year it took place (1995 or 1996) never mind what month or day. She admits she was flirting with him and they kissed. However she then said he raped her it wasn't consensual. She didn't scream or shout out loud nor did she say anything afterwards. She mentioned it to two friends a few years ago and only managed to sue him because the state changed the law last year. She won the case mainly on libel because when she wrote in a magazine article about it he denied it and made fun of her. A very unpleasant man but I'm not sure about the rest.

MayBee70 Wed 10-May-23 17:31:52

Maybe the fact that he boasted on camera that he carried mints with him because he never knew when the opportunity would arise in which he could kiss someone went against him.Even that, imo should have been enough to stop people voting for him. But his supporters seem to suffer from selective deafness when it comes to his transgressions.

lyleLyle Wed 10-May-23 18:46:03

Katie59

It was a political decision with no consequences, if I had been on the jury I would have believed that he most likely did “sexually abuse” the woman, that is entirely credible and he deserved the penalty which means nothing to him

The “Rape” accusation is not credible, nor that it ruined her life, the woman could not even say for certain which year it was 30yrs ago.

Some of you are saying that EVERY accusation is automatically fact which is a very long way from reality.

Politics has nothing to do with it. It’s sick that you admit he sexually abused her right after minimizing this to politics. As I said, the women-hating attitudes are dying out and you can stay in the past all you like.

You don’t know anything about that woman’s personal struggle to declare her life wasn’t ruined. No one has a right to determine that for her, jury or not.

As for what SOME of “us” are saying, your position is so weak that you have to invent a point to argue. That says everything.

lyleLyle Wed 10-May-23 18:50:04

kissngate

Firstly I don't like Trump at all however I'm going to throw a spanner in the works. Yes she won £4m for defamation however the charges against him were vague. She went voluntarily with him into a lingerie cubicle in a large department store closing the door behind her. She couldn't say what year it took place (1995 or 1996) never mind what month or day. She admits she was flirting with him and they kissed. However she then said he raped her it wasn't consensual. She didn't scream or shout out loud nor did she say anything afterwards. She mentioned it to two friends a few years ago and only managed to sue him because the state changed the law last year. She won the case mainly on libel because when she wrote in a magazine article about it he denied it and made fun of her. A very unpleasant man but I'm not sure about the rest.

Thank God your opinion didn’t count for anything. The man admitted he thinks his celebrity status gives him and other powerful men the right to assault women.

A woman has a right to say no at any point whatsoever. You think trying to shame her makes her less of a victim? It says as much about you as this case does about Trump. Nothing good. She isn’t the one looking bad here.

Iam64 Wed 10-May-23 20:44:23

Kissngate, victim blaming is never a good look. Trump openly said being rich n famous means he can grab pussy, ‘they’ll let you do anything’
Your criticisms of the victim - not screaming, not recalling the exact date, admitting flirting etc - none of this excuses the sexual predators behaviour

Norah Wed 10-May-23 22:00:00

Iam64

Kissngate, victim blaming is never a good look. Trump openly said being rich n famous means he can grab pussy, ‘they’ll let you do anything’
Your criticisms of the victim - not screaming, not recalling the exact date, admitting flirting etc - none of this excuses the sexual predators behaviour

Quite.

Frankly, I'd not recall an exact date. Can't 'be wrong' if no date is given, defense can't 'find a diary entry' for a wrong date either.

kissngate Wed 10-May-23 23:23:46

LyleLyle - your comments about my character and opinions say far more about you than they do about me. Love your name by the way LyleLyle the Singing Crocodile.

imaround Thu 11-May-23 00:09:06

lyleLyle

Grannygravy13,

Fentanyl and the unemployment rate have nothing to do with each other, despite whatever reaching programme you saw. I’ve lived in the US for decades. Bad policies by incompetent politicians have everything to do with the crumbling economy. The US has not recovered from the incompetence that was the Covid handling by this sexually assaulting maniac. Biden is clueless and doesn’t have a strong team around him. The drug problem in the US is a decades long issue that cannot be blamed as the culprit here. Fentanyl is the relatively new kid on the block. Before that it was heroin and crack-cocaine. Drugs are a symptom, not the source.

Standing ovation. This is 100%.

And Biden isn't injecting money into the economy. Interest rates have to rise to curb inflation. Inflation is what causes people to not be able to pay their rent and groceries.

I just got groceries today. My teens favorite snack was $3.00 more then it was when I bought it a month ago.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-May-23 05:28:00

You need to live In the U.K. - our inflation is worse than the USA and our energy bills are off the scale.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-May-23 05:32:25

lylelyle you make some good points, and I agree.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-May-23 08:08:47

The latest idiocy from Trump.

At a Town Hall hosted by CNN.

He is willing to default on the debt causing massive economic outfall to the USA

He refuses to take Ukraines side in the war or say that he doesn’t support Putin.

Refused to say that he would not take the side of the anti-abortionists..

Is considering pardoning the January 6th rioters.

Still reckons the 2020 election was fraudulent.

And still they vote for him.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 11-May-23 08:46:52

You couldn’t make it up.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 11-May-23 09:21:52

The USA’s standing as leader of the Western world, democracy that the rest of the world look up to… etc., etc., has taken a massive knock since trump was POTUS. If he is re-elected, I am not sure what will become of them.

lyleLyle Thu 11-May-23 11:15:24

Whitewavemark2

The latest idiocy from Trump.

At a Town Hall hosted by CNN.

He is willing to default on the debt causing massive economic outfall to the USA

He refuses to take Ukraines side in the war or say that he doesn’t support Putin.

Refused to say that he would not take the side of the anti-abortionists..

Is considering pardoning the January 6th rioters.

Still reckons the 2020 election was fraudulent.

And still they vote for him.

This is the scary part. That he will still get enough votes to at least make it an election, possibly even win.

His own party wants to move on from him, but there is a huge part of the US population who are as rabidly obtuse as he is. People like to dismiss him and the angry bigots who voted for him. But they cannot be ignored. Their voting power is a force to reckon with, unfortunately.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 11-May-23 12:14:31

I continue to be astonished by his female followers. Are they OK with him "grabbing " their "pussy? Or their that of their daughter/ granddaughter/ sister/friends? This man with his hideous and dangerous views surely has no place in the White House. He wouldn't be offered a cup of tea in mine - ( small semi by the sea, since you ask)