Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lords lay into the governments illegal migration bill

(522 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-May-23 16:42:59

Huge criticism from all sides.

Yet another Braverman ghastly bill.

ronib Thu 18-May-23 08:31:15

Ps brains the sizes of walnuts and pine nuts should cope…. It’s that level of tedium.

ronib Thu 18-May-23 08:15:16

The figures are available online for overseas students and dependents. Maybe no breakdown of family size ? but increase in dependents is shown.
Bit tedious to research .

growstuff Thu 18-May-23 08:02:16

Oreo

Seems to me that a few posters on here just like playing games of one upmanship, implying how clever they are ( god only knows if they are or not btw) and don’t really care about the subject.
My view on the student/ dependents is that if the student is married they should be allowed to come and live here for the duration of the course as long as they are completely self funding.If married with children then no, and why is the student applying to do a course here in that case.
A family of seven is just crazy and this should be reversed in my opinion.

What numbers are you talking about? How many students come to the UK with families?

growstuff Thu 18-May-23 07:59:19

... or a pine nut.

MaizieD Thu 18-May-23 07:44:35

How many students bring with them families of seven?

I cannot believe what I am reading on recent N & P threads. Minds seem to be shrinking to the size of a walnut..

ronib Thu 18-May-23 06:53:56

Ww2 SB has her back against the wall in terms of accommodation - there’s criticism of housing migrants in four star hotels, also uproar when disused army barracks were looked at and ships and boats don’t look too popular either.

In my area, rents for a single room have risen from £700 a month to £900. So I don’t know why any government thinks that there should be no minimum standards in houses of multiple occupation. The rents charged are very high and tenants are entitled to minimum levels of safety and comfort. This is simply wrong and I hope the major housing charities speak out and force a rethink.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-May-23 06:25:54

Two things I’ve read recently about immigration.

1. Sunak admitted yesterday that he will not fulfill his manifesto pledge obverse the reduction of total immigrants.

2. Braverman is after getting rid of rules that govern houses of multiple occupation, which governs things like gas and electrical safety, size of rooms to let, infestation, damp etc etc.
She is hoping to do this because she figures that they are filled with migrants, and so can cram even more into tinier and tinier spaces. Resulting in the spread of diseases that has not been heard of in this country since Victorian times, like diphtheria.

However, migrants are not the only occupants of such places. Think students, single people etc. so even if you are content to see migrants suffer perhaps you would draw the line at your grandchildren suffering the same rat infested dangerous conditions.

Primrose53 Tue 16-May-23 20:41:25

Sensible post Oreo.👏

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-May-23 17:53:43

There is no hope.

volver3 Tue 16-May-23 17:29:15

You mean give up because other people don't like being told when they're wrong?

No, that's not going to happen.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-May-23 17:25:19

You can stop playing the oneupmanship game volver, that’s what you can do.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-May-23 17:23:48

Of course, that’s why I couldn’t read (or not in detail) the graph you posted earlier - imperfect data transmission.

Oreo, you are very perceptive and I entirely agree with what you say.

volver3 Tue 16-May-23 17:19:55

Its imperfect data transmission, isn't it? Something is said without corroboration, then a bit is added, some information is posted that doesn't agree with a strongly held but baseless idea, and there is indignation and denial all over the place.

I want our country and it's inhabitants to decide what is the right thing to do based on truths. Not on a complete misunderstanding of how the world works and what anyone "just knows" is good for the rest of us.

If people think that's just gamesmanship I can't do anything about that.

Oreo Tue 16-May-23 16:55:02

Seems to me that a few posters on here just like playing games of one upmanship, implying how clever they are ( god only knows if they are or not btw) and don’t really care about the subject.
My view on the student/ dependents is that if the student is married they should be allowed to come and live here for the duration of the course as long as they are completely self funding.If married with children then no, and why is the student applying to do a course here in that case.
A family of seven is just crazy and this should be reversed in my opinion.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-May-23 16:39:42

Tell that to the families who can’t rent suitable accommodation in university cities.

volver3 Tue 16-May-23 16:36:15

Overseas students and their families are good for the UK and are generating lots of money.

no, no, its not true, it can't be... they are taking our precious bodily fluids

(Dr Strangelove reference there...)

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-May-23 16:32:13

And I think that’s the main concern - the vast majority of accommodation provided specifically for students, whether by universities or the private sector, is not suitable for families. A student plus possibly partner (at a stretch in most cases) only. So accommodation suitable for families is taken up and, if there is a child, nursery/school places too. Those are important additional costs, and most foreign students will be living in university cities such as, but obviously not only, London, Oxford and Cambridge where accommodation is very expensive. The demand is increased, the supply is static, the cost rises accordingly.

volver3 Tue 16-May-23 16:30:55

Ah well. I tried.

ronib Tue 16-May-23 16:28:32

Not sure that helps…. But nice try.

volver3 Tue 16-May-23 16:27:12

ronib

DH and I were talking about Mao over afternoon coffee.

(I might not have all the details right, but this is relevant, stick with me...)

It was noticed that sparrows were eating up all the grain that had been planted across China, so there was a directive to kill all the sparrows. There was a bounty on sparrows. Everyone was killing sparrows, their number became trivial in comparison to what it had been. So, much of the grain planted, did survive.

But all the pests that the sparrows also fed on thrived, bed bugs and locusts I believe.

So my point is, just because something looks good in the short term, you have to think if it will be worthwhile in the end and what the unintended consequences might be.

ronib Tue 16-May-23 16:25:34

Growing the beard V3?

ronib Tue 16-May-23 16:17:38

We weren’t confined to talking about bedsit accommodation but bringing dependents over and families require more than one bedsit. Thus taking from a very scarce commodity.

volver3 Tue 16-May-23 16:13:01

ronib

V3 also you do understand that for every student family housed in accommodation, there is one less unit available for the very long queue of homeless families already living here?

We've jumped the shark.

🦈

growstuff Tue 16-May-23 16:09:35

ronib

V3 also you do understand that for every student family housed in accommodation, there is one less unit available for the very long queue of homeless families already living here?

A purpose-built student bedsit wouldn't be suitable for a family.

growstuff Tue 16-May-23 16:08:50

ronib

Also of course we still have the problem of grossly inadequate healthcare, housing supply and huge price inflation.

Also the energy sector is holding the country to ransom… that is your specialty?

How does an increase in the amount students bring into the economy increase inflation?

The report claims that the economy benefits, not just universities. Indirectly, that money is funding the NHS, not taking away from it. As most students are young, they need healthcare less than the average anyway. The biggest users of the NHS are young children, the elderly and pregnant women - students are unlikely to fall into any of those categories.

As for housing, most students don't occupy family homes. Anybody who lives in a university town/city probably knows that there's an increase in building student bedsits specifically for overseas students, which wouldn't be suitable for families. On the other hand, they offer opportunities for regeneration of some of our cities and bring money into the local economies.